Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Y.a.m.p.t

Y.a.m.p.t

(Yet Another Mobile Phone Thread)

ok.. it's upgrade time again. and (to quote Richard Burton as The Narrator in War of the Worlds) "An insane resolve possessed me"

I fancy an iPhone
    or do I? I also fancy one of the G1 Android Phones

One thing I DO NOT want is another flipping Windows Mobile phone

(Ok.. who's replaced Pete with a Pod person grown from an Apple(tm) seed?)

I know.. pigs are flying as I type. The earth has split asunder and the Lions and Lambs are lying down together and having a jolly good snooze (pedant mode.. the lions never lay down with the lambs.. from my god bothering days I remember it's "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb and the leopard shall lie down with the kid and the calf and the young lion and the yearling together" )

Anyway I digress.. As I'm playing devils advocate to myself here I need some advice. Which is WORSE the Android G1 or the Apple iPhone.

I don't want to hear fan boy comments from either side.. what is it about your chosen piece of Tech that .. although you love it dearly.. really grinds your almonds? I know what's good about either of them but I want to hear some users bad points.

I'm currently on O2 so the iPhone is "easier" as I can get it without changing anything too drastically. The G1 however would require a shift to T-Mobile.

I've played with the G1 and I like it but Battery life seems... Meh! however I hear the iPhone battery is doubleplus Meh! is this true? or Anti Apple doublespeak ?

Re: Y.a.m.p.t

I am also due for an upgrade and also fancied the Iphone, especially as my Ipod is on its last legs and the touch screen for texting as I do a lot of texting. What I don’t like is that you can’t forward messages. I’m on Vodafone so would also have to switch.

I love all the phones with lots of gadgets but basically all I do is text and sometimes phone.

I have had very mixed advice on it.

What to do????

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    What to do????
    Mobile Phones UK: Reviews & Best Buys

Am about to buy an iPhone because (a) my current phone is out of contract & pretty much ark technology (b) the iPhone syncs with Daylite, which runs my world and a built-in GPS system would be preferable to forever printing off Multimap directions & still getting lost (this way I would know when I'm walking away from my destination sooner). The only downside I know of (from a friend who has one) is that it took her quite a while to get accurate with typing on it - and that wouldn't be an issue with the G1, since it has a keyboard. If it wasn't for the Daylite syncing, if they cost the same, then I'd probably still get an iPhone because so many of my friends have them and can give me advice on how to get the best out of it (& which apps to get and not get).

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Thanks Miguel but now I’m paralysed by choice

Commercial Operator

OK. You know I'm a rabid iPhone fan, wouldn't give it up for the world, yada di yada di yada, goes without saying.

As requested, some downsides.

Battery. The battery life is fairly miserable. Whereas the my old Nokia that preceded the iPhone could last for a week sometimes on a single charge, my iPhone ... cannot. Although, to be fair, I use the iPhone constantly, whereas the Nokia was just used for texting and occasional phone calls. There are options if you need more battery life though - I have a USB connector cable at work, so I can charge it from my PC - and I have several 3rd party (ie cheap) chargers so I always have options when I travel. There are battery extending options like the Juice Pack, which can do a lot to help.

I can't give you any hard and fast figures, but here's some estimates:
    Only doing some texting and making a handful of phone calls: 2 days or so.
    Listening to music - doesn't seem to use much battery at all. I think they quote 12 hours for this, and I see nothing to dispute that estimate.
    Using it as a full-on remote control for iTunes on my Mac - 2-3 hours.
    Playing graphically intensive games - about two hours.
    Using Google Maps and GPS to track a journey - about an hour (I still use this facility, as it's incredibly useful, but in short bursts)

Mmm. What else. No copy/paste. Apple have no excuse at all for this one. It has been officially announced and demoed for the next major software update though (version 3.0), so it'll be here in the summer... at long last.

Text messaging. The texting app is wonderful, and uses an interface that's so beautiful and blindingly obvious, you wonder why nobody else thought of it. It has drawbacks though. No MMS being one, although this will also be addressed in version 3.0. Version 1 had no facility for sending a text to more than one person. This was addressed in version 2, but you still can't send texts to a predefined group - you have to select the names one at a time. I hope this gets addressed in 3.0.

3rd party applications don't have access to the whole API. In practical terms, this means, for example, that a 3rd party to-do list manager cannot display alerts and reminders unless you fire it up yourself. Which limits their usefulness in ways that the 3rd party developers cannot get around. I gather this will be addressed in 3.0 as well.

It still can't make a decent cup of coffee. I cannot describe how disappointed I remain at this one.

If you're seriously thinking about getting an iPhone, despite all the above, I would highly recommend it.

However, I'd suggest waiting. The first iPhone was available around end of June 2007, and the 3G was beginning of July 2008, iirc. All the signs are that there will be one or more new models within the next two months. While the older models will still get the 3.0 update, the new ones are likely to sport some serious improvements - for example, if the rumors are correct, it/they will include some pretty decent video facilities.

Plus, the Palm Pre should be out by then, and it's possible that Palm will steal a march on Apple and come out with something very special... (Probably not, but you never know. It could happen)

I've got an iPhone and love it to bits, but I rarely use it as a phone. I keep it for music, video and browsing, with occassional GPS thrown. I think I'd get annoyed with it pretty quickly as a phone, as it lacks certain features, but as devices go, it is the most user friendly piece of kit ever!!

