Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Y.a.m.p.t

Re: Y.a.m.p.t

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Reflash your Nokia so it's not operator specific - it allows you to install the very latest firmware rather than waiting for the operator to allow you to install it (NB this can brick your phone, so be careful!)
    I did an IQ test at work yesterday and was feeling really pleased with the results until I read this now I feel thick and stupid – I don’t understand

Yes I have purchased an iPhone.. No more jokes from me about being a traitor to the cause

I have to say it's nice! I've never really been an "Apple Hater" more of a "Windows praiser" .. but my last Windows mobile device while it "worked" sometimes it wasn't as intuitive or as user friendly as I would have liked.

I wanted something that would just do what I asked. A button to check email.. a button to surf the web, a button to play music ,a button to watch videos and a button to make the molecules in women's undergarments leap simultaneously one foot to the left, in accordance to the theory of indeterminacy. Unfortunately that last button doesn't work as my Bambelweeny 57 Sub-Meson Brain isn't Apple compliant and my atomic vector plotter has run out of batteries.

However, finite improbability aside it does what I want it to.

I don't use my phone to take pictures.. I have a camera for that. at the most I use it as a visual note pad.. and for that se the iPhone camera is adequate! I don't send MMS. I have email.. why would I use MMS?

the cut and paste.. ok granted that's a pain but I can live with that.

and the set up.. egads!! have been used to just inserting my sim card to a freshly charged new phone and playing straight away. Nope.. I needed to plug my iPhone into the PC... and download iTunes.. and Register the phone THEN and only then could I play. But all that aside I'm impressed. It's a nice phone. Already downloaded a few apps. Namely facebook, skype, last Fm and shazam (which is really cool.. tested it on the end credits of "Judge dredd" last night.. and it correctly identified the song playing as "Dredd song" by the cure!!)

I'll not be rushing out to buy an Apple mac .. I'm still a Windows guy and a windows developer. But for the iPhone I'm sold !!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    There's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep trying until you run out of cake. - GLaDOS
    I've only just noticed your signature....

GLaDOS phone, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I did an IQ test at work yesterday and was feeling really pleased with the results until I read this now I feel thick and stupid – I don’t understand
    My fault for not explaining. Basically, there are firmware updates for most mobile phones, in this instance, the N95. With the series 60 phones, you update this firmware by using the Nokia software updater. However, your phone operator will have you locked into an operator specific code for your handset, which means it will only allow you to update to certain versions of the firmware - often this won't be the very latest firmware.

To access the latest firmware (check which version you are currently using by typing *#0000# into your handset) you need to debrand your phone. I am currently running V30.0.015 for the N95, for example.

Debranding your phone is quite easy - just follow the instructions here. Why debrand? The latest firmware versions usually have some the most annoying bugs ironed out of them, and its worth doing IMO. Also, I don't like Orange telling me what version of firmware I can or can't have on my phone!

Word of warning, if you reflash, you can't revert to an older version of your firmware, otherwise you'll brick your phone.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    ,,,and a button to make the molecules in women's undergarments leap simultaneously one foot to the left, in accordance to the theory of indeterminacy. ...
    An application to do that was in the App store for a while, but then Apple's censorship police got wise, and they removed it (it was using undocumented calls in the Quantum Physics & Sock Theory API, iirc) Very unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    GLaDOS phone, anyone?
    a good idea... right up to the point where it uses it's sat nav to navigate you into a burning fire pit !!

"Ok send text"
    "THANK you FOR TAKING PART IN AN APERture SCIENCE enrichMENT CENTRE COMmunicATIONS PROJECT. PLEASE NOTE THAT PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO THE APERTURE SCIENCE ENRICHMENT CENTRE communICATION DEVICE MAY CAUSE BLEEDING FROM THE GUMS, IRREVERSIBLE SERIALISATION AND PREMATURE COMBustion"
    "ah.. a windows device !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    My fault for not explaining. Basically, there are firmware updates for most mobile phones, in this instance, the N95. With the series 60 phones, you update this firmware by using the Nokia software updater. However, your phone operator will have you locked into an operator specific code for your handset, which means it will only allow you to update to certain versions of the firmware - often this won't be the very latest firmware.

Debranding your phone is quite easy - just follow the instructions here. Why debrand? The latest firmware versions usually have some the most annoying bugs ironed out of them, and its worth doing IMO. Also, I don't like Orange telling me what version of firmware I can or can't have on my phone!

Word of warning, if you reflash, you can't revert to an older version of your firmware, otherwise you'll brick your phone.
    Thanks and think I may just have a go at this (truth let me son have a go at this) and then I can hang on until the summer and see what the new IPhone has to offer and then make my mind up

I've been a fan of nokia for ages. When iPhone 3G came out I thought i'd make the switch (yes i did wait in line at stupid oclock for some reason).. Well it's one phone i won't be changing from for a long time. It's just such a great device. It does all the things I need and you get all the apps.

Now if only I could get my head round Objective C to develop apps on it.

Some of the issues rasied above are a bit annoying tho. I've made do with them. I miss delivery reports (altho this can be fixed by prefixing *0# infront of each message, still a bit annoying that it's not a default feature which could be turned on or off).

I think the abilty to configure the phone to some degree is lacking. Whilst it's nice to have a minimalistic and uncluttered interface it's a bit annoying that not all text messages have a timestamp on them. Also it would be nice if you could configure whether or not you wanted SMSs to pop up and remind you twice.

Other simple features are missing but they will be addressed in the coming update like forwarding text messages, sending contact details between phones (vCards).

Also if you intend on using this whilst driving as an iPod the controls can be a lil fiddley if you want to be able to navigate through songs.

Despite these minor set backs which are standard on most phones it just is an amazing peace of kit. You can have a good experience when browsing websites, altho not if it has a lot of flash content. Yes that does mean those new Ceroc sites that are springing up everywhere.. they really aren't iphone friendly! lol

Thread Information