Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Swine flu outbreak

Re: Swine flu outbreak

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Wait til Autumn/Winter, you'll overwhelmed with positives, oh and so may undertakers.
    Nah. Once you find a certain number of positives you stop testing and diagnosis is by clinical signs and symptoms only. That's because everyone from virology has to go and cover for other sick people in the hospital. And yes, virologists will be immune!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I was expecting a picture of a cat with this for some reason. lolz.

greenstuff? you mean grass? Is this any 12 people rather than a specific 12 ? Where do they buy the grass and why arent they eating pot noodles, which are marginally better? Also, how do you know this sheep is unattached ?
    The first herdsmen (early neolithic period) would find themselves commited to a roving life - a single (unmarried) sheep can clear the land of a hundredweight of greenstuff in a week. Just think what a flock can do!

greenstuff - grass, plants etc.,

The goat with it's destructive browsing habits and talent for killing plants by defolation, was valuable for clearing scrub for cultivation.

I remember a loony tunes cartoon with sheep and cows travelling across the states. Is that what you were thinking of ?
    Were there any goats?

Now swine - thay don't eat straw, grass, leaves and twigs and were the last animals (after cows) to be domesticated.

Dogs were the first.

On topic - GP's are not insured against death from Swine Fever, and are refusing to treat anyone with said fever.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Now swine - thay don't eat straw, grass, leaves and twigs and were the last animals (after cows) to be domesticated.
    On topic - GP's are not insured against death from Swine Fever, and are refusing to treat anyone with said fever.
    Pigs eat anything - including grass and leaves - they're omnivores.

Do you mean swine flu? Swine fever only infects pigs, and I don't think we have it in the UK anyway.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post

Do you mean swine flu? Swine fever only infects pigs, and I don't think we have it in the UK anyway.
    No one knows what Astro means, least of all Astro

The first herdsmen (early neolithic period) would find themselves commited to a roving life - a single (unmarried) sheep can clear the land of a hundredweight of greenstuff in a week. Just think what a flock can do!
    Were you there ? you sound sure

greenstuff - grass, plants etc.,
    yes, but how much of that is eaten by your 12 people, and what were their names ?

No wonder, they're not vets are they ?

I had a GP once that was not insured against alien abduction and refused to treat the soreness due to a ...er...visition that my er...friend experienced.

Bah. GP's! you can't trust them. I always go to the Vets - couple of horse tranqualisers and you don't care anymore.

GP's! you can't trust them. I always go to the Vets - couple of horse tranqualisers and you don't care anymore.
    Anyone is allowed to treat humans (so long as they don't pretend to be a doctor if they're not) but only vets and vet nurses are allowed to treat animals - it's all down to being able to give consent

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Anyone is allowed to treat humans (so long as they don't pretend to be a doctor if they're not) but only vets and vet nurses are allowed to treat animals - it's all down to being able to give consent
    and only vets can talk to animals ? is that what you're saying

and only vets can talk to animals ? is that what you're saying
    No that was my Uncle on my fathers side. Dr Daniel Oliver Little. (That's Dr D.O. Little BSc.(Agr.) , D.V.M. on his business cards)

Thanks for pointing out the mistake Batnurse. Don't forget truffles. They will eat humans too.
    Yeah, Swine flu.

The BMA have not insured doctors against death from Swine Flu, so if a doctor contacts Swine Flu over the weekend and dies, his/her wife/husband and kids will get no compensation.

The BMA needs to update it's list of diseases that are covered in the insurance policy for medics.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Don't forget truffles. They will eat humans too.
    I rather doubt that but anyway, i for one welcome our tasty truffle overlords...

The BMA have not insured doctors against death from Swine Flu,...
    The BMA needs to update it's list of diseases that are covered in the insurance policy for medics.
    Really? They don't cover flu ? A disease thats been a major killer in the last hundred years ? Well if they haven't added it before, i imagine they are not going to add it at all.

I rather doubt that but anyway, i for one welcome our tasty truffle overlords...

Sorry to keep you waiting Dreadful Scathe, I've been on a weekender.

Pigs do eat humans.

Infact they prefer what we eat also, to grass etc.

They are also cannibals and eat their young.

They were late to domestication because the farmers didn't have enough meat to feed them with, and they don't thrive out in field eating grass like cows, sheep, and goats.

Later as farming took off they domesticated pigs, fattening them with scraps from their table. The Pig Bucket.

Really? They don't cover flu ? A disease thats been a major killer in the last hundred years ? Well if they haven't added it before, i imagine they are not going to add it at all.
    There are many types of flu.

There are many types of flu.
    Nope just the three - A, B and C. Only A and B infect humans. The current outbreak is a variation of a flu A strain.

