Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone want a dog??

Does anyone want a dog??

I really need to get rid of my old english sheepdog 9 month old dog as soon as possible. Can anyone help?

I am based in London and work all day and the poor thing is left on it own for several hours daily..

I have contacted the breeder, the old english sheepdog society and a few dog walkers but still not found a home for her.

Ask around for me please!

Dawn

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Re: Does anyone want a dog??

A vet can give an injection for that.

If you think I am being cruel, it's not as cruel as you getting one in the first place when you are not able to look after it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy View Post
    Yes - but what about the poor dog?

.....I'll get my coat...

If you think I am being cruel, it's not as cruel as you getting one in the first place when you are not able to look after it.
    Maybe she was able to look after it when she got it but circumstances have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Maybe she was able to look after it when she got it but circumstances have changed.
    Thank you Isis!

What happened was that I was at work and this man brought along this beautiful creature to my work and said "anyone want this" the men there are hard and said "as she been done"? "Can she have puppies"? how much are they worth? Me being kind hearted took her home and gave her back the confidence that she deserved. I knew I could not keep her as far as I am concerned I rescued this dog from puppy making men.

Hope this answers your questions John the not so bloody happy guy!

Not been on the forum properly for ages and if people like you have joined it maybe I will stay off.

The breeder should take her back. It's a kind of unwritten rule that they take back any dog they have bred, if it's under a year old. The OES rescue is probably your best bet. Contact the Kennel Club and ask for a list of breed rescues, there is bound to be several for OES and you may have more luck going further afield. When I lived in Surrey I rescued a dog from just outside Edinburgh.
    Whatever you do, do not take her to Battersea Dogs Home. I worked there as a nurse for a year (just long enough to find another job) and it's a truly awful place.
    Good luck

As a volunteer for the NZ SPCA, I find this post to be more repugnant than anything I've seen written on this forum in all my time here. If more people thought like you then untold numbers of innocent animals, including both my gorgeous dog (who is curled up mangling chew toy next to my feet as I write this) and one-eyed cat, would have never gotten the chance for the happy life they've got now.

Getting put down is only an option for animals with no chance of quality of life or violence issues, and a 9-month old puppy isn't likely to be in either of those categories.

If you're willing to cast off a life so casually then I hope the universe see's fit to consider yours as worthless.

I have tried to contact the original breeder but seems they are not registered so this poor animal is part of "puppy farming". I am in contact with OES who are trying to help me. I only put his on the forum as I know the main OES is based in Scotland and wondered if anyone there could help. Will never take her to Battersea or any other rescue place. I will find her a nice home that she deserves.

Thanks for reading my thread!

In NZ we have a very popular web site called www.trademe.co.nz. It started out as an auctioning site but over the years it’s expanded into more of a networking site to find whatever you’re looking for. Because it’s so easy to search it’s a very popular first stop for people looking for pets, and the current owner is free to impose whatever conditions on the sale they choose (like making sure the pet is going to a good home…).

People put animals on the site for the whole gamut of reasons, good and bad, but that doesn’t make it any less effective. I don’t know if there’s something similar in the UK but I’m sure someone reading this thread would be able to give you a better idea.

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    As a volunteer for the NZ SPCA,

Getting put down is only an option for animals with no chance of quality of life or violence issues, and a 9-month old puppy isn't likely to be in either of those categories.

Missy D, the dog's owner describes her situation as "I need to get rid"

She describes it's current quality of life as being " a poor thing that is left on it's own."

Then there is the sweeping assumption that as the breeder is unregistered - it must have come from a puppy farm ?

Well done Missy D - you have definitely saved the dog from a terrible fate.

Rather than spending money on one eyed dogs, some people are of the opinion it would be better using any available money carrying out simple operations to save the sight of people in third world countries where medical facilities for people are worse than those given to animals here.

She describes it's current quality of life as being " a poor thing that is left on it's own."

Then there is the sweeping assumption that as the breeder is unregistered - it must have come from a puppy farm ?

Well done Missy D - you have definitely saved the dog from a terrible fate.
    Firstly, although it’s living conditions may not be ideal at the moment, MissyD is actively doing something to improve them. It was possibly a mistake taking it in the first place, but it’s a mistake she’s trying to rectify in a way that doesn’t involve killing a puppy. In a months time that animal might be living the dream on a farm with a loving family if MissyD keeps trying, which a damn site better than having had it’s ashes scattered to the winds.

Rather than spending money on one eyed dogs, some people are of the opinion it would be better using any available money carrying out simple operations to save the sight of people in third world countries where medical facilities for people are worse than those given to animals here.
    Would these be the same people that blow 7 quid a couple of times a week to go dancing, live a life of extraordinary waste, spend their time surfing the net on frivolous forums and put a bit of money aside for someone else to try cleaning up in a community about as removed from your own as it’s possible to get? Would they condone not spending any money on treating diabetes anywhere in the world just because we don’t have cancer beaten yet?

Unless you’re actually an aid worker taking that kind of moral stance is just asking for trouble….

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    I really need to get rid of my old english sheepdog 9 month old dog as soon as possible. Can anyone help?

Dawn
    I will most certainly ask around for you, I know someone that has two of them, hopefully she has contacts

MissyD, You may have already seen this on the OES Rescue site, but for dogs in England they recommend Gill Harwood in Lincolnshire.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    MissyD, You may have already seen this on the OES Rescue site, but for dogs in England they recommend Gill Harwood in Lincolnshire.

Good luck.

Oooh I dont know this number will call as soon as I finish work! Thank you

I wrote this very quickly as was at work at the time - anywords that I used were just quick slang. I use poor thing even when speaking about friends and family.

Thanks for replying John - your post seemed to attract a few people that are putting the feelers out for me.

I wrote this very quickly as was at work at the time - anywords that I used were just quick slang. I use poor thing even when speaking about friends and family.

Thanks for replying John - your post seemed to attract a few people that are putting the feelers out for me.
    Missy d i think the majority of us knew exactly what you meant and aplaud you for doing something that is really hard
    i for one couldnt think of getting rid of a family pet it must be really hard for you
    i wish we could help but we are out at work all day most days of the week so we have parrots lol they talk to eachother
    i have to admit i would love another giant breed dog having had a wolfhound and a st bernard in the past

Yay I have found Millie a lovely new home she is going to a lovely couple who already have an Old English Sheepdog. Thanks to all that read this thread

Yay I have found Millie a lovely new home she is going to a lovely couple who already have an Old English Sheepdog. Thanks to all that read this thread
    I am glad you got things sorted, it must have been so hard for you to make this decision, and it is good to know Millie will be happy.

Ah that's great news! And she has a new playmate to learn naughty, oops I mean useful tricks from

Thread Information