Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The apprentice - PANTS?

Blog Entries

The apprentice - PANTS?

I have never watched this programme before but Scarface said to me, you gotta watch it, its so your cup of tea and im hooked.

Last nite they had to come up with an advert for a new cereal and promote it and one of the idiots come up with the idea of Mr Pants (his thinking was you need the cereal which they called wake up call to eat so that you dont put ya pants on over ya trousers) jeeeez

Honestly, its car crash marketing at its best.

My fave to win is NOBODY at this point. They all seem to be a bit idiotic and the biggest idiot of all so far is Mr Pants who screams and sulks if he cant get his own way.

Ooh and did anybody notice the extra long and sort of (im shaggin kiss) betweeen the kate and phillip at the end.? DEFOO SHAGGIN I THINK

Are you watching it, who is ya fave, who do you think is a loser??
    Last edited by Trouble; 23rd-April-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Re: The apprentice - PANTS?

I am an addict. I tell myself that it is the best exposures of management dynamics that I have seen.

The majority of them are engrossed in trying to get rivals to eliminate themselves, rather than in winning the task. Phillip suggest Mr. Pants, and nearly all of the others all nod their heads. If it all goes belly up it will have been his fault. Most of them have missed the essential points that if they are on the winning team they cannot be eliminated, and that Mr. Sugar is looking for team players that are part of winning teams.

Apart from the blue box the other team did a good job in the circumstances. Nobody else's cereal boxes are dark blue because dark blue is a no-no for food packaging.

If you think that you can do something different in the market-place the usual reason why nobody else is doing it is because it does not work.

It has its magic moments. The child actor in the commercial telling them he cannot tuck into their delicious breakfast cereal because he is allergic to nuts.

He should have stayed away from that team then, shouldn't he?

The best part was the programme after the main one, with Mary Portas, a bloke from Saatchi &S and Jenny Eclair, disecting events. I would pay serious money to hear Portas's commentary on the programme as it unfolded.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    The best part was the programme after the main one, with Mary Portas, a bloke from Saatchi &S and Jenny Eclair, disecting events. I would pay serious money to hear Portas's commentary on the programme as it unfolded.

I didn't know there was a programme after ?? what is that on?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Apart from the blue box the other team did a good job in the circumstances. Nobody else's cereal boxes are dark blue because dark blue is a no-no for food packaging.
    Well, both Shreddies and Tescos own version of Shreddies are in dark blue boxes. So ...er...what are you talking about? I only buy Tescos own now, as they are just as good and don't have a stupid off-putting advert suggesting the cereal is knitted by geriatrics. yes really! Which just goes to show, marketers get it wrong all the time.

I also buy oatcakes in a dark blue box, and pringles, and full fat milk for the kids and...hey, you're just making this up aren't you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I didn't know there was a programme after ?? what is that on?
    BBC2 - straight after - "Apprentice you're fired".

Nooral or Monotone-Moaner should've gone last night. Kimberley dug her own grave not inviting them back in the board room.

Nooral done f'cuk all. Moaner's presentation skills are abysmal. Neither have done much in previous weeks either.

Kimberley got offered a job at the advertising agency, and at least Lorraine done something, - better entertainment value then Nooral & Moaner also, - so I didn't really want to see either Phil, Lorraine or Kimberley to leave really.

Kate actually done quite well last night, - although I won't be forgetting her sales pitch on the restaurant task

Ooh and did anybody notice the extra long and sort of (im shaggin kiss) betweeen the kate and phillip at the end.? DEFOO SHAGGIN I THINK
    On the BBC2 program they showed extra footage of them in the house and they are together.

At first they showed Philip saying "she knows what she's doing, she's got all these lads falling all over her but I'm too smart to fall for it" followed by umpteen clips of him looking like a lovesick puppy over her.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Nobody else's cereal boxes are dark blue because dark blue is a no-no for food packaging.

If you think that you can do something different in the market-place the usual reason why nobody else is doing it is because it does not work.
    Well, both Shreddies and Tescos own version of Shreddies are in dark blue boxes. So ...er...what are you talking about?

I also buy oatcakes in a dark blue box, and pringles, and full fat milk for the kids and...hey, you're just making this up aren't you ?
    Kellogg's seem to think dark blue is OK too.
    Last edited by Gav; 23rd-April-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Well, both Shreddies and Tescos own version of Shreddies are in dark blue boxes. So ...er...what are you talking about?...

The "marketing term for making it up" is "being creative".

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Kellogg's seem to think dark blue is OK too.
    Both Kellogs and Nestle have the same problem, several different products in the same market. They have to distinguish between them. The Shreddies box has a sky blue panel on it, surrounded by the yellow of sunshine and the green of grass, Yummy colours.