Nope just the three - A, B and C. Only A and B infect humans. The current outbreak is a variation of a flu A strain.
    You are of course forgetting the dreaded Martian Swamp Flu who's symptoms are Delerium, excessive sweating, and finally swelling, to several times one's normal size. And then there's the exploding, thus spreading the disease to others via splattered flesh, juices and viscera.

But I shouldn't worry as Martian Swamp flu can only be contracted from second hand copies of Space Patrol, an old 'choose your own adventure' book or by people who live on other planets..

Astro you'd better watch out...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The headmaster of the local junior school, went into an isolation hospital yesterday, with suspected Swine Flu

Apparently he was chatting with the barman at our local club the day before...

...how do I know? Because my son was served by the very same barman, who was recounting the story, last night
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

It seems that one poor lad in our office has just succumbed. His sister was at a school where there was an outbreak. Sadly, they're not going to close the office, but we are allowed to work from home at the first sign of a sore throat...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    It seems that one poor lad in our office has just succumbed. His sister was at a school where there was an outbreak. Sadly, they're not going to close the office, but we are allowed to work from home at the first sign of a sore throat...

"I'm feeling a bit run down...aaachooo " is your phrase for tomorrow then

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

So, the cattle drives were not thousands of miles long, and in any case the cattle kept to rather narrow paths. They weren't responsible for the dustbowls; this was sharecropping.
    Until the early 1870's, texas rancers had held great cattle drives of thousands of Longhorns, urging them alonf the 7000-mile Chisholm Trail from San Antonio to Abilene, at a rate of about a dozen miles a day.

from Abilene they were taken by rail to the new meat processing plants in Chicago and Kansas City.

When the Great Plains were cleared of Bison,the new land was opened to range cattle. The Texans sent thier cattle to the plains on the hoof to rest and fatten up, before the last easy journey to the stockyards.

In 1881 The Prarie Cattle Company of Edinburgh, Scotland , was able to declare a divi of 28%
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Oh, the rancher and the cowman should be friends...
    Yes, the rancher and the cowman should be friends!
    One man likes to push a plough
    The other likes to rope a cow
    But that's no reason why they cain't be friends....

Territory folks should stick together
    Territory folks should all be pals
    Cowmen dance with the rancher's daughters
    Ranchers dance with the cowmen's gals...

...yee har!
    The emnity between cattlemen and grain growers was to have a powerful influence on politics in all the new territories.

Granger and Greenback movements, Farmer's Alliances and in Populism, whose aggitators used the slogan "raise less corn, and more Hell"
    Last edited by Astro; 26th-June-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Until the early 1870's, texas rancers had held great cattle drives of thousands of Longhorns, urging them alonf the 7000-mile Chisholm Trail from San Antonio to Abilene, at a rate of about a dozen miles a day.

from Abilene they were taken by rail to the new meat processing plants in Chicago and Kansas City.

When the Great Plains were cleared of Bison,the new land was opened to range cattle. The Texans sent thier cattle to the plains on the hoof to rest and fatten up, before the last easy journey to the stockyards.
    Astro - if you're going to post off-topic, at least do us the courtesy of citing your quotes.

---Food in History, Reay Tannahill [Three Rivers Press:New York] 1988 (p. 316-7)

Anyway - the flu's spreading here. The chap sitting next to me has now phoned in sick with "flu-like symptoms".

Astro - if you're going to post off-topic, at least do us the courtesy of citing your quotes.
    ---Food in History, Reay Tannahill [Three Rivers Press:New York] 1988 (p. 316-7)
    [/quote] Quite right, I typed a much longer post, but it logged me out. I'm just reading that book, and came across a bit about cattle in the US, which Barry Shnikov and i were agruing about earlier in this thread. Posts 74-93

Where is Barry anyway?
    Has anyone seen him since Scorch?
    Is he still on the M6?
    or did he pull?
    Anyway - the flu's spreading here. The chap sitting next to me has now phoned in sick with "flu-like symptoms".
    Let's hope it's A, B or C, and not Swine Flu.
    Last edited by Astro; 26th-June-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Quite a few posters go off topic but this thread has gone wildly off it, what have past North American cattle drivers got to do with the current topic of Swine Flue other than that there are over a million cases of it over there now?

I was told this morning that a health centre in Govanhill, Glasgow, has closed its doors due to the high prevalence of Swine Flue in the area. I'm not an alarmist but there's already been one death attributed to it in Glasgow and if not worried, we should at least be concerned.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Let's hope it's A, B or C, and not Swine Flu.
    But Swine Flu is A...oh never mind, carry on !

Thread Information