Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Credibilty of Judges at MJ events.

Re: Credibilty of Judges at MJ events.

Every once in a while I wake up in the morning and see things differently. With mu contributions to the set theory debate and on judging and on what Modern Jive actually is I now realise I have been concentrating to much on rules and on the meaning of 'jive'. I have underestimated "modern".

"Modern" is derived from the French "Ã* la mode", "of the fashion". Once I started to use that meaning it becomes clear that the dance is about fashion, passion and personality. The judges are not as in court, there to enforce and interpret laws and regulations, those do not exist in any strong form. They are there to represent their views as currently held. They serve as leaders of fashion.

Looked at that way there can be no complaint against the judges. They are there to be themselves. There can, of course, be vigorous debate about who they are and how they are selected.

Unsurprisingly in the Ceroc champs we might expect them to be selected to serve the best interests of Ceroc. I believe that many of the judges came from outside Ceroc, which is a good indication that Ceroc have an intelligent view of their best interests, are not on the road to frozen isolation.

Being just a simple chap I use the simple criteria that I would expect to be judged in a competition, ANY competition, by someone who knows enough to be able to judge in a consistent and informed way the presentation made to them .... and probably be more 'experienced' than those they are sitting in judgement of.

When you have a situation where judges have way less dance/competition experience than those competing ... how can the competitors have any faith in the judges?

PS .. not saying that this is the case with Ceroc Champs, though it would be nice to see the 'Judges' page on the Ceroc Champs wensite to be populated for once ....

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    ... When you have a situation where judges have way less dance/competition experience than those competing ... how can the competitors have any faith in the judges?...
    Perhaps not the best comparison, but few soccer referees ohave played at the level they referee at. Probably the same in other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Perhaps not the best comparison, but few soccer referees ohave played at the level they referee at. Probably the same in other sports.
    Would it be fair to say that football referees only have a say in the interpretation of the rules, not the quality of the football nor the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Would it be fair to say that football referees only have a say in the interpretation of the rules, not the quality of the football nor the outcome?
    Yup My fingers won't stop working though my brain is elsewhere.

Nevertheless they make judgements the way they see them, which, alas, is not always right.

Thread Information