View Poll Results: How do you like your showcases?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Improvised

4 28.57%
  • Planned

7 50.00%
  • Don't care

1 7.14%
  • I do care but don't have a strong preference

2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Planned OR Improv

Planned OR Improv

There have been plenty of dance videos over the years posted on this forum. Many thanks youtube. Some I really like and others not so much.

With respect to everyone's different tastes in dance and music I wanted to create a poll of what people prefer.

Improvised showcase - Spur of the moment

Planned - Every little detail thought out to the nth degree

Don't Care - Depends on the dancers mood, feel for that track/partner

An example of each:

Improv:

Planned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=MJS4QdvoDcM

I am sure there are better and worse examples of each. These were the ones posted on this forum that prompted this thread for me.

Someone, please add the poll bit.

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Planned OR Improv

Poll added.

Incidentally there's nothing to stop you or anyone else adding your own poll when you start a thread like this. You tick the "Yes, post a poll with this thread" box when you start the thread. It then takes you to another screen when you can add the options you want.
    Love dance, will travel

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Not sure which one i prefer.

There is something really fascinating about watching two fab dancers partner up and dance their socks off. Watching the way they connect and seeing, although unrehearsed, how fab it can look when lead and follow is actually key to the performance!

On the other hand i have massive amounts of respect for those people who put hours and hours into putting together a show case where they can really use every beat of the music to the max! I love watching the showcases at all the weekender/competitions i go to, they are really a true representation of the hard work people put into becoming good dancers/performers.

So as it stands i am going to sit on the fence with this one! But i am not going to vote as i actually care but not sure which way!

In an ideal world I'd like to see a bit of both. Yes, I love the planned showcases as you often get the really spectacular moves, but improvised lets the normal punter see what they can aspire to without having to get to showcase standard. I'm more inclined to wish for an improvised routine for non-MJ showcases - although did enjoy watching Clint & Emma last year at one of the weekenders.

At Blush I was quite disappointed that Brent & Kellese only did their routine for the cabaret, rather than also including a short improvised piece.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    ... improvised lets the normal punter see what they can aspire to without having to get to showcase standard...
    I think it is the other way about. If I see a choreographed routine which does not outstrip my physical limits I sort of get the feeling that if I tried hard enough for long enough I could come close to copying that.

The truly amazing dances I have seen have been improvised. The ability to come up with that choreography as the music plays has seemed to be unattainable not just for me, but for anybody. If I had not seen I would not have believed.

The same holds for the world outside dance, people will sometimes come up with the most amazing reactions to situations.

Having just