Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The end of the bookshop as we know it?

Re: The end of the bookshop as we know it?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    ...or set fire to the kitchen...
    I always let a responsible adult dry my books

I got an ebook for my birthday.

I am very impressed with it, it came with 100 classics already on it, which I intend to get through and probably would never of otherwise read. I have visited Waterstones and purchased a couple of 'my sort of books', downloaded them and I must say I didn't think it would be as good as it is.

It is not like reading on a computer which I thought it might be and it is still cosy to sit in bed to read.

I'm loving it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    (On the other hand, I'm an avowed technophile, we have 6 computers in the house, and I still prefer reading 'real' books by a large margin. If the Sony e-reader was 10x faster, had 4x the resolution, was a 10th the price, and waterproof, I might change my mind).
    Heh. I used to use a Tapwave Zodiac as an e-book reader (great little devices, even by today's standards) - and to my complete dismay, one day I managed to drop it in the bath. And, surprise surprise, it promptly stopped working. 'Oops'***, sez I, and got out my backup Zodiac & set it up.

To my amazement though, around three days later, once it had completely dried out, I tried the 'ruined' one again, and it worked perfectly!

***My exact wording was slightly different, but I prefer not to receive an infraction for this post

I very rarely browse a book shop. I try and find if the book is out (or call to shop to see if they have it) then I pop in get it.

I have never used e-books but the probablitity of scratching the screen would make me paranoid about taking it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    I have never used e-books but the probablitity of scratching the screen would make me paranoid about taking it anywhere.
    Mine is in a leather cover so it is protected, on the other hand I was thinking how ideal it would be for holidays, which it would, but don't know about protection next to a swimming pool or on a beach.

Thinking of holidays, beach bags have come a long way from just having a towel, lotion and a book...mine now would have my E-Reader, my Ipod, my mobile amongst other things. It would certainly make me think twice about leaving it around whilst I have a swim

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    The only true elimination of technology in years just past has been DVD/ Freeview killing off Video, and even then the vocabulary lingers on! I think the previous death to technology was the telegram!
    Don't forget cassettes. I've still got some.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I have over a thousand books, and I'm running out of places for bookshelves. Ebooks would help that particular conundrum.
    I use the Library.
    There's this newish thing now. You can reserve any book, and it will arrive in your local library from other libraries.

I very rarely browse a book shop.
    Me neither, because I will always come out with a book.
    I can go into show shops and clothes shops and leave empty handed. What is it with books? So tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    I got an ebook for my birthday.

I am very impressed with it, it came with 100 classics already on it, which I intend to get through and probably would never of otherwise read. I have visited Waterstones and purchased a couple of 'my sort of books', downloaded them and I must say I didn't think it would be as good as it is.

It is not like reading on a computer which I thought it might be and it is still cosy to sit in bed to read.

I'm loving it.
    That wasn't 'an e-book'. It was 'an e-book reader'. The 100 classics were 'the e-books'.

Just FYI.

and when the militant far right get in power it'll make book burning so much easier for them..

Ctrl - A
    Delete

I like paper books and e-books but prefer paper I'm afraid to say.

Mind you if we ever do get to the dystopian society as portrayed in Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" a portable e-book reader in your pocket will be so much easier than memorising the complete works of Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    That wasn't 'an e-book'. It was 'an e-book reader'. The 100 classics were 'the e-books'.

Just FYI.
    Picky picky, you know what I meant....but yes you're right. I was just a little excited was all

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    there's something very satisfying looking at your bookshelf and seeing you have all of your favourite authors book... and they have the original cover design...

I have hundreds of books & the thought of being able to have an ebook does appeal but you can't beat cracking open that first page of a very anticiapted book hitting the (paperback) shelves.
    Mmmm nothing quite like the smell of bookshops (old or new) - two completely different smells, though both with a therapeutic and calming effect on me (apart from my bank balance!)

I very rarely browse a book shop. I try and find if the book is out (or call to shop to see if they have it) then I pop in get it.

You poor deprived soul Why wouldn't you want to browse in bookshops - so many worlds to discover! I can lose myself for weeeks in a good library or bookshop..

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    and when the militant far right get in power it'll make book burning so much easier for them..

Ctrl - A
    Delete

I like paper books and e-books but prefer paper I'm afraid to say.

Mind you if we ever do get to the dystopian society as portrayed in Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" a portable e-book reader in your pocket will be so much easier than memorising the complete works of Shakespeare

Paper books all the way - I use computers all day, and often want to curl up in an alternative reality on paper when I get home - I have even done a couple of courses in bookbinding, so I can sew my own notebooks now.... (I'm still very much a beginner)

WT

You poor deprived soul Why wouldn't you want to browse in bookshops - so many worlds to discover! I can lose myself for weeeks in a good library or bookshop..
    Maybe I am too much of a guy, I dont really browse much, most of the time I'm in and then out.

Mmmm nothing quite like the smell of bookshops (old or new) - two completely different smells, though both with a therapeutic and calming effect on me (apart from my bank balance!)
    with the bank balance... Everytime I go into tesco I see a new book I've been waiting for.... I have a few old 'classics for children' books & I love the old paper they're printed on.

Paper books all the way - I use computers all day, and often want to curl up in an alternative reality on paper when I get home - I have even done a couple of courses in bookbinding, so I can sew my own notebooks now.... (I'm still very much a beginner)

WT
    Now that would be fab, binding you're own notebooks (being a notebook addict.... )

Thread Information