Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daft Advice On The Dance Floor

Re: Daft Advice On The Dance Floor

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation isn't it? (not to mention wrong ).

My post above is referring to an experienced lady who was giving me duff advice as a beginner.

There have also been plenty of occasions when (usually out in the sticks) ladies take it upon themselves to tell guys they're doing a move wrong in freestyle, when in fact it was the ladies anticipating a move that the guy wasn't even leading!

I'm guessing it was probably a lady that told Baruch to use signals and semi-circles too!

Point taken Gav but by enlarge it is the guys..who tend to give the wrong advise most of the time.... ask any lady

With regard to ladies doing the wrong move.... I would say that the mans lead was perhaps ambigious....

You are also correct it is very frustrating when the lady anticipates wrong move (unless the guy changes it halfway through) We just have to learn to be better, stronger and more positive leaders. NOT ROUGHER ONES. so it is enjoyable for both partners....Well it is a partner dance.

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    The common denominator here is that for some reason the "Guys" (leader) ALWAYS seem to think they are the "expert".

As the ladies know they are not..and therefore are not allowed to have a say.

The "Guys" think that they are at the class because they "know it all"
    That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation isn't it?
    I can sympathise with the SPROGGS' sentiment here.

I used to think the similar things (that there were a lot of big headed men who thought their skill was such that their partner should revere them (and generally feel privaledged that they were able to dance with them etc)

Then I learnt to lead...

And I discovered there were women who were just as bad

I'm guessing it was probably a lady that told Baruch to use signals and semi-circles too!
    Yup! Several ladies, in fact. You'd expect it from beginners who don't know any better, but the lady in question was no beginner.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Thats got to be under good avice (if correct) many women and I guess men, dance far too many 'steps' and hence are way out on the beat
    Well - you're just going to have to take my word for it that this didn't apply to me. At the time, I found it funny because I was being told off for doing footwork. Simple footwork, but footwork nonetheless - and I was doing it because it went with the music.

Nowadays, I find this incident all the funnier, because since I took up Lindy, I now put far more footwork into my MJ than I ever did back then.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A guy last night gave me an almightly shove, then had the cheek to tell me that I span too fast

I tried to tell him, I only span as fast as 'he' span me but he looked at me as though I was nuts.

Then at the end of the dance, he held my hand and said, "I'd really love to have a 'Ballroom dance' with you"... so I asked, what Ballroom dances do you do?

He then replied, Oh, I don't do 'any' but I'm imagining if I did, it'd be good
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Your reputation is obviously preceding you there chick!

Then at the end of the dance, he held my hand and said, "I'd really love to have a 'Ballroom dance' with you"... so I asked, what Ballroom dances do you do?

He was inches away from using a great line! Instead of saying I don't do any I would have replied:

HORIZONTAL MAMBO!!!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    He was inches away from using a great line! Instead of saying I don't do any I would have replied:

HORIZONTAL MAMBO!!!!
    If you think that's a great line, I really don't want to know what you consider a bad one...

A guy last night gave me an almightly shove, then had the cheek to tell me that I span too fast

I was once told off for doing multiple spins and 'showing off', as it made the guy feel inadequate (he was an intermediate dancer who'd danced for perhaps 6 months or so). I politely told him that if he used all his force to spin me, that's what the result would be. I also asked him how he'd like me to dance to make him feel better, and he replied 'don't dance so advanced'.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    If you think that's a great line, I really don't want to know what you consider a bad one...
    Probably something along the lines of: Does this smell like chloroform to you?

"You're not concentrating enough" followed almost immediately by "You're not relaxed enough"...oh really? I wonder why!!! Was I too busy 'Concentrating enough' perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by Haylz View Post
    "You're not concentrating enough" followed almost immediately by "You're not relaxed enough"...oh really? I wonder why!!! Was I too busy 'Concentrating enough' perchance?
    I'm glad I can't hear well.

I've not really had any daft advice on the dancefloor, other than DTS crashing into me for fun then yelling "FLOORCRAFT!" at me!!!!

Thread Information