Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee Damange

Re: Knee Damange

If there is swelling, then RICE:- rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation,
    if its ligament it will probably do more harm as you will reduce blood flow to the ligament and the healing process will be reduced.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Just got back from hospital. Got to go back in 3 weeks for an MRI.

Doesn't seem a really bad injury. Feels alot better now but still can't bend my knee much and it pops almost every step. Have to use crutches.

Not allowed to dance for at least 3 weeks either until the scan.

Could have been worse though.

Cool Re: Knee Damange

Sorry to hear your knee's giving you jip Lee.

Ibuprofen is a very useful (and inexpensive) anti-inflammatory. It may make things a little more bearable if used in conjunction with resting it. Take a couple three times a day (with food or they can cause tummy upsets (if you have any form of tummy complaint, like an ulcer DO NOT take Ibuprofen).

Hope you're fighting fit again soon

This is really bad luck Lee. I think everyone here dreads having any sort of injury which keeps them off the dance floor for an extended period. Let's hope there is no lasting damage and that you can get back to dancing in a few weeks time.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post

Ibuprofen is a very useful (and inexpensive) anti-inflammatory. It may make things a little more bearable if used in conjunction with resting it. Take a couple three times a day (with food or they can cause tummy upsets (if you have any form of tummy complaint, like an ulcer DO NOT take Ibuprofen).
    Unofficially, Ibuprofen has been linked to cancer.

Also I found out yesterday that there's a link (unofficial or official ) between eating food cooked in allumnium pans and Alzheimers disease.

Stainless steel is the best, because there is also a cancer link with teflon coated type pans.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    (if you have any form of tummy complaint, like an ulcer DO NOT take Ibuprofen).
    I can't take any NSAIDS these days due to me developing tummy upsets. Doctor suspected if I didn't have an ulcer at that point I was very near to getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    cancer.

Alzheimers disease.
    I believe also that Life is a terminal disease.. I've yet to find anyone who survives it .. it's always terminal in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I believe also that Life is a terminal disease.. I've yet to find anyone who survives it .. it's always terminal in the end
    And it's sexually transmitted...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Just got back from hospital. Got to go back in 3 weeks for an MRI.

Doesn't seem a really bad injury. Feels alot better now but still can't bend my knee much and it pops almost every step. Have to use crutches.

Not allowed to dance for at least 3 weeks either until the scan.

Could have been worse though.
    Hi Lee, for any Ligament damage injuries like knee, back, elbow and back that feel like they won’t mend themselves within a week I would go and book an appointment with the best physiotherapist I could find in the area.

I hurt my knees about 2 years ago and the physio guy said taking ibuprofen wasn’t the best idea because it masks the pain too much and you might do more damage to it unknowingly. Also he reckoned it hampered the healing process.

He recommended that I should apply ice to my knees in two 15 minutes sessions each day and to my surprise it really helped and this was months after the actual injury accrued.

They aren’t cheep, £25 a session normally but it’s an investment when you think you spend 2 nights dancing a week = 2 * £5 = £520 a year + workshops + travel can easily get on for £1,000. Therefore £50-£100 just now on some physio advice which will be tailored to your unique circumstances is well worth paying.

So I’d do both private physio and hospital and in the mean time skip the pizza and enjoy the grapes, don’t want to be putting extra weight on that bad knee.

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    If there is swelling, then RICE:- rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation,
    if its ligament it will probably do more harm as you will reduce blood flow to the ligament and the healing process will be reduced.
    Yeah that’s what I always thought until I spoke to the physio...

They told me a load of stuff I can't remember but the jist of it was that icing an area made the body react to the cold and send more blood into that area once you had stopped icing but in other circumstances it's best to apply heat!

It's so confusing that’s it's best to put yourself into the hands of the professionals ASAP

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Had a few light dances last night and doesn't feel any better or worse for it.

Has been a week and not much change in how it feels. Will just have to wait for MRI to find out exactly what has happened.

