Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Profoundly disappointed and sad.

Re: Profoundly disappointed and sad.

The Guardian website now has a collection of about 8 clips showing police behaviour at various levels of shamefulness on the day in question.

One of the most egregious - to my mind, but then, I'm a lawyer and a believer in freedom of speech (which includes freedom of the press) - was a clip where a policeman cited section 14 Public Order Act to disperse a group of press and press photographers 'to allow us to resolve this problem' (meaning some of the demonstrators). The Met has already apologised for this mis-use of s.14, which is designed for controlling unruly and violent crowds, and not for bystanders and especially not for the press. In my view this is another matter on which - on this occasion - the officer who gave the order should be disciplined. It is our right to know how the police forces which we pay for provide the services that they are statutorily tasked with providing, and the press is one way (lamentably, an increasingly bad way, given how much more revealing has been ordinary cell-phone footage from the public) that that is achieved.

You can bet that the next time anything like this happens we are going to see or hear at least some reports of police trying to stop people carrying out filming.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

You can bet that the next time anything like this happens we are going to see or hear at least some reports of police trying to stop people carrying out filming.
    The police are covering their badge numbers to avoid being ID'd on film.

Nicky fisher has hired Max Clifford to sell her story - her assault by a police seargent (caught on public film). She is claiming compensation from the Met.

Other protesters who claim they were attacked are taking their cases to the IPCC. Among them is Islington councillor, Greg Foxsmith.

There is another protest on Saturday at the City of London Police HQ against police brutality.

Stephenson is reviewing police tactics and kettling.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Nicky fisher has hired Max Clifford to sell her story
    Beats working for a living (yes I have checked and yes she is unemployed, surprise, surprise)

Providing that there is a link between the assault and the death; it's important to note that that would be up to doctors to determine whether there was a link.
    So, the result of the 2nd postmortem is that the death was due to an abdominal hemorrhage, not heart failure.

Even though I've obviously been skeptical about the whole thing, I confess to being shocked at this point. I'm finding it very hard to see the first coronor's report as anything other than a whitewash. Particularly as even the first investigation found "a substantial amount of blood in the abdominal cavity".

But anyhow, yes, the officer is now under suspicion of manslaughter.

<Note: the following is sick, and bad, and wrong. But it did made me laugh>

Quote Originally Posted by BoingBoing commentator
    Police: "See, we told you we didn't cause this man to die from a heart attack. Vindicated!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Even though I've obviously been skeptical about the whole thing, I confess to being shocked at this point. I'm finding it very hard to see the first coronor's report as anything other than a whitewash. Particularly as even the first investigation found "a substantial amount of blood in the abdominal cavity".
    Seconded.

I saw something about the time I started the thread about this Patel bloke being of questionable competence - it seems that the second examiner was almost dismissive of the possibility of a heart attack, which certainly increases one's suspicions.

I saw something about the time I started the thread about this Patel bloke being of questionable competence - it seems that the second examiner was almost dismissive of the possibility of a heart attack, which certainly increases one's suspicions.
    Indecent haste was what I read at the time.

More news from the local rags -

City of London police jumped out of their van near The Bank of England on 1 April (Fools Day ) and left their van unlocked.

The officers came back to the van to find it cleared out.

10 £1,200 bags containing batobs, CS spray, helmets, sheilds and body armour was swiped.

Brainless bullies?

Also the IPCC has said that the police should not have removed ID numbers or covered their faces.

I still think the british police are veritable angels compared to police abroad, but they will go like the rest if not kept under control.

Blog Entries

a bit late, but how about this for a practical joke...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    a bit late, but how about this for a practical joke...
    probably safer than the "I'm a Brazilian Electrician" one
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 21st-April-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

"I know what you're thinking: did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself but, being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, you've got to ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky? Well, do you punk?"

"Look officer, I'm not even a protester, I'm just trying to get to Tesco for a sandwich."

The policeman accused of manslaughter's lawyer has called for a third autopsy.

Quite right too.

If he comes up with a third COD, we are in for one giant clusterf*ck.

couldnt be bothered to read the rest of this thread so i dont know if anyone has posted this yet but it made me smile

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quite right too.

If he comes up with a third COD, we are in for one giant clusterf*ck.
    especialy if COD is "autopsy"

The police are spending tax payer's money, time and resources working for multi national companies.

First we found out about Eon.

Now it's BAA

Matilda Gifford, who belongs to Plane Stupid tells that the Strathclyde Police tried to recruit her as an informer.

She was arrested for demonstrating at Glasgow Airport, but not charged.

Police asked if she could spare 20 minutes for a chat when they finally gave her back her house keys.

She taped the conversations. Her lawyer contacted the police station in Glasgow where the first interviw took place, but the two men are not on the police roll there.

They offered money cash in hand, tax free....very black market , but they do work for the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    especialy if COD is "autopsy"
    sounds a bit fishy to me

Tourists (father and son from Austria) were taking photos of Walthamstow Bus Station when 2 police officers approached and told them to stop.

Their film was confiscated and so they had no holiday snaps.

The father said he's never experienced suchlike before even in communist states. He added that they would not return to the UK.

The police were acting under the Anti Terriorist Laws.

So be careful if you photo any transport systems.

Oh yes, so on Saturday, I think it was, some friends off mine joined a group of protesters who went to the bus station and took some photgraphs.

Passed without incident.
    Last edited by Astro; 26th-April-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The police were acting under the Anti Terriorist Laws.
    I think you mean "abusing" anti-terror laws

I watched the parliametary sub-commitee's examination of the senior policeman and the head of the IPCC on On-demand last night.

The sub-commitee included the Liberal MP Tom Baker and a serving special constable.

All agreed that the hiding of police numbers was unacceptable. (One member of the sub-commitee made the point that the numbers were part of their uniform, and that the police would not be allowed on duty lacking other parts of their uniform, e.g. their trousers.)

The head of the IPCC said that the "No CCTV" comment was entirely his error, he had misunderstood his briefing.

The severity of the policing was ascribed to very strong intelligence that sections of the demonstrators were planning extensive damage to property, and there being significant danger to the public as a result. The much looser policing of the Tamil demonstrations was ascribed to there being no indications of criminal behaviour being planned.

The point was made that the police have the right to use reasonable and proportionate amounts of force in the course of duty. It was not right that they should be trained and instructed to use such force only for those that had sanctioned it to hide away when it looks ugly. The danger of judging by snapshots was frequently mentioned.

There were 40 officers, from 120 available, investigating matters.

were taking photos of Walthamstow Bus Station...so they had no holiday snaps.
    Bummer...I don't know how I'd cope without my snaps of Walthamstow Bus Station.

Thread Information