Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Profoundly disappointed and sad.

Re: Profoundly disappointed and sad.

The other interesting aspect is that the police officer who was involved (PC Simon Harwood) left the Met 10 years ago after a road rage incident (he didn't face misconduct charges because he retired at that time on medical grounds). He then got a job with Surrey police where he was accused of using excessive force. And he later worked his way back into the Met.

Again, the police don't come out of this very well. I'm not sure that in this case that "no stone was left unturned" and that "all avenues were explored" in the investigation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...inquiries.html

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I'm not sure about private prosecutions generally - and something paid-for by the media feels like a bit of a lynching, you know?
    Wasn't actually meaning the media should pay for it - just that there were a lot of people saying they'd contribute.

Yes... I never thought about it that way. That's the logical conclusion of their argument, isn't it?
    Hard to see what the point of the additional tests was, isn't it? Although if you see my erratum, the extra tests weren't the reason things got delayed past 6 months.

Am I right in thinking several people have already been charged for 'abetting' in the Moat case? And investigations 20 years after the event in the case of PC Blakelock's death. It is very very obvious this would have gone down differently if the roles were reversed.

Also interesting to find the the CPS lawyer who decided not to prosecute is the same one who decided not to prosecute anyone in the de Menzies case. Political tin-ear, or an active intent to make it clear that "we have a system in place to take care of our own"?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I'm not sure about private prosecutions generally - and something paid-for by the media feels like a bit of a lynching, you know?
    Surely a mob taking him to London Bridge and hanging him form his neck would feel like a lynching??

Being brought in front of a court of law would seem a teensy weensy little less drastic, somehow...

Commentary in one of the newspapers - just hit the wires:

"The police have a very serious PR problem that threatens to damage their ability to operate effectively. They are seen as reluctant to attend scenes of all but the most serious crimes, as PC zealots harassing Christians, as persecutors of motorists and as paper-shufflers when they should be walking the beat. Much of the grotesque attempt to convert Raoul Moat into a hero came from the criminal fraternity; but not all of it. Dislike of the police has now spread far beyond the traditional areas of criminal alienation and into the wider community.
    In that context, the decision to press no charges of any kind against a police officer whom the entire nation has watched behaving in a manner that, at best, can only be described as dubious is inflammatory. It reawakens memories of the case of Jean-Charles de Menezes and other police blunders. A generation ago, public horror of violence against the police was dramatically expressed in the film “The Blue Lamp”. We have gone from that sentiment to Facebook tributes to Raoul Moat. Some of that reflects a degeneration in public morality; but some of it is due to a deterioration in the quality of the police."

I wonder if any of this will change the CPS decision?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    I wonder if any of this will change the CPS decision?
    There was a programme on Radio 4 last week about this - all very depressing stuff. Not simply about Patel (although clearly he was a problem in himself), but about the lack of any process to check that the pathologists selected actually met the minimum quality guidelines. He should never have been selected, in other words.

Combined with the fact that he can apparently re-write reports a year later, to better fit his account, and that he made a serious cockup with the Camden Ripper, which allowed the Ripper to kill 2 other women before being caught... the whole thing's incredibly depresssing.

Oh yes, and the CPS haven't covered themselves in glory either.

So now, I'm wondering if there should be a private prosecution...

I was going to try and give the highlights of today's coverage of the inquest from the Guardian, but in fact almost every paragraph is a highlight. I recommend you read the lot.

But for a taster:

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    Questioned by the assistant deputy coroner, Judge Peter Thornton QC, Harwood has accepted that the account of events he put in his notebook two weeks after the protests was incorrect.

Harwood: At the time I wrote this, I thought I fell to the floor.
    Thornton: Do you now accept that this is not correct?
    Harwood: Yes
    Thornton: That you lost your baton – that is not correct?
    Thornton: That you received a blow to the head – that is not correct?
    Thornton: And that there were violent and dangerous confrontations – that is not correct?
    Harwood: Yes.
    Thornton: And you were struck by a missile – that is not correct?
    Harwood: Yes.

Commercial Operator

Thanks, David. It just leaves U sick to the pit of your stomach...

Haven't seen much of it on the news, funnily enough...

Thread Information