I'm now in the same boat. Well, maybe the sunny side of the same boat. I twisted my knee playing football, and although it's load-bearing without any pain, I can't squat or dip on it at the moment. Going to do lot's of R.I.C.E this week!

Sorry to hear about your knee problems...these things can happen unxepectedly, the price we pay for being active...We all know what happens if we are inactive...

I guess the doctor did not prescribe a "Few Light dances" as part of your recovery... Your EGO got the better of you I guess.

If you try to dance on a swollen joint you can ONLY do it more harm than good and it will take longer to recover....

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    I'm now in the same boat. Well, maybe the sunny side of the same boat. I twisted my knee playing football, and although it's load-bearing without any pain, I can't squat or dip on it at the moment. Going to do lot's of R.I.C.E this week!
    how's yours going? Mine feels alot better at the mo. Is still niggling but will be back to teaching this week.

Im still not confidant on it but I reckon it will be alright soon.

I personally belive that with injurys, the body is not made to just 'rest' apart from the worst cases. I think light activity is of benifit. When we were hunters, if we just 'rested' a few weeks we would starve to death.

I personally belive that with injurys, the body is not made to just 'rest' apart from the worst cases. I think light activity is of benifit. When we were hunters, if we just 'rested' a few weeks we would starve to death.
    I injured my leg in November and took the same approach.... I ended up causing more damage and have taken 5 full months to recover If I'd sought proper advice and rested it properly in the first place, it would have been healed in a few weeks.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I injured my leg in November and took the same approach.... I ended up causing more damage and have taken 5 full months to recover If I'd sought proper advice and rested it properly in the first place, it would have been healed in a few weeks.
    It's all a bit different though if you are dancing for a living . I really don't think there is any major damage so as long as I only keep to the min I reckon i'll be alright

It's all a bit different though if you are dancing for a living .
    Yup, it's even more important for you to heal properly than it was for me

I really don't think there is any major damage so as long as I only keep to the min I reckon i'll be alright
    Hopefully you're right

Has been a week and not much change in how it feels. Will just have to wait for MRI to find out exactly what has happened.
    Here’s the problem with ligaments injuries around the knee:

Knees take incredible amount of stress, and the muscles and ligaments that support them are very strong to put up with all the abuse they take. That’s the good news.

The bad news is that they have a very high pain threshold. By that I mean that the point where something feels uncomfortable and the point that it fails at are very, very close. As you found out when your knee blew itself out the first time, damage seems to come on very suddenly without much warning. If you’re already carrying an injury it’s even worse, because if it’s feeling uncomfortable at all you’re almost certainly damaging it. Sadly, knees are also absolutely critical in getting around in our day-to-day lives, let alone allow us to work.

I should know – for about four years I ignored the niggling while kicking at my martial arts class, and spent literally all winter on each of those years limping because of it. Leg locks are so dangerous that we not only limit teaching them to senior students, we only use them on the same to limit the chance of accidental career ending damage.

Personally I’d take the sissy’s approach and bow out of the actual dancing as much as possible for longer than you feel you need to. I’ve been the hard man about it in the past and proven the old adage that wisdom is something you only get after you needed it.

how's yours going? Mine feels alot better at the mo. Is still niggling but will be back to teaching this week.

Im still not confidant on it but I reckon it will be alright soon.

Mine isn't too bad. Still feeling the occasional twinge, but I'm going to brave playing football this evening with a tubigrip on it.

By a Bizarre coincidence I damaged my knee on 20th April too.. Dislocated it.

To the extent it was sticking out sideways from my leg.. Ambulance took 1 & 1/2 hours to come while i lay in middle of dance class squealing like a baby. Eventually they pumped me full of Nitrous oxide & morphone and re-set it.. It's in a cast & I'm on crutches for two weeks.. after that 3-4 months of Physio.. Still not sure if I'll ever be back dancing MJ..

Thread Information