Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Bands

Live Bands

Do you like to dance live music?
    I like live bands but they are often to fast for MJ, but is a good live band better than a good DJ
    Is it ok for a change
    Would you avoid a venue with live band nightd
    Are you prepared to pay more if there is a live band.
    and any other points on dancing to live music

I am DJ'ing at Dorking till Xmas on a Tuesday.
    On the 9th December there is IMHO the best MJ/Ceroc live band playing - Richie Milton - would you miss Hipsters for one night to see a good live band?
    I realise Hipsters is about venue, dancers, music, teaching, atmosphere etc. so dont expect anyone to not go there on the 9th - but would be interested in opinions.

How many venues-dancers-organisers support live bands

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    I really enjoy dancing to live music but then I also really enjoy watching and listening to live music as well. I always find that the way things are done slightly differently when live makes things a lot more interesting and on occassions you get bands which interact with the dancers or those watching which can be great fun.

I would generally be happy to stump up a few extra quid if I knew a band were going to be playing. I really enjoyed the Jive Aces at the weekend and the only other dancey band I've seen this year was Big Bad Voddoo Daddy who were ace.

That said though a good DJ can also lift a night and I thought the balance was just about right at the weekend at the BB where we had both a band and a DJ and with the band playing 2 sets of approx 40 mins meant we had the best of both worlds

The Oracle
    At a normal freestyle night, you get typically 3 hours of dancing. To have a band playing one type of music for something between 1/3 and 1/2 of the time is too much. It is OK if the audience is more focussed in what it wants (eg a Swing band at a Lindy night), but Modern Jive dancers seem to want a wider variety. I find I sit down far more often when a band is playing compared to the DJ. The idea of paying more money for less dancing doesn't appeal to me, especially on a regular basis.

Nights like Aberdeen work because there was over 5 hours of dancing, and an excellent band who played for about 25% of the night.

David

Live bands are fantastic and should be encouraged far more-but obviously the quality and style of the band should be appropriate for Ceroc, or whatever the dance before anyone says anything (I can hear all the moaners getting ready on their keyboards......)

Anyone seen Jools Holland live? Bloody excellent, but I imagine a tad expensive.......

Funky Si

www.kordmusic.com

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Saw them 2 years ago in Aberdeen but unfortunately they were playing in a theatre which was packed out with seats so had to make do with dancing in the aisle. Was still a great night though

Re:Live Bands

Interesting views expressed i thought DavidB (No wonde Franck christened him the oracle) made sense when he said nights like Aberdeen work because there was over 5 hours of dancing, and an excellent band who played for about 25% of the night.

Also lets not forget that it also worked because Franck asked the Jive Aces to play SLOWER TRACKS. I seen them the previous week and i might not have went to Aberdeen if i had not already booked as it was far too fast. Franck made the effort to go along and see them too, so he realised this and acted appropriately to ensure we all had a great night.

Ok how much more would we cerocers be prepared to pay for a well liked live band suitable for our dancing. I mean if you can pack a large hall paying £25-£30 per ticket without dancing what would you be prepared to pay to have them at a dance. Please be realistic i mean a few quid more........ is ok for something average but...........

I hate that live music has become so separated from dance. I rip into "Doctor, Doctor" at Ceroc, and then travel on to a late night jam session to an empty dance floor to the same track. I have tried ...

There are at least two local groups that I would like to dance to, one does Latin Jazz, and did my favourite ever version of "Moondance", the other plays Elvis numbers and others, such as "I like to boogie". I have heard line dance groups that I would love to jive to as well. There must be hundreds up and down the country, not forgetting the big band enthusiasts. We had a couple of local ones who rehearsed in obscure back-rooms, and play two or three concerts a year. I have lost track of them.

