Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Parky right?

Re: Is Parky right?

I think that Parky was right in saying that her life and death highlight something deeply unattractive about our society, although I don't think that it's necessarily a new phenomenon, just displaying itself in different ways, as DS has perspicaciously identified

I do think that there is a difference with Princess Di and saints though - people felt an emotional bond with Diana and admired her charity work, and they aspired to be as virtuous as saints. Anyone who felt any kind of bond with Jade Goody probably needs locked up (and funnily enough......). And she wasn't really a role model, except perhaps for the way she worked so hard and cleverly to buy a future for her sons.
    Last edited by Graham; 15th-April-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    And she wasn't really a role model, except perhaps for the way she worked so hard and cleverly to buy a future for her sons.
    I think the slimeball that is Clifford can take most of the credit for that.

Cool Re: Is Parky right?

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    I think the slimeball that is Clifford can take most of the credit for that.
    I think the slimeball that is Clifford can take 10% of everything for that.

respect to the slime ball - he's very good at what he does.

Of course Parky was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Yes, although I did get the sense of a significant change in behaviour once she found out that she was going to die.

She, at least died with a little more dignity than she lived, and so, I respect how she died, but not how she lived.

Having lived about 30 seconds away from her salon in Hertford (ironically named Ugly's) I had the misfortune to meet her. She was an obnoxious little so-and-so. She walked round a corner and straight into me, swore at me and then walked off as if she owned the place.

She did well to get more women to get checked out, but I have no personal respect for her alive or dead.

Ross Noble said it best at a recent stand up gig: "Jade did a wonderful thing getting more women to get themselves checked out. But essentially she was an utter waste of skin. How can someone so utterly thick do something so beautiful? I can't get my head round it. It's like finding out that Timmy Mallett's tears cure AIDS."

Would appear that "we" are all of the opinion that this is all a sad reflection of today's society and agree that the celebrity culture is greatly to blame. But that culture is fuelled by trashy mags full of the latest celebrity gossip, diets, relationships, eating disorders and by awful reality tv programmes manipulating sad saps who are too niaive to realise what they're getting involved in.

But who is buying these magazines and watching these programmes, perpetuating their publication and broadcast?!

I want my news to be factual, concise and to the point so I check reliable sourcs (BBC or Reuters) online. I gave up reading newspapers several years ago cos I couldn't find one that just had news in it, and I've even stopped watching tv news in the last year or two cos its going the same way. It's not news, its gossip, lies and trash and quite frankly, who cares?!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    "Jade represents a wretched Britain".

Parky has said that whilst its sad that she died, its no more sad than any other young person dying so young and she is by no means to be compared to a saint or Princess Diana.
    I agree with his first point, but I disagree with his second.

It baffles me how a loud-mouthed, unpleasant, racist bully like Jade Goody could ever have become a celebrity, especially considering that she was essentially famous for doing nothing other than being thick and racist.

Comparisons with Diana are valid, though - both were attention junkies who milked the media to get what they craved, and the deaths of both inspired a completely OTT public reaction (though the reaction to Diana's death and the public hysteria that ensued were of a much higher magnitude).

Thread Information