Thread: Public liability insurance?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Public liability insurance?

A friend of mine has been asked to teach a small group of people at a local gym but the gym has also asked for my friend to have public liability insurance cover.

Can anyone offer any advice on this...

Who to approach, i.e. recommended company

What/who to avoid? etc

Anything one should be aware of?

Thanks in advance
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Public liability insurance?

Try here ma dear...

I would have though the people employing your friend would provide the insurance

If not, often trade associations eg the BAFI often can offer advice

IMHO regardless of what insurance you take, unless you are an employee, I would recommend the addition protection of working or trading ”behind” a limited Company.

I had nasty experience were Independent Insurance admitted liability on my behalf and then promptly went bust

Wouldn't the gym have PLI of their own.They surely can't operate without some kind of insurance.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Wouldn't the gym have PLI of their own.They surely can't operate without some kind of insurance.
    Often places have their own insurance that covers people using the venue for their own event, but if a thrid party was to run an event, then they would not be covered ie... a gym hall would have a certain risk and an insurance policy will cover that, but if a class teaching knife juggling wanted to use the hall, it would be unreasonable for the gyms insurance company to cover the extra risk involved

Also venues PLI will be for fixtures and fittings and would cover things like if a person using the venue fell over loose carpet, but would not cover someone taking on an extra risk (such as sport etc)

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    A friend of mine has been asked to teach a small group of people at a local gym but the gym has also asked for my friend to have public liability insurance cover.

Can anyone offer any advice on this...

Who to approach, i.e. recommended company

What/who to avoid? etc

Anything one should be aware of?

Thanks in advance
    We have used "Events insurance" for a number of years now. I am sure they could help...their premiums are some of the best around..So far!

Most gyms and health clubs do have their own PLI, but it is in place for employees of the club, not necessarily freelance instructors.

While you are on the subject it is also worthwhile seeing if the club requires your pal to have her own music licence as again, although the club will be covered to play music, it often only covers the club and not the instructor!!

Have a look at www.exerciseregister.org for possible links to insurers. This is the REP's website (register of exercise professionals) and is regarded highly among those within the industry. REP's will also recommend that to be correctly insured, your friend should only teach freelance classes of which she is competent/qualified. Here lies the ambiguity as competent does not necessarily mean the same as qualified!

And as a final parting shot...your friend should expect somewhere in the region of £20-35 per hour as a freelance instructor. If she is offered less than 20 quid, they are chancing it.

Cool Re: Public liability insurance?

Hi there,

Have you found the information you were looking for regarding Public Liability Insurance?

I know that there's a good online website that provides all sorts of business insurance, including Public Liability. It works by doing an online comparison so you get a comprehensive list of quotes from a good range of different Public Liability Insurance providers. Have you tried anything like that?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningStar View Post
    I know that there's a good online website that provides all sorts of business insurance, including Public Liability. It works by doing an online comparison so you get a comprehensive list of quotes from a good range of different Public Liability Insurance providers. Have you tried anything like that?
    Such a site is mentioned on post #2 on this thread (and i can recommend it as thats where i got mine). Did you even read the thread? Why make this your first post ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Such a site is mentioned on post #2 on this thread (and i can recommend it as thats where i got mine). Did you even read the thread? Why make this your first post ?
    Don't be put off by DS's response to your 1st post SS, he's well known as a GOB, even though he's not all that old

Commercial Operator

I think what DS really meant was: 'Welcome to the Forum'. You have to read between the lines a little

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I think what DS really meant was: 'Welcome to the Forum'. You have to read between the lines a little
    There was a wink at the end - whaddya want?!

Hey, I did actually read the second post but it wasn't that website that I was talking about. Its another one called Constructaquote. Have a look. Let me know if its better than the one you went for?

I think I should say thanks

I have my own restaurant and have been using Constructaquote for my public liability insurance. They've been extremel helpful in terms of providing advice and the purchasing process has been quite easy. Check them out.

Hope this helps.

Why do I get the impression ShiningStar works for Constructaquote? Only 4 posts in a dance forum all in this thread only?!

My conspiracy theory gland is going haywire! :P

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    Why do I get the impression ShiningStar works for Constructaquote? Only 4 posts in a dance forum all in this thread only?!

My conspiracy theory gland is going haywire! :P
    Haywire is right - there was also a link to a price comparison website. Even if that firm came top it is consistent with satisfied customer postings.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningStar View Post
    I have my own restaurant and have been using Constructaquote for my public liability insurance. They've been extremel helpful in terms of providing advice and the purchasing process has been quite easy. Check them out.

Hope this helps.
    I use constructaquote for all my house hold stains and can highly recommend them

www.constructaquotehouseholdstains.com

Thread Information