I get enough nearly enough dance locally now, but I used to enjoy my trips up to the Rivoli ballroom. I live in hope.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by bigdjiver
    I used to enjoy my trips up to the Rivoli ballroom. I live in hope.
    Jive Party (at the Rivoli and previously Leicester Sq) have been running monthly dances successfully with live bands for 10 years now. It's far too long since I've been, and I've always enjoyed them, (the dances go on till 1 am giving a decent amount of time for the DJ too). In my experience the "no band" nights are the busier ones, and are a bit cheaper.

I feel I should support live band events when they happen, as it was one live band in particular, that got me into dancing, but I'm with Davidb in as much as I sit out more. Though only if a live band is pushing the tempo up around 200bpm.

Greg

On this subject, I believe that there is going to be a live band at the Christmas Hammersmith bash on 13th December.

Good question.

I went to a night on Saturday that had a live band.

Previously i had danced at the Goodnight Sweetheart event in Hertfordshire to a live band and didnt like it. It WAS a swing event so i guess they must have tailored the music to them but it was either too fast or too slow for MJ (unless u like blues of course )

Last Saturday was, well....if i had to choose a niggle i would have to pick two things but these weren't really THAT bad
    It was no better or worse than a regular freestyle night. If I had to comment either good or bad I would have to say bad. This is because (only small quarms)
    1. the band were on the dancefloor itself so took up a hell of a lot of room in a busy venue instead of on the stage and
    2. They did play a lot of songs that i dont know.

Im not adverse to dancing to unknown songs but the songs they played were not particularly brilliant songs. I still enjoyed the night though, not going to let a few songs worry me
    I think a good DJ has far more scope for energising the dancefloor as he can call upon a much wider variety of songs/styles.

As for the question of would i pay more. No. Not when i can have an equally good night for less money without a band.

....... maybe im turning into one of these people who like their music predictable ie. breaks , finishes etc

B.T.C.
    I do enjoy some live bands and sorry I missed the Jive Aces but it does depend - as has been said - on how good the band is and how fast the music is.

Like David I spend more time watching to live bands ( on the whole) but it's different going to see someone like Jools Holland where you might not expect to dance all the time and a jive night which books a band.

It can also be more difficult to dance to live bands as they often alter the tempo of a song or go into long riffs so it's more difficult to gauge the breaks.

It's fun when the balance is right but it's much easier to have a decent night with an average DJ than with an average band.

I have seen some good live bands, but also I have seen some one who didn't work at all.

I agree with a 1/2 1/2 scenario, usually a band will do two sets

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

Re: Live Bands

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Do you like to dance live music?
    I like live bands but they are often to fast for MJ, but is a good live band better than a good DJ
    Is it ok for a change
    Would you avoid a venue with live band nightd
    Are you prepared to pay more if there is a live band.
    and any other points on dancing to live music

I am DJ'ing at Dorking till Xmas on a Tuesday.
    On the 9th December there is IMHO the best MJ/Ceroc live band playing - Richie Milton - would you miss Hipsters for one night to see a good live band?
    I realise Hipsters is about venue, dancers, music, teaching, atmosphere etc. so dont expect anyone to not go there on the 9th - but would be interested in opinions.

How many venues-dancers-organisers support live bands
    Hi I dont mind live bands but both the times I have been to a dance event where there was a live band the music was either too fast or too slow, not quite right. For example at Hammersmith Christmas ball last year they had a DJ and then a live band for 1hour then back to the DJ again, While the Live band was on the floor emptied and the bar got VERY popular.

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Live Bands

Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
    Hi I dont mind live bands but both the times I have been to a dance event where there was a live band the music was either too fast or too slow, not quite right. For example at Hammersmith Christmas ball last year they had a DJ and then a live band for 1hour then back to the DJ again, While the Live band was on the floor emptied and the bar got VERY popular.
    I agree with the devil (have yet to sell my soul though). This is pretty much my experience with live bands. I've been to a couple of events where the band was brilliant and the night had a real buzz as a consequence. At one the band was Jazz/Funk and the other was a brilliant 70s covers band. At every other event with a band that I've been to I've seen the band starting up as a signal to take a break. They're usually much too fast or just not quite right. Recently I went to a 60s night at my daughters public school. They had a Beatles cover band, they played two sets, early Beatles then later stuff. The first set was brilliant to MJ to the 2nd set was just about impossible - so why bother?

