Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Bands

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Being constructive for a moment. I think we would be more likely to go to a night with bands if we knew we were going to hear danceable music played. .....Maybe some of their music could be put on a website or a few tracks by them could be played at the promoters classes. This would help us make up our minds.
    Nice idea andy but cant always rely on the band/artist. For example Richie Milton will play for the dancers, Dana Gillespie it seems will decide what she will sing and the tempo irresective of the dancers.
    This is a common problem some bands do there own thing - at boogaloo event in October some of the bands were so fast the rock & Rollers sat out, let alone the MJ's. One 'Big Name' headline band played a really fast set = Empty floor,
    slowed it down for one track = full dance floor then said "ok this is for the dancers " 200bpm+ track, empty dance floor again.
    It took 2 hours to find 5 suitable tracks to dance with 5 ladies. Other bands over the weekend sussed it and slowed the music as their set progressed

But as we only see live bands occasionally is the lack of 100% MJ dancing offset by live entertainment - I know you want 100% dancing Andy, but is there not a certain pleasure in listning to a good live act? or is dance the be all and end all of our entertainment.
    I am not supporting fast music my views are........
    Last edited by Lounge Lizard; 28th-November-2003 at 10:53 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    But as we only see live bands occasionally is the lack of 100% MJ dancing offset by live entertainment - I know you want 100% dancing Andy, but is there not a certain pleasure in listning to a good live act? or is dance the be all and end all of our entertainment.
    I am not supporting fast music my views are........
    My answer is that it's about expectation. If something is advertised as a dance I expect to be able to do just that, dance. If it's advertised as a Modern Jive Night I expect to be able to Modern Jive to all of the music. To do otherwise would be to break a promise made in the promotion.

On the other hand, if it's a concert I expect to listen to the band and enjoy the music.

There IS a difference and it's all, as I said above, to do with expectation

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    My answer is that it's about expectation. If something is advertised as a dance I expect to be able to do just that, dance. If it's advertised as a Modern Jive Night I expect to be able to Modern Jive to all of the music. To do otherwise would be to break a promise made in the promotion.

On the other hand, if it's a concert I expect to listen to the band and enjoy the music.

There IS a difference and it's all, as I said above, to do with expectation
    Oh sh*t we agree

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Oh sh*t we agree
    Sorry

Realy good bands are a pleasure and add to the evening but they are expensive and add a lot to the ticket price. A good band will play to the crowd and change the set list while they are on yo suit the dancers. Lesser mortals will lack the confidence to play to the crowd and just play the set as rehearsed.

Some poor bands do poor 6 minute covers of tunes so famous we all know and prefer the original 3 minute track.

Thread Information