I picked up one of the new HTC Magic phones, with the Android G operating system. So far I like it, but I've only had it for 17hrs and slept for 6 of them, so I'm sure it will start to annoy me fairly soon. I'll let you know what I think of it once I've had a proper chance to play with it

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Im not the biggest fan of Apple and personally wouldn't touch an Iphone. I have a few friends that have had them and they have either sold them within a few months or they are constantly sending them back.

Also the battery can not be replaced once it has stopped holding charge !!!!!!

On the plus side for the iPhone it does seem well supported with 3rd party gizmos and im told your only cool if you have an Iphone.

I havn't tried a G1 yet. Will have a look next time im down town.

Have you tried an Omnia? I know you said you didn't want another windows OS phone but they are seriously worth a look.

Another phone that might be worth a look is the Blackberry Storm

I suppose at the end of the day it's all down to what you want to do with it. Any phone nowdays will play MP3's, give you sat nav, web access and the like.

I'm a fan of the Nokia Series 60 phones. I have an n95 and its been really good so far, will probably get an N96. The major selling point for me was the built-in satnav. You can also run TomTom off it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    I'm a fan of the Nokia Series 60 phones. I have an n95 and its been really good so far, will probably get an N96. The major selling point for me was the built-in satnav. You can also run TomTom off it.

I have an N95, and a Nokia 8500 (for when I want to be "trendy"). I'll upgrade to N97 when it's released in June/July.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    I've got an iPhone and love it to bits, but I rarely use it as a phone.

I
    I do need it as a phone

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Im not the biggest fan of Apple and personally wouldn't touch an Iphone. I have a few friends that have had them and they have either sold them within a few months or they are constantly sending them back.
    charge !!!!!!

Another phone that might be worth a look is the Blackberry Storm
    I quite fancied this but have read bad reports on this

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I have an N95, and a Nokia 8500 (for when I want to be "trendy"). I'll upgrade to N97 when it's released in June/July.
    Think I'll have to look into this but I'm p'd off with my Nokia that shows I have signal but sometimes have to turn the phone off and then pick up texts from 2 days ago

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I do need it as a phone
    I've got an iPhone and (apart from all of the other things it does) I use it, oh yes, as a phone
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    I've got an iPhone and love it to bits, but I rarely use it as a phone.
    I have to say I'm curious - why not? As a pure phone, I love it.

erm...

(I'm a proud owner of a new 16gb iPhone)
    I feel like such a traitor to the cause

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

You got an iphone then?

I've currently got an N95, and I still maintain it's the best non-iphone alternative. It can do everything the iphone can do, and has freeware you can get for it instead of buying stuff from an app store.

That said, I'm still leaning towards getting an iphone on my next upgrade. Word on the street is there WILL be a new iphone coming out this Summer.

If it has a 5mp camera and some decent video I'll leave Vodafone (after being with them for 14 years) and go over to O2.

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    I've currently got an N95, and I still maintain it's the best non-iphone alternative. It can do everything the iphone can do, and has freeware you can get for it instead of buying stuff from an app store.
    The Apple app store is just like symbian apps, some are free and others you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    That said, I'm still leaning towards getting an iphone on my next upgrade. Word on the street is there WILL be a new iphone coming out this Summer.

If it has a 5mp camera and some decent video I'll leave Vodafone (after being with them for 14 years) and go over to O2.
    Current rumours put it at getting at least a 3.2mp camera with autofocus. Be wary of getting caught up in the pixel wars, just cause it has more mps doesn't make it a better camera, it's more to do with the quality of the lens. Video capabilities seem to be present in the current beta versions of the iphone's next OS, version 3.

I was thinking of getting an iphone but it still lacks a few things, so I was going to wait until the next version to see if it's improved enough for me.

I do need it as a phone

I quite fancied this but have read bad reports on this

Think I'll have to look into this but I'm p'd off with my Nokia that shows I have signal but sometimes have to turn the phone off and then pick up texts from 2 days ago
    Reflash your Nokia so it's not operator specific - it allows you to install the very latest firmware rather than waiting for the operator to allow you to install it (NB this can brick your phone, so be careful!)

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Reflash your Nokia so it's not operator specific - it allows you to install the very latest firmware rather than waiting for the operator to allow you to install it (NB this can brick your phone, so be careful!)
    This simple website will tell you how to find out what firmware version you have on your Nokia and what the latest firmware released for your phone is.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I have to say I'm curious - why not? As a pure phone, I love it.

Well, one reason is that it's on O2, and I have a load of accounts with Vodafone, so wanted to keep my main number with them. I bought the iPhone on PAYT, as I didn't want a contract with O2 and occassionaly use it for calls, but not very often. The things that bother me the most about it are the lack of MMS, not having a video camera and the inability to select multiple items in text / email lists. It's really the first two that stop me using it as an everyday phone, although the fact that it is not on Vodafone is a biggie.

If I'm honest, I bought it just because I didn't have one, but as a multi-functional device, it is brilliant. It's not a perfect phone, but it does everything else so well that as an all round gadget it is pretty much unbeatable. I wanted all of the functionality of the iTouch, but also wanted access to GPS maps, as well as the ability to go online without WiFi. It's nice being able to download from iTunes wherever I am. The PAYT version came with 1 year of unlimited online access, so it made sense to me. I use it primarily as an iPod and video player and can go online whenever I want. It's great to be able to download dance videos from You Tube and then pinch moves to use as part of a routine...

Thread Information