Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call Prevention Registry

Angry Call Prevention Registry

I've spent the morning doing work at home, emailing galleries etc. In the last hour alone, I've received no less than 3 sales calls. I put my number and details on the Call Prevention Registry ages ago, but it's never seemed to make any difference whatsoever. And the calls come at any time of day, and 7 days a week! I got one at 21.20 last night, too, and have also received them early on Sunday mornings!

Does anyone else have a better experience with the CPR? Has it stopped nuisance phone calls? Or has it just carried on as before, or got even worse?

What's your way of dealing with these calls? I generally just hang up, as I just can't be bothered even being polite any more.

Re: Call Prevention Registry

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I've spent the morning doing work at home, emailing galleries etc. In the last hour alone, I've received no less than 3 sales calls. I put my number and details on the Call Prevention Registry ages ago, but it's never seemed to make any difference whatsoever. And the calls come at any time of day, and 7 days a week! I got one at 21.20 last night, too, and have also received them early on Sunday mornings!

Does anyone else have a better experience with the CPR? Has it stopped nuisance phone calls? Or has it just carried on as before, or got even worse?

What's your way of dealing with these calls? I generally just hang up, as I just can't be bothered even being polite any more.
    I have never heard of that Call Prevention Registry? I was told to go with the Telephone Preference Service (Tpsonline.org.uk) and only got one telemarketing call in the last 3 years (who incidentally hung up as soon as I mentioned I was on the TPS).

I would suggest registering your number there.

I use the Telephone Preference Service, and that has worked pretty well for non-automated sales calls.

However, I find I now get something like 5 automated calls (where there's just a recording on the other end) per day. I'm not sure what you can do about those.

If you do 1471 and there's a number left (which sometimes there is) you can phone Choose to Refuse (0800 800 150 open Mon-Sat 7.30am - 10pm & Sun 9am - 6pm). This service lets you block calls from a specific number.

(This is from the BT phone book & it does says other network users should phone their provider for their equivalent number.)

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    I have never heard of that Call Prevention Registry? I was told to go with the Telephone Preference Service (Tpsonline.org.uk) and only got one telemarketing call in the last 3 years (who incidentally hung up as soon as I mentioned I was on the TPS).

We do still get the odd call but as soon as we say we're on the TPS they apologise and go (the rude ones just hang up )

The TPS registry worked well at the beginning but after a few years the call level began to creep back up again. It's still nowhere near the volume it used to be, though, and the call ends immediately once the TPS is mentioned.

I have to be fairly determined, however, to get past their sales pitch training within the first 30 seconds. You know the patter- this will only take a minute of your time, we aren't trying to sell you anything, don't pause for breath in case the victim gets a word in edgeways.....grrr.

I had loads of problems with this too - particularly calls from overseas saying I'd won on the Canadian or Spanish lotteries

I had to take several steps to cut it down:

1. TPS
    2. Barring anonymous calling (which will also cut down on calls from companies in the UK, but you have to pay for it I think, on BT at least)
    3. Caller ID (you also have to pay for this I think)

We still get the odd call, but if it says "international" or "private" on the display, I just ignore it. We get 2-3 of these hang-up calls registered on the answering machine a week now, but they don't tend to leave a message. If there is a number coming up that's UK but I don't recognise it, I screen and answer if I want to speak to the person. I figure that if it's important, they'll leave a message.

And since I'm registered on all of these, should anyone get through to me and I don't want to speak to them, I'm afraid that I can get pretty rude these day, which usually ensures they don't call back in a hurry!

I'm with Virgin, and don't get nusience calls - except ironically from Virgin Sales Department.

I always say I'm busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

As soon as you realise it's a sales you don't want, tell them to F-off and hang up, they may not like it but it works

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    As soon as you realise it's a sales you don't want, tell them to F-off and hang up, they may not like it but it works
    now theres a plan

on the other hand a mate of mine pretends he is interested then says oh can you hang on i have someone at the door he then puts the phone to one side and waits about 30 mins before just cutting the line off

Blog Entries

I never answer my phone.

People only have my mobile number so i know if it rings, its going to be sales.

My phone goes off every night at some point. If im home which is rare, during the day, it goes off about 5 times.

If i did not have a mobile, i would get a brand new number and make it x directory, i think then, you are not bothered but be careful who you give it too because once you do give it out, its almost automatically sold to marketers whether we tick the box yes or not.

I registered on TPS a couple of years ago. We've had almost no cold calls since, and if you mention that you're registered with TPS even these go away as Frolicols has said.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    on the other hand a mate of mine pretends he is interested then says oh can you hang on i have someone at the door he then puts the phone to one side and waits about 30 mins before just cutting the line off
    Evil but a cracker and more fun than a simple F-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Evil but a cracker and more fun than a simple F-off.
    But his phone is tied up for 30 minutes.

Has anyone tried blowing a whistle down the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    But his phone is tied up for 30 minutes.
    Exactly - good for the rest of the population as it stops them annoying anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Has anyone tried blowing a whistle down the phone?
    Good way to burst someones eardrum and deafen them permanently. These people are annoying, but only trying to do their job - that would be a bit mean.

now theres a plan

Why not add the extra step of the Typhoo (was it?) advert..... When you happen to pass the phone point, pick it up, and say: "Please hold; your call is important to us....."
    I just think that is the ultimate revenge

Whitetiger

like others, I have found TPS and Mail PS excellent

I was told to go with the Telephone Preference Service
    Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I use the Telephone Preference Service, and that has worked pretty well for non-automated sales calls.

However, I find I now get something like 5 automated calls (where there's just a recording on the other end) per day. I'm not sure what you can do about those.
    Sorry It's actually the TPS I registered with! Doh! But it still ain't working for me.....

I've done this! It's hilarious! And every now and again I'll pick the receiver back up and hear them say 'Hello? Hello? Are you there, Miss Hollett (which isn't my name anyway!)? Hello???' Some of them are quite persistent, and will keep talking for ages even if I just put the receiver under a pillow and walk away!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    Personally, I just get really abusive or hang up on them – depending on which response I think will p1ss them off more. I have an irrational hatred of people who cold call me to try selling me things. If I really wanted what they were offering I’d be looking for it myself.

One of my collegues however, after getting many irritating sales calls at work because he inherited his phone from someone else had a much more inventive solution. He pretended to be a police inspector investigating a homicide and interviewed the poor telophonist for 20 minutes as to his relationship with victim. Eventually my collegue told him that may be called upon in future to provide a formal statement at a police station, and that he shouldn’t leave the country until he had the all-clear.

How he pulled it off without cracking up is a mystery to me, but it was very funny to watch!

when I had a landline - I had an answering machine and screened my calls - which did result in the occasional message from friends yelling at me to answer the phone - as they knew that I screened and wouldn't even bother going to the kitchen to hear if they were leaving a message if I was in another room - most of the time the ringer was turned down anyway

as to my mobile I only get semi cold calls - ie my bank rang me the other day with regards to one thing and once that was resolved want to sell me something - insurance I think - I said I'm not interested they then asked why for their records - my response - I have insurance and I have better things to do than talk to you.

Thread Information