Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ceroc Champs 2009 - Results and Aftermath

Re: Ceroc Champs 2009 - Results and Aftermath

team cabaret winners

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    I`ve filled in the missing blanks....,Overall probably the least controversial Ceroc champs in terms of results......I know Tom and Vicky winning wasn`t recieved too well but having watched the open final i really couldn`t split 5 from 6 couples imho so the judges had a real difficult task....
    It was a great day and fantastic to see such energy and effort from all competitors. The standard was great, and continues to improve every year.

As a judge (open and TopCat), I have to agree with FoxyFunkster that it was very difficult to split the top entrants in my categories, certainly harder than in previous year's I have judged, which shows the true quality of the entrants. However, we are judging what we see on the day and how the entrants deal with whatever music Erick is throwing at them. Some do slightly better than others and naturally judges have different opinions - which is why there are 5 of us scoring!

I know from experience the emotions of 'winning' and 'losing', especially after all the hard work that goes into this. So, a big congratulations to all the winners and an equally big congratulations and well done to all those who didn't place, but provided such entertainment and excitement for everyone.

Here's to next year!

Rob

I too, thoroughly enjoyed the Champs this year. Great atmosphere, great dancers, great outfits and more bling than you could shake a stick at!!

Firstly, huge respect goes to all the behind the scene people who put in untold hours to provide such a great event I hope they managed to enjoy the day as much as the rest of us.

I'm certainly glad I wasn't judging the Open! As a few people have mentioned it was very difficult to split the top 6, however IMO Tom & Vicky nailed that last track and it could have been anyone's up until that point. For me, what sets apart the Open from the other categories is that you should expect to see real musical interpretation at that level - for example if you videoed that heat, played it back but turned the volume down, you should be able to work out what genre of music was being played by the style in which the couple were dancing, and you could with Tom & Vicky especially

Highlights of the day for me were:-

- Ceroc Nights, Team Cabaret
    - Tim & Jade's, Showcase
    - A dance with Jason Colacino (a highlight for me, a lowlight for him I'm sure )
    - Seeing Janine Tubbs and her gorgeous daughter
    - Finally, witnessing Groovy Dancer throw his sweaty towel (by accident) right in the face of some poor girl sitting next to me - still can't stop giggling, luckily she found it funny too

Anyway, roll on next year - and well done to everyone that took part and competed You made the day for me.

Bex

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Anyway, roll on next year
    Forget next year! Roll on September, when you can come to the Ceroc Scotland Charity Champs, and do it all again
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I'll second that! Can't wait for the Scottish champs! After a bit of a mishap at the end of our showcase, I need to perform it again, hopefully this time without Becki ending up on the floor on the last beat of the song... Still, that's what we get for going for a big finish! We finished the choreogrpahy 7 days before the competition and had four practice sessions to get it right, so I'm pleased with how it went up to that point

On the bright side, it was great to win the team section again this year, although I was VERY disappointed at the lack of entries. Let's hope more people give it a go next year. Come on, Franchisees! Start planning now, get a team in and show what your pupils can do!

All in all, it was a great, but exhausting, day. I have to admit, though, I found some of the judging to be, at best, dubious in certain categories. In some areas, such as Showcase, Team Cabaret (I know, I'm biased on this one ) and Double Trouble, they were spot on. Tim's showcase was awesome and the beautiful Kathleen and Caryn, led by the not so beautiful Spikey Steve, were the best by miles. However, in some of the the more subjective categories, I really wonder what the judges were scoring on! Ah well, I suppose that's the joy of competing...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Forget next year! Roll on September, when you can come to the Ceroc Scotland Charity Champs, and do it all again
    Of course, how could I forget I blame lack of sleep

Having just watched the team winners on Youtube,can anybody tell me the name of the track at the beginning.I am assuming that it was a mix of two tracks as the last part was Safri Duo.
    Also,what was the track that Danni and Josh danced to.
    Judging by the sound of the tracks on Youtube,it must have sounded great at the venue.

I had a fantastic day along with everyone else above just spectating but I just wanted to add big thanks also to Rachel and Marc who played a brilliant set all day in the marble / blues room. I had some great dances in there, wonderful atmosphere and great to both of them for their choice of music and keeping it all going for what was a really marathon gig!

Well I really enjoyed the day! Was a fab atmosphere!!!
    Although, the most unsuccessful for me dancing wise. My partners were all great and I enjoyed dancing with all of them. (Lucky Dip, Top Cat, Intermediates and Ceroc X)
    Shame to get nowhere again, especially as it gets so expensive. But despite the dissapointment I find it really enjoyable.
    My new hubby has only had 4 lessons and he did great in the intermediates and now knows what he needs to bring to the next comp (more moves really).

I hope to get some advise on what judges actually look for as I'm sure some people got knocked out in the first heats who didn't deserve to, while others go through. I'd rather them than me....how on earth can you possible see everyone and judge!

Glad I get the chance to dance and enjoy the music. And big thanks to Josh for standing in at the last minute when my ceroc x partner couldn't make it (we'd never met before and had no idea about dancing together, thank fully he was amazing!)

