Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Swine flu outbreak

Blog Entries

Re: Swine flu outbreak

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    yes but you cant physically catch a disease by reading about, even if you do convince yourself you have the symptoms.
    Depression?
    yes but you cant physically catch a disease by reading about, even if you do convince yourself you have the symptoms.

AAArgh is there anything we can do ?!?!?! what are we all going to do ??!? does this mean i should stop having sex with pigs ? or do you not catch it that way ? I had a bacon sandwich 2 weeks ago!?!?!?aaarrgh
    You should definitely stop having sex with pigs. 'Pork sword' is just a phrase, not an instruction.

physical effects of depression:-

http://tinyurl.com/cslxxa

and:

The paper showed that depression and anxiety have significant negative effects on the immune system. These disorders cause considerable stress ...
    Dancing really is good for you

Last edited by bigdjiver; 1st-May-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Depression?
    Depression is catching ? how does it transfer ?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    On the other hand, maybe a suppressed immune system isn't such a bad thing... as ever, xkcd makes a good point.
    Yes the alt text suggesting that to be on the safe side we should spend the next few weeks drunk and sleep deprived I'll start tonight.

Depression is catching ? how does it transfer ?
    Through thought....I'll think about that one

Depression is catching ? how does it transfer ?...
    Be very, very grateful that you do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    There are bugs and viruses everywhere so I guess there is no increased risk for you, and as yet the UK Swine flu appears to be fairly mild.
    Its not so bad as before my last surgery when I was at risk of getting dehydrated more easily - eg a bout of the vomiting bug could have put me in hospital on a drip. I think my immune system is fine and I'm healing well and quickly from the last op.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    With respect Lynn, you're not 12! Do they think you have a pea sized brain and that you can't make sensible, rational decisions for yourself? I can understand family members worrying about a loved one but "wont let me"???
    Yes sometimes I think they do! To be honest its more about me not wanting to stress them about it so much that their health suffers, not an issue of 'permission'. If media hype calms down they will be OK. They've been through a lot with me suddenly being so ill in Dec, then all the recovery and more surgery last week. I just don't want to worry them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post

This is who started it

he's just kissing a pig.. or is he just porcine his lips? I can never tell..

We were just discussing intensively farmed pigs on another thread about immune systems.

Are the pigs striking back?

Did the cows strike back with BSG?

Did the sheep strike back with Foot and Mouth?

Did the hens and turkeys strike back with bird flu?

As long as we breed animals for food in abhorant conditions we have only ourselves to blame.

Plus the amount of grain a cow eats to produce a beefburger could feed a family for a week in the third world.

the first celebrity case is revealed

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2408611.ece

that girl singer Tulisa from Ndubz a lot of my friends love the band and theyre gutted that tulisa has the flu, especially as NDubz were going to be at the coolest club in town: remix in hitchin!

i have to say i personally think its all an exaggeration, like bird flu, i mean thats dissappeaered now hasnt it? my friend chrystal is being especially annoying actually flapping her hands away when someone sneezed and yelling swine flu!!!! at the top of her voice! she even bought in disinfectant and started spraying it all over chairs, tables, and plates in the common room, i wont be surprised if she turns up in a bio suit like this: http://www.biotestofcleveland.com/images/bio-suit1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    As long as we breed animals for food in abhorrent conditions we have only ourselves to blame.

I dread the day when the Vegetables revolt because of all the vegetarians in the world..

"Day of the Triffids Pt II : The Curse of the Carrots !! "

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    the first celebrity case is revealed
    No. She has a respiratory infection, they haven't got the test results yet. Symptoms of swine flu are the same as any other respiratory infection, and as yet, nobody outside of Mexico or the USA have had anything other than a mild case of flu - no different to ordinary flu that people get any other year.
    I do wish people would stop panicking - it's not a good time to be a virologist On the other hand, the overtime money comes in handy!

Plus the amount of grain a cow eats to produce a beefburger could feed a family for a week in the third world.
    Is that statement factual? It seems to me as being something a vegan might say to back up an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Is that statement factual? It seems to me as being something a vegan might say to back up an argument.
    Well, it may be an over exaggeration, or on the other hand, it might be an under exaggeration.

Bear in mind that vast tracks of land are dustbowls in the USA where cattle have been driven in the past by cowboys.

The land will never recover to grow any food on.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Just looked on the New Scientist website and it does take a lot of grain to produce beef.

As for Astro's statement, you could argue how big your beefburger is and how small a family is, but I'd say it's not too far out:
    Quote Originally Posted by New Scientist article
    Furthermore, to produce a kilogram of beef (2.2 pounds), farmers also have to feed a cow 15 kg of grain and 30 kg of forage.
    The article is mainly about the cost of beef in terms of energy, greenhouse gases etc., which is also pretty high.
    Love dance, will travel

Way back I saw my father become very ill with pleurisy. The first sympthoms were a stabbing pain when he coughed. So when I suffered that this morning I rang NHS direct. I eventually got the wait and see response, but only after repeated questioning about swine flu, and my repeated denials that it was anything to do with that. It looks like one of their first assumptions is that callers are hypochondriacs.

Meanwhile I cough, and it hurts.

Way back I saw my father become very ill with pleurisy. The first sympthoms were a stabbing pain when he coughed. So when I suffered that this morning I rang NHS direct. I eventually got the wait and see response, but only after repeated questioning about swine flu, and my repeated denials that it was anything to do with that. It looks like one of their first assumptions is that callers are hypochondriacs.

The trouble is everyone is fixated with this "Media hyped" Swine flu...

You must have found it very frustrating when you are in real need of the correct medical advise...

I hope you finally got the right advise and are feeling is much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    The trouble is everyone is fixated with this "Media hyped" Swine flu...

You must have found it very frustrating when you are in real need of the correct medical advise...

I hope you finally got the right advise and are feeling is much better now.
    BigDjiver

Naturally I thought I needed anti-biotics instantly, but Dr Internet says Pleurisy is a virus infection, so they would have done no good. Dr. I said take paracetamol to reduce inflammation. How unsexy is that? Perhaps I should ahve stuck in a the ocassional Ole and Senoritta and got anti-virals.

Anyhoo whatver it was the pain has stopped and all I have now is a minor cough.

NHS Direct 1 BigD 0

Naturally I thought I needed anti-biotics instantly, but Dr Internet says Pleurisy is a virus infection, so they would have done no good. Dr. I said take paracetamol to reduce inflammation. How unsexy is that? Perhaps I should ahve stuck in a the ocassional Ole and Senoritta and got anti-virals.

Anyhoo whatver it was the pain has stopped and all I have now is a minor cough.

NHS Direct 1 BigD 0
    You can take ibuprofen as well as paracetomol; it will help with pain/discomfort and inflammation.

Thread Information