And, as others have said, the other thing about bands is they cost more. Why pay more for a night which isn't usually quite as good?

Having said all of that, the two nights where the band was great were two if the best and most memorable dance nights I've ever had. But the bad band nights were also memorable, but for the opposite reason

Commercial Operator
    I used to run a night in Edinburghwith Lindsay (Boogienights) called "Jump Start"..which was a mixture of live music and DJd music. We tended to find that blues bands went down particularly well. The main problem we had was covering the cost of having a live band, and paying for the venue rental. There are a lot of people who really enjoy dancing to live music, but you have to be careful to have a band that play music of the right tempo.
    I have also danced to some good bands at the party weekenders in wales. A few that spring to mind are...Snakehip Jake...the Earl Jackson band, The Big Heat, and the absolutely fantastic Maria Vincent & the Millionaires

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Dance Demon
    I have also danced to some good bands at the party weekenders in wales. A few that spring to mind are...Snakehip Jake...the Earl Jackson band, The Big Heat, and the absolutely fantastic Maria Vincent & the Millionaires
    I've been to the Party Weekenders in Wales and Weymouth. There are some great bands for MJ there and I've had some fantastic nights. There have also been one or two bands that would have been better suited to a R&R crowd. They were good bands, just played fast music. And I still danced to them, I wasn't going to waste my time sitting down as the round trip to Wales was 790 miles - addicted, moi?

Being constructive for a moment. I think we would be more likely to go to a night with bands if we knew we were going to hear danceable music played. I can't be the only one that's gone to a dance with a band with high hopes then been disappointed. Maybe some of their music could be put on a website or a few tracks by them could be played at the promoters classes. This would help us make up our minds.

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Maybe some of their music could be played at the promoters classes. This would help us make up our minds.
    This is what we have been doing at Dorking, playing the tracks from this group in advance, plus Richie Milton played at the Black ball earlier this year and went down a storm, I have seen them three times in the last 18 months and each time the dance floor has been ful wit Modern Jivers.
    Kit Packham is another MJ band but Dana Gillespie was to fast or to slow.

Smile Dancin' too slow

Now, I've seen a couple of comments here that the bands play too fast -- and it's true that there are bands that play suicidally fast.

However, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit that perhaps it's just that we're dancing too slowly Or at least having to dance outside of our Mavericks comfort zone.

I think this is somehat down to custom and practice, especially for venues that have gone to the slower swing tunes -- when I go back to Bristol the music tempo seems to be slightly faster than say at Fleet.

I have noticed that when there's a live band playing at Greenham Common (Ginger Jive) that the music for the preceding couple of classes seems to be slightly faster tempo, to acclimatise the class (and freestylers) --- sneaky, eh.

Just because it's modern doesn't mean it's not jive -- and that's 44 bars per minute (at least according to IDTA ).

Neil.
    [Self confessed speed freak.]

P.S. Of course how many weekly classes teach how to dance comfortably to fast music (double-timing and stretching moves).

Originally posted by Dance Demon
    I A few that spring to mind are...Snakehip Jake...the Earl Jackson band, The Big Heat, and the absolutely fantastic Maria Vincent & the Millionaires

I bet Showaddywaddy would be fabulous to dance to live. I used to really fancy their lead singer when I was 15

Ahem. I am serious you know.

Daisy

PS Donny Osmond for Pop Idol!

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Daisy Chain
    I bet Showaddywaddy would be fabulous to dance to live.
    We saw them live about 5 years ago, playing at a nightclub in Yorkshire. They were great. They introduced one song by saying "here's one you can really throw your partner around to"...

... so I did!

Thread Information