Nice to see you all again.........Bubs x

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalou View Post
    I hope to get some advise on what judges actually look for as I'm sure some people got knocked out in the first heats who didn't deserve to, while others go through. I'd rather them than me....how on earth can you possible see everyone and judge!
    Hi Bubbalou,

I was head judge for Ceroc X and have to admit it was one of the hardest categories I've ever had to judge. Not only do you have to make sure you look at every couple, you have to make sure they are only dancing Beginners Moves, that you see no more than 2 spins, if they break or hesitate they still keep the format of the move they started, etc etc (I'm sure you read the rules before entering). Whilst looking for all those things, you are also judging how the couple dance and connect with each other, how much fun is being conveyed, how they are using the music they are dancing to and how they look.

Now, saying all that, my opinion could be totally different to the other 4 judges, judging the same category - one of the judges may also have seen one of the couples performing an illegal move or multiple spins, so that couple would be disqualified, harsh I know, but rules are rules.

We're never going to be able to please everyone unfortunately and hopefully it hasn't put you off entering again.

Thanks,
    Bex

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Aerials
    David and ? (I presume Anita? Neither of these are correct
    Matt Hudson and Kim Nguyen won with Herbie Bastien and Angelique Neave
    Having watched the aerials category with interest, I think this category would be far more interesting from a dance perspective if the music was announced in advance.

Currently, no-one is really able to fit their moves to a piece of freestyle music. Which is not a slur on them - in my experience it is incredibly difficult to do.

[There's a lot less flexibility than with normal freestyle - you will probably have a couple of 'super hard' moves that you can only do when fresh near the start of the routine. If you have a move that has to go at the end (e.g. doughnut), then you have to judge when the end is going to be, and hope the DJ doesn't fade it out!]

I don't suppose it will ever happen, because it would require a fair bit of advance preparation. But it would be very interesting to see someone try it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Having watched the aerials category with interest, I think this category would be far more interesting from a dance perspective if the music was announced in advance...
    I suspect that the tempo would also have a considerable effect on what works too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I suspect that the tempo would also have a considerable effect on what works too.
    Yes; there's been a shift to adagio style lifts, and I think most competitors now prepare on the assumption that the music will be suitable for that. But it would be nice to know in advance; again, I don't think any current competitor really has the facility to prepare for both (possibly exception of Andy and Kim, should they come out of retirement).

I've done adagio style lifts to a very fast (160+bpm) track in a comp, and it was not much fun. But worst was the fact that the track was only about half as long as expected, which left me rushing to try to fit things in. (Stupid, stupid mistake in hindsight).

Hi Bubbalou,

I was head judge for Ceroc X and have to admit it was one of the hardest categories I've ever had to judge. Not only do you have to make sure you look at every couple, you have to make sure they are only dancing Beginners Moves, that you see no more than 2 spins, if they break or hesitate they still keep the format of the move they started, etc etc (I'm sure you read the rules before entering). Whilst looking for all those things, you are also judging how the couple dance and connect with each other, how much fun is being conveyed, how they are using the music they are dancing to and how they look.

Now, saying all that, my opinion could be totally different to the other 4 judges, judging the same category - one of the judges may also have seen one of the couples performing an illegal move or multiple spins, so that couple would be disqualified, harsh I know, but rules are rules.

We're never going to be able to please everyone unfortunately and hopefully it hasn't put you off entering again.

Thanks,
    Bex
    Thanks for that, yes it was helpful. Although to be honest I was not expecting to get far in Ceroc x as the competition is too tough! Got to the finals the first year (before everybody knew what the category was really about!) and have entered twice since with great partners.
    This was my 6th Champs. Its the intermediate category that baffles me....
    At the time, I did think its an expensive way to get a bit of dance floor for 3 mins but since then my partner (new partner) has got the bug and wants to work harder.
    While the life experience is the most important thing for me, I don't think we would enter if we knew we were going to get knocked out of the first round!

Bubs xx
    ps....Un-lucky dip, whats that all about, my partners have been really nice and ok dancers but out every time, maybe I should be throwing the towel in lol lol

Finally, witnessing Groovy Dancer throw his sweaty towel (by accident) right in the face of some poor girl sitting next to me - still can't stop giggling, luckily she found it funny too
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalou View Post
    ps....Un-lucky dip, whats that all about, my partners have been really nice and ok dancers but out every time, maybe I should be throwing the towel in lol lol
    I didn't think Groovy dancer is the sort to throw in the towel.

Just out of curiosity ... where have Ceroc(tm) HQ posted the full, official results? Just got back from Malta and can't find them.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Just out of curiosity ... where have Ceroc(tm) HQ posted the full, official results? Just got back from Malta and can't find them.
    They weren't there yesterday but they are now...
    http://www.cerocchamps.com/results2009.htm
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    They weren't there yesterday but they are now...
    http://www.cerocchamps.com/results2009.htm
    There are quite a few mistakes though.

Wrong names next to right photos or right names next to wrong photo?

It's been fixed now. there was no mention of Josh & Danni at all, but there is now.

www.CerocPix.com are up.

Thread Information