Thread: Help with building a computer

Help with building a computer

I've collected various computer bits for a while and now finally taking the plunge to see if I can build one
    I'm using a 6VX-133 motherboard with a Pentium III as a start point, and added a CDROM, 31/4 floppy and a 20gig hard drive (which has Windows 98 (SE) loaded onto it), with 128Mhz/133 RAM, wired it all up and switched it on. It goes through all the usual set-up stuff you get when you start, and then it says 'No system disc (or boot-up - can't remember which) Please insert system disc and press 'enter''

SO after using assorted discs including various WIndows 98 'Start-up' discs, DOS etc. nothing alters and I still get the same message. I've loaded an old version of DOS 5.0 that I have hanging around which at least gives me a prompt, but won't recognise a 'C' Drive (At least it proves drive 'A' is working!)

So over to you good people - any suggestions. As you have probably gathered my IT knowledge is limited, although not totally non-existant, but I don't mind experimenting. Can anyone suggest a way of progressing and what system disc I need to start (I would have thought the hard disc would have one pre-loaded!)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cool Re: Help with building a computer

I would be inclined to re-install Windows from CD-ROM onto your hard disk drive. Also make sure that the hard disk drive you are using has its jumpers set to make it the master drive and that the IDE cable that links it to the motherboard is plugged into the primary IDE socket on the motherboard. If it's sharing the same IDE cable as the CD-ROM drive I would use a cable for each. Primary IDE to the HDD and the secondary IDE feeding the CD-ROM.

If all else fails do you have a spare HDD that you could use to rule out problems with the HDD you're trying to use.

I doesn't sound like you're too far from having a working computer there. If I think of anything else....
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 7th-April-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: I'll have an 'e' please Bob!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Help with building a computer

You can get the manual for your motherboard here - not to mention any bios updates (check your full motherboard ID, you say it's a p3 so it may be socket 370 or the stupidly designed socket 1 ). This will help you get into the bios and understand it. First check is if the HD is detected by the motherboard at all - the bios will tell you...

once the bios sees the HD - you may need to use fdisk if its not bootable, but your post suggest it should be. Don't bother replacing windows if it does work - win98 is not overly bothered about completely changed hardware, its still far from a sensible operating system but its nowhere near as bad as XP (i.e. You have moved one of the cables inside...ABROT ABORT ! KILL KILL!)

that'll do for now, its all about learning what to do yourself isn't it

The first thing to do is see what boot up options are set in the Bios.

You can download the manual from here, under support and legacy

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1523

Get into the Bios and see what boot up device options are set. You want drive C as the first boot device.

Opps late - got collared to fix a chair between starting and now

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The first thing to do is see what boot up options are set in the Bios.

You can download the manual from here, under support and legacy

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1523

Get into the Bios and see what boot up device options are set. You want drive C as the first boot device.

Opps late - got collared to fix a chair between starting and now
    ooooh its so annoying when people have already said what you're going to say sorry bigd (dont give him too much info though, make him work for it)

Hmmm...it's been a few years since I was in this game, so my memory is full of static , but....

It sounds to me, as though the BIOS hasn't recognised your hard disk yet.

Check the motherboard manual for details on how to enter BIOS setup, and subsequently hard disk detection/setup (assuming you have the hdd wired up correctly as SB mentioned above).

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    ooooh its so annoying when people have already said what you're going to say
    Isn't it just!

Bugger! Ignore my post JJ - been beaten to it (plus his is more explanitory)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    (dont give him too much info though, make him work for it)
    You're a moderator on a Linux forum, aren't you?

The Oracle

A bit more about Master/Slave IDE devices:

An IDE cable usually has 3 sockets - one for the motherboard, and the other two for connecting to two devices. One of these devices is the master, and the other the slave. The IDE interface won't work with two masters, or two slaves.

The old way of setting the master/slave was to set the jumpers on the back of the device. There is usually a diagram on the disk housing that indicates how they should be set.

The more modern way is to use 'cable select', where one of the two device sockets on the cable is labelled master, and the other slave. However you usually still have to set the jumper on the device to indicate that you are using cable select, and you have to make sure you are using a suitable cable.

If you only have one device connected to an IDE cable, then you should set it to master.

Also the cables are not that robust - especially the old ribbon cables. If you have a spare cable, then I'd try using it. I'd also just try connecting the hard disk, and leave the CD ROM out until you get the disk working.

Thanks very much for all the info. I have already downloaded a copy of the manual - a lot of it is double dutch, but I think if I take on board some of your suggestions and try to work through it from basics I might get something to work.
    I was 'playing' about with it yesterday and I now have a 'Keyboard Locked' message upon start-up to add to my frustration, so I'm hoping thats just temporary (unless any of you have a definative answer) meanwhile thanks again for all your help

Is 'Keyboard Locked' the exact message you get? (A quick Google found people with 'Keyboard is locked out - Unlock the key' messages, but not with 'Keyboard Locked').

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Is 'Keyboard Locked' the exact message you get? (A quick Google found people with 'Keyboard is locked out - Unlock the key' messages, but not with 'Keyboard Locked').

Yes sorry the exact message is the one you found on google 'Keyboard Locked out.. unlock the key'

DO you know what it means - any help would be appreciated, thanks

Once you get past your keyboard and HD problems you should wipe the hard disk and install a proper operating system like Linux/Fedora (it's free)

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    Yes sorry the exact message is the one you found on google 'Keyboard Locked out.. unlock the key'

DO you know what it means - any help would be appreciated, thanks
    Not really I'm afraid. Common suggestions: reseat the keyboard connection, try a different keyboard, try resetting the bios.

As a general comment: if you have want help with computer problems, it's important to give the exact error message. If you give something that's only "approximately" right, the solution's not going to come up on search engines. This is particularly important with older hardware, because very few people will be able to give direct help - even if they have that motherboard (unlikely), the last time they had to adjust anything was probably 5 years ago. So it all comes down to searching the archives and support groups.

I did a google serach and found this :-
    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-924.html

Which basically said...
    Yes, that's the keylock. It locks access to the keyboard for security reasons, such as in a business environment where someone else might be able to access the computer when the user is away.

You might have to check inside the case, the keylock should have 2 wires running to a jumper on the motherboard. If it is disconnected, reconnect it. Some systems use a 5 pin plug that holds the wires for the power on LED as well.

Also see if you can find a jumper, computer shops should have plenty lying around. Try it with a jumper on, and with a jumper off, one of the two should allow access to the keyboard. Often the proper jumper is marked, sometimes it's not, so you might need a motherboard manual to identify it.

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    Try it with a jumper on, and with a jumper off, one of the two should allow access to the keyboard.
    if you get too hot try it with just a T-shirt but if you're too cold try it with a Jumper and a fleece.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    if you get too hot try it with just a T-shirt but if you're too cold try it with a Jumper and a fleece.
    stop trying to impress the non-geeks with your non-geekiness - no one is convinced

Thread Information