Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the novelty worn off

Has the novelty worn off

They may not be your favourite forumites but I have to say that every now and then there are certain people who are noticeable by their absence.
    You may not particularly agree with their opinions or their actions but they do add to the diverse nature of this forum
    I seem to recall the first person I actually noticed by their absence was Wittybird.
    I am sure we can all remember certain individuals but for me I wonder why certain forumites dont post as regular as they did -SilverFox,ESG (where the hell is he),Angelique,Dan Hudson even Alison(ZW)doesnt post as much these days.
    Now I seem to have noticed that DTS has not posted for some time.
    Or is it just me with nothing to with my spare time but visit this forum day in day out.

Re: Has the novelty worn off

I've noticed Andy McGregor's absence.

.... and not forgetting David Bailey's sabatical (probably why DTS is not posting much, he misses his idol)

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Dan Hudson has a job now that means he gets less time in the office, so i can assume he has less time to waste than the rest of us.

I dont post as much as i used to either but i think that is probably down to seeing people more often than i previously had and having conversation/discussions in person

I do believe DTS has a new job and is moving house so he probably doesn't have as much time on here, but he still posts?

Cool Re: Has the novelty worn off

I also think Facebook is now taking a lot of people's time. There's only so many surfing minutes to go around after all

I'm still here (some forumites may say that's unfortunate) but I don't dedicate as much time as I once did to the forum, but then since I don't dance as much as I once used to I do think it's slightly hypocritical of me tojoin in the majority of the discussions on here.

I also have a new life down here, Not getting home until later than I was in Aberdeen, and I have other interests now. But I still lurk and read and post occasionally. I did have a sabbatical from the forum a while back and I may well do again but i'm here for the "social" chatter above anything else.

I guess people do move on and get different interests. I was talking to a dear friend last night who was well known on the scene and who dances less often as they have other interests now. The fact I was "talking" to them on World of Warcraft is neither here nor there hehe

but of course, as Rocky would say I'm not that interesting so don't have that much to post about

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    I seem to recall the first person I actually noticed by their absence was Wittybird.
    I am sure we can all remember certain individuals but for me I wonder why certain forumites dont post as regular as they did -SilverFox,ESG (where the hell is he),Angelique,Dan Hudson even Alison(ZW)doesnt post as much these days.
    Now I seem to have noticed that DTS has not posted for some time.
    Or is it just me with nothing to with my spare time but visit this forum day in day out.
    Witty is still around, she posted on my charity dance thread a couple of weeks ago and was at Stokies. ESG is still photographing dancers, real ones though.(Ballroom) I saw Angelique on Sunday, busy running her pub still. Dan was at Rock Bottoms a few weeks ago, Alison and Vince were both at Hammersmith. I've spoken to (nearly) all of them in the last couple of weeks so they are all alive and well, no need to fret, they just got lives.

I think it is a combination of things:

As Stokie mentioned, there is a lot of activity on facebook and all the events are promoted on there, it also has the advantage of the instant chat if you want to get a quick answer and of course you can also play scrabble.

Secondly in some ways I think the forum mirrors dancing itself, there are many people I used to see all the time at dancing always seemed to be at the same venues that I went to and if you spoke to them they would have been to others in between, then they suddenly disappear and then maybe turn up 2 years later or just never see them again. Basically they find something else to fill their time.

Lastly I have spoken to some people who used to be on the forum but no longer use it and they have said they got fed up with the more negative elements that occasionally creep in.

I have really enjoyed some of the discussion in the threads and some of them have just been hilarious. Personally if it was not for the word game section I would probably not have spent as much time as I do on the forum but that has given me such a laugh that I look forward to playing, so thanks to all my fellow gamies

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    ESG is still photographing dancers, real ones though.(Ballroom)
    He also teaches on Tuesday nights.
    I've spoken to (nearly) all of them in the last couple of weeks so they are all alive and well, no need to fret, they just got lives.
    ..and we haven't?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    He also teaches on Tuesday nights.
    He used to teach on Thursday nights at Muswell Hill, but gave it up at christmas.
    ..and we haven't?
    Obviously not

He used to teach on Thursday nights at Muswell Hill,
    Oops I made a mistake. He also used to do Tuesdays at Golders Green.
    but gave it up at christmas.
    Really, I didn't know. Who teaches there now?

He's a fantastic ballroom dancer.
    Obviously not

... no need to fret, they just got lives.
    I'm sure there must have been a stall at one of those weekenders I missed.

Well pips I have started a temporary new job until all of me Police checks are ,then I start with the job I have been after for a while. Both of these jobs involve working with disabled people. Seeing what these people have to put up with every day kinds of puts all of the bitching and whinning in perspective, and to be honest, I just can not be bothered with the nasty side of the Forum, ergo I do not bother much now.

If you are healthy with all of your faculties working, what more do you need?

DTS XXX XXX

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I just can not be bothered with the nasty side of the Forum, ergo I do not bother

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    But what about your important work on the forum?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    But what about your important work on the forum?
    The forum stopped being "important" when DB was insulted

I could tolerate Franck opposing some of my posts as he is a guy who deserves respect. However, Rocky is another matter altogether and our chum w00dface has applied the last nail in the coffin - I don't want to be associated with him at all.

.. to quote a well-known fantasy story, "this is no longer my place"

Blog Entries

Blimey - i never knew the forum was supposed to be important??

LOL

Would ya get a grip.

The forum is for chat, gossip, updates, the occassional disagreement and more importantly seeing where people are going at weekends so i can choose to go or not to go.

Its nice to see reviews of places as well. If people choose to abandon it for other reasons then thats their choice but it would be a shame to loose something that does keep the normal people informed of dance news and realise its not to be taken seriously or in anyway personally. JEEZ.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    The forum is for chat, gossip, updates, the occassional disagreement and more importantly seeing where people are going at weekends so i can choose to go or not to go.
    Are you a Doctor? Huh? Are you a fit person to prescribe a dose of reality ?
    (and should we take this twice a day until the symptoms clear up?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Are you a Doctor? Huh? Are you a fit person to prescribe a dose of reality ?
    (and should we take this twice a day until the symptoms clear up?)
    yes i think everybody needs a reality check. Honestly, wots got into people.

And DS - just so you know, twice a day is a very healthy number x

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Blimey - i never knew the forum was supposed to be important??

LOL...
    I am taking this post as tongue-in-cheek, but also using it to once again state that this forum could make, or perhaps even has made, a major difference to the future of modern jive. History wil tell, but I think Franck is a contender for the MJ Hall of Fame. Just a few exchanges of ideas that each make the rate of growth increase by .5% over a few weeks could make MJ a major phenomenon.

It just needs a few more people to join each month, introduce a few more friends sooner and come back a few more times and the whole scene will double very quickly.

Thread Information