Thread: CDRom dissappears upon setup of WinXP

CDRom dissappears upon setup of WinXP

Hi,
    You've been very helpful recently in my project to build a new PC, so can I please ask for a little more assistance.
    Well I've succeeded in assembling a basic pc with a Athelon Processor (750Mhz), connected a 28Gig Hard Drive, 3 x 128MHz RAM, floppy and a CDRom. I successfully loaded Windows98 (SE), after installing an old version of DOS to get a prompt.
    SO now it all works happily........until I tried to upgrade to XP!

IT starts to load, checks my system, copies all the setup files, then proceeds with the installation...'WIndows will load in 60 secs...58...55 etc.
    Then I get the dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death!)
    'WIndows has stopped loading and shut down...WIndows cannot detect a CDRom..... Even though for the previous 10 minutes its obviously been reading from the setup disk to get as far as it has.

Checked connections , IDE, Ribbon cable, even that the CD drawer opens and closes!!

So I'm flummoxed!! It works, it's loaded Win98 ok, starts loading and then for some reason it falls out with the CDRom!!! So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Re: CDRom dissappears upon setup of WinXP

I'm probably missing your previous posts on this PC building project of yours, but my first reaction is:

Why try to do an XP upgrade over an install of Win 98?

I'd prefer to do a format and install XP cleanly, as its been fairly well documented on dozens of newsgroups, forum threads all over the Net on how troublesome it is to do an XP upgrade over a Win98 installation :- ranging from DLL associations being missed through to hardware device drivers simply not working anymore (e.g. this 'CD-ROM not detected' error may well be a good example!).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieJ View Post
    I'm probably missing your previous posts on this PC building project of yours, but my first reaction is:

Why try to do an XP upgrade over an install of Win 98?

I'd prefer to do a format and install XP cleanly, as its been fairly well documented on dozens of newsgroups, forum threads all over the Net on how troublesome it is to do an XP upgrade over a Win98 installation :- ranging from DLL associations being missed through to hardware device drivers simply not working anymore (e.g. this 'CD-ROM not detected' error may well be a good example!).
    Actually that would be my preferred option but as I had so much fun actually getting the computer to work in the first place (Thats what happens when you use all second-hand parts) I thought that if all else fails I would still have the Windows 98.

I had to install an old DOS originally (version 6 I think) as I kept getting the faithful old 'Boot Disk Error - Insert systems disk' message, so I could get a prompt. I tried to install XP on start-up but I couldn't find the CDRom (i think that was a completely different error, which I must have solved in order to get 98 to load.

Now you mention it I could take a step back now I have a prompt, to re-format, partition and load it from start-up. Thanks anyway for your comments

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I agree - installing XP over win98 ? just say NO!

Although if I was you I'd try Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    Actually that would be my preferred option but as I had so much fun actually getting the computer to work in the first place (Thats what happens when you use all second-hand parts) I thought that if all else fails I would still have the Windows 98.

I had to install an old DOS originally (version 6 I think) as I kept getting the faithful old 'Boot Disk Error - Insert systems disk' message, so I could get a prompt. I tried to install XP on start-up but I couldn't find the CDRom (i think that was a completely different error, which I must have solved in order to get 98 to load.

Now you mention it I could take a step back now I have a prompt, to re-format, partition and load it from start-up. Thanks anyway for your comments
    Sorry if my original reply sounded a bit brusque - of course I'd like to help, its just that its been a while since I'd come across someone who asked about a Win98 -> XP ugprade process, and frankly there's too many things that tend to go wrong to try and persist with it.

Assuming you don't have any critical data (or if you do, make a backup!), then I would strongly recommend simply doing a reformat HDD, then install XP cleanly.

Let us know how you get on with it, and whether you still want to try the 98 -> XP path or do the format & clean install XP method.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I agree with the clean install of XP.

You will need to ensure your bios boot disk prioty is set to CD-Rom first then you will find that the XP disk should be bootable meaning you dont have to mess around with Dos disks like you did with Win98.

If your worried about it all going wrong and still having windows 98 the answer is pretty simple to that, If you can't get XP going, Format the PC and re-install win98 again.

Enjoy the experiance of building your first PC. The novalty soon wears off though when you are doing you upteenth upgrade or repair to a faimly members PC

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    IT starts to load, checks my system, copies all the setup files, then proceeds with the installation...'WIndows will load in 60 secs...58...55 etc.
    Then I get the dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death!)
    'WIndows has stopped loading and shut down...WIndows cannot detect a CDRom..... Even though for the previous 10 minutes its obviously been reading from the setup disk to get as far as it has.

Checked connections , IDE, Ribbon cable, even that the CD drawer opens and closes!!

So I'm flummoxed!! It works, it's loaded Win98 ok, starts loading and then for some reason it falls out with the CDRom!!! So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
    The reason why it read the CD-ROM at first is that in initial setup mode it was asking the BIOS or Windows 98 drivers to read the CD-ROM for it.

Once it gets beyond that stage the Windows XP native drivers needed to read the CD-ROM (unlike Windows 98 it cannot use the BIOS or Windows 9x drivers beyond the initial setup stage).

It won't necessarily help to do a clean install, as if there is a problem with the Windows XP native drivers reading your CDROM, it may not matter how you got to that stage.

You could copy the contents of your CDROM to your hard disk using Windows 98 and run the setup from there, which should allow you to install without a CDROM, if suitable options are chosen.

The CDROM problem could be because it is attached to an add in card which needs extra drivers or the Windows XP drivers are stricter than the BIOS about what they require, and don't like some aspect of the configuration.

Thanks very much for all your help. I reformatted the c-drive and can't find the CDRom now again, but I@m wondering if it is because I partitioned the disk in the first place and can't find the CD prompt (I get a drive C, D and E, but none of them recognise the Setup CD. I like the idea of copying the disk to Win 98 and loading from there.

I always wondered how men of a certain age become complete computer geeks, and I think the answer is that they've all tried a project like this. Thanks again for all your help

Have you tried changing the bios setting for plug and play os?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321779

or other bios settings?

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...d.php?p=544931
    Last edited by bigdjiver; 25th-April-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Thumbs up Re: CDRom dissappears upon setup of WinXP

SUCCESS!!! I decided to follow frod's advice and I copied the XP disc into my Win98 os and it all worked, so thank you very much for the suggestions, now I need to add a few 'enhancements' like a sound card, USB hub and possibly update my graphics if I can.

However I've still got a problem with XP not recognising the CDRom, but I'm sure its a BIOS problem and your advice will help me with that, obviously I need that for the various drivers (Ironically I can't download them until I can use my CD to download broadband!). Once I've done that hopefully I will have a cleaner faster internet connection

Thanks again

Thread Information