View Poll Results: Who's going to the UK Open Jive comp?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I am spectating, supporting friends

7 22.58%
  • YES - I am competing! Wish me luck!

12 38.71%
  • NO - Sorry, can't make it

10 32.26%
  • Maybe - Not sure, still thinking about it

0 0%
  • I WANT to go - but I need to figure out HOW!

2 6.45%
  • I WAS going - but can't do so now due to date change

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Open Jive Competition @ Blackpool - 5th/6th/7th June 2009

UK Open Jive Competition @ Blackpool - 5th/6th/7th June 2009

Is anyone going to this weekend event?

I'm curious to know who'll be attending this comp, who'll compete in it, and so on.

I'm wanting to go - but I would like to hear from any forumite who're planning to drive to Blackpool. I expect I'll be in Glasgow at that time, so if any forumites are driving past Glasgow on the way to Blackpool, please let me know!

Otherwise, I'll have to find some kind of stagecoach or train or plane to get me to Blackpool

Regarding accommodation :- are there any particularly good B&Bs, hostels that forumites can recommend to stay over that weekend - proximity to the Tower Ballroom venue, and other Blackpool attractions to see for a tourist like me?

Thanks in advance,

AussieJ

Re: UK Open Jive Competition @ Blackpool - 5th/6th/7th June 2009

I'll be going! Not yet sure if I'll be going from Glasgow or London, but I suspect it will most likely be London, so that I can get in some last minute practice with HappyB before we compete. We'll be doing their Spotlight and Advanced categories and probably the lucky dip. I've never been, but I've heard it's s good competition.

There is a hotel and ticket package you can buy for about £160. That covers the Friday freestyle, bed and breakfast in a local 4* hotel and entrance to the competition on Saturday and tea dance on Sunday. Sounds pretty resonable to me. I think there is a single supplement of about £40.

Check out the website for more info.

Hope that helps...

Just figured out how to add a poll - its up!

Filthy Monkey, thanks for the info, yeah there's a chance that I may have relocated to London come June

But anyhow, yeah I'm trying to weigh up whether that weekend package (160 quid) is reasonable compared to say trying to book myself into one of the B&B or hostels nearby and such. Need to get away from work and sit down do some numbers...

Single supplement? so that's on top of the 160 quid?

btw, I saw you and HappyB at the Ceroc Champs, I found it awesome to watch you both do your routines

I will be there this year and entering the Seniors I am trying to get into some dancing shape again after a long while of not dancing on a regular basis and it shows believe me, my competition dress seems to have got a bit small for me so have to sort out that problem as well as get practising.
    As for accommodation there are absolutely hundreds of B&Bs but sorry can't recommend any as my experience of Blackpool accommodation has not been the best. I am lucky enough to live about 50 mins away so will be travelling from home.

The competitions are taking place in the Tower Ballroom which has a fantastic atmosphere for dancing, after all it is the home of dancing. Plus you have the rest of the Tower to explore which includes dancing / or skipping over on the small bit of glass floor at the top of the Tower. Not as scary as the CN Tower in Toronto ...honest!!

Please say hello, I think it will be a great day.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by AussieJ View Post
    Don't forget, though, the £160 includes entry over the three days, your hotel room and breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. I have to be honest, I think it's a pretty good deal...

btw, I saw you and HappyB at the Ceroc Champs, I found it awesome to watch you both do your routines
    Thanks you very much. That's really kind of you to say so

There are loads of B&Bs a short walk from the Tower (and shops, restaurants, pier etc). We booked into one at very short notice when we did a weekender in Blackpool about 1 1/2 years ago - it was basic - but I think it was only about £17 pp per night.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

In the past, I've stayed here and would definitely recommend it. Having said that, people who stay there usually book for the following year, so not sure if they'll have any places left.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

... Single supplement? so that's on top of the 160 quid?
    I don't want to share a room with someone I do not know, and I am sure that many others feel the same. The 40 quid extra for a room on my own make the difference between me going and not.

In case the organisers are reading my particular preference would be Fri, Sat, Sun night accommodation, travelling back Monday, and having the Friday night event as just a dance. I go to a dance to dance, and like my own choice of meal when I am eating. The package on offer means I am paying for a meal I am not going to eat and a bed I am not going to use.

Sad, because I have always wanted to go.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The web site says "As with all Hotels there is always a single person suppliment (sic)"

Not all hotels have this weird concept, whats wrong with paying by the room ?

Well, with a single supplement you are paying by the room. With two people in the room, you're simply sharing the cost between both of them. That's why it's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    Well, with a single supplement you are paying by the room. With two people in the room, you're simply sharing the cost between both of them. That's why it's cheaper.
    Usually you find yourself in a double room with a bed and space that you do not need, but which you are paying for. In places that have single rooms and no on-suite the difference is usually smaller.

If the organisers can fill the venue whatever there is no need for them to consider a wider and poorer customer base.

If there is empty space in the venues it could have been filled with customers that probably would have come back, and every empty space filled would have been almost all profit. Linking customers and cheaper lodging houses is not an expensive process, and there are probably agencies who would do it cost free to them.

Commercial Operator

On the subjectis there anyone wanting to do aerials and hasn't expressed an interest??

Am looking forward to the Mariachi set on the Fri night, too... Shall try to avoid "Battle of the Sexes" this year, tho...

I'll do it with you, CJ, if you think you can lift me

Herbie definitely wants to do it. I need to get in touch with Matt and Kym to see if they are interested. Does anybody have their contact details? If enough people are up for it, the organisers are happy to put it in...

Herbie definitely wants to do it. I need to get in touch with Matt and Kym to see if they are interested. Does anybody have their contact details? If enough people are up for it, the organisers are happy to put it in...
    Herbie has thrown his had into the ring! - have been in contact with Matt & Kym just waiting to hear back

Commercial Operator

I'm sure I could get U up, easily enough...

Only if you promise to wear the skirt and put your hair in bunches...

Anyone received their tickets yet?

Commercial Operator

Only if you promise to wear the skirt and put your hair in bunches...
    Now I know why U dance so close to me in open... so, U really do dance better with a hard on?? Dammit, I thought it was a myth...

I would say that was below the belt, but I think that's obvious!

I was chatting to Herbie yesterday and he mentioned that they've resurrected the aerials comp. for you guys. Thats' great news

I am planning to attend the Friday evening and Saturday all-day/all-night events - being the big competition day after all!

About the Sunday though, I was told by one of the organisers that the Sunday Tea Dance event is open to public, with £12 ticket price.

Can anyone comment on their previous experiences of the Sunday Tea Dance? In the past, has everyone attended the Sunday Tea Dance??

(It would help me decide whether to skip the Tea Dance and get myself back to Glasgow on Sun morning/midday - or stick around for the Tea Dance...)

Thanks in advance!

Thread Information