Thread: Bigger brother....?

Bigger brother....?

Taken from http://randomreality.blogware.com/ , a particularly well written and interesting blog by a London EMS with an interest in digital media is the following appeal from the ORG (Open Rights Group) regarding surveillance of the population of Britan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Acts of Reality
    The UK Government plans massive new security snooping on the internet,under their ‘Intercept Modernisation Programme’. Internet Service.
    Providers are already required to keep our ‘traffic data’, now government wants to get hold of this data whenever they like.

Some of the plans you'll have heard about - including plans to “snoop on Facebook” and other social networking sites, by looking at your internet traffic as it passes through special government equipment.

Even more seriously, they may intend to centralise all the info they can in a central database, or get special access to ISPs’ data stores, so they can retrieve information without having to ask ISPs first.

== ACT NOW ==

Please contact your MP to ask them to bring your concerns to the attention of Jacqui Smith. If you get a reply, it will probably be lazy and a brush off - respond and you are very likely to get a better answer. This page has a template letter and links to further info:

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/act-t...-the-internet/

== WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ORG? ==

To find out more about our supporters, in particular what motivates you to campaign for digital rights and how we can better help you take action, Open Rights Group is holding two focus groups in the evening of 27 and 29 April. If you can help us out for a couple of hours, please email to supporters@openrightsgroup.org with 'focus' as the subject heading. We'll reply with a brief form for you to fill out and return, which will ensure we get a balanced, representative view of our supporters.

The focus groups will take place at our office in central London. We'll cover reasonable travel expenses to be sure of getting supporters from across the country. Looking forward to meeting some more of you!
    Granted, it was a few years ago now since I was on your fine (ok, grey and bleak – I lived in London ) shores, but something that truly terrified me back then was the amount of surveillance of the public that was going on by the government. I’ve read about the NHS centralized database fiasco since then and the thought of so much of personal information being stored in a single, relatively unsecure location makes my skin crawl.

The thought that the government would be monitoring my internet usage and could access it whenever they felt like, without a court order makes me particularly uneasy. We have far more liberal laws surrounding these issues in NZ thankfully, but I thought I’d put the message out here as I’m sure a few forumites would be interested in seeing what they have to say.

At the very least, you should check out the linked blog. It’s really very enlightening if you want to know how the NHS really looks like on the ground floor

Re: Bigger brother....?

Yeah, seems nurses and ambulance workers can't whistleblow on bad practice in the NHS for fear of being struck off.

Complaint forms a re ignored, so no one bothers to fill them in.

TRY TO KILL AS FEW PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE
    Last edited by Astro; 26th-April-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Thread Information