I am not familiar with the Tesco box, but their problem is different, they want their own brands to look cheap, or look like the brand leaders.

The "Treasure flakes" (inspired name) box had more and deeper blue. Sky blue and less of it, would have given it a nice pleasant natural feel.

Which just goes to show, marketers get it wrong all the time.

rearranged:
    ...I also buy oatcakes in a dark blue box, and pringles, and full fat milk for the kids and... marketers get it wrong all the time...
    Who am I to argue?

the tasty treats the pirate makes so get yourself some treasure flakes!

pants man was terrible and kim had no idea bless her that pants in england is the urban definition for crap!

i loved the treasure flakes idea right from the beginning though it was slightly arrogant for both ben and phillip to insist on singing the jingle themselves, and they both looked complete twits as well but hey if you dont have the entertainment factor then the apprentice would be pretty damn boring!

I have never watched this programme before but Scarface said to me, you gotta watch it, its so your cup of tea and im hooked.

Honestly, its car crash marketing at its best.

My fave to win is NOBODY at this point. They all seem to be a bit idiotic and the biggest idiot of all so far is Mr Pants who screams and sulks if he cant get his own way.
    I resisted watching this up until two series ago, I was nagged and nagged to watch it, watched 10 minutes of an episode and couldn't stand it, at the time I worked at Tesco's head office and had to work with overbearing, arrogant, self promoting tw*ts all day, so wasn't too keen to watch those types on the tv in my spare time BUT THEN I watched a whole episode the following week and saw the extent to which they crash and burn and make complete fools of themselves ... compulsive viewing ... although this series not as good, and by good I mean cringeworthy as previous ones, maybe it's just the way they are choosing which footage to show.

Loved the other week where they confused cedarwood with sandalwood, and worse confused %'age with weight.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusj View Post
    ...Loved the other week where they confused cedarwood with sandalwood, and worse confused %'age with weight.
    This episode showed the highs and the lows, and ought to serve as an inspiration to those afflicted by the recession.

They had to invent and market new beauty products in a few days. On one hand the team leader picked to fail, the walking dead, came up with a horrible sludgey bar of Honey soap. Some people bought it.

He was easily outsold by the other team who came up with good products which sold well.
    They used a stockbroker to check the costings.
    He went AWOL (absent without leave)
    The mix-up meant they used loads of the humongously expensive sandalwood, confusing it with cedarwood, and none of them spotted the error. Their team were doomed before they started to sell it.

The stockbroker, and the dead man walking both survived to fail again another day.

The big message is, even in these economic climes,

it is possible to launch new products and succeed.

Not a fan of Ben's but he's brilliant in this clip

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    Kimberley dug her own grave not inviting them back in the board room.
    I just watched it - i haven't seen previous episodes so only have this to go on. The Mr.Pants was clearly an awful idea. Lorraine was a miserable bit*h (no nicer way of putting it) but by the end i thought she had good reason for being like that. Philip was annoying and deserved to be in the boardroom for brashly pushing such a terrible idea, but as he said in there, which made me think "the man has a very good point", why was he selected to go in the boardroom when he clearly did put a lot of work into it, bad idea or not, when people who had done nothing were safe ... there was no doubt Kimberley was the only choice for the boot.

The other teams whole campaign was great except the advert; Too dark and depressing with a terrible voice over. If only it had been "boy at breakfast table - bored with cereal - transported to sunny desert island with Captain Squawk ...etc..."

but hey, 5 stars: Will watch again.

Don't forget folks, - Suralan's search for an apprentice, CONTINUES! tonight 9pm

If you missed the last few episodes and want a recap, these little sketches are brilliant:

Blog Entries

honestly, i thought i would pass fluid from laughing last night.

Ben - wot a **** but when he picked James at first to go back in the boardroom, firstly James's face but then AS said,

" it looks like a village is missing an idiot"

Fantastic.

But anyway, wrong team was back in the boardroom last night.

Gotta go in a meeting now but could go on and on about this programme and last nights mishaps, might come back to it later.

It is a shame that we did not get to see the criteria on which the task was judged. It looked like both teams failed to understand the rules, as was the case in previous series.

Blog Entries

This moment gave me a warm feeling all over....

Gobby mare.

I absolutely love The Apprentice.

However, one thing REALLY annoys me. When they show the preview of the next episode at the end. They always show the clip of Sir Alan pointing and saying 'You're Fired'. Now when you've got 3 people in the final boardroom, one on left, one in middle and one on right. And in the preview, Sir Alan leans obviously to one side in the preview, it totally gives it away for the next episode. Luckily I usually forget which way he points by the next week but eventually it'll get me. Does anyone know if they just use random clips of him saying 'You're Fired' or if it is actually the firing of the next episode?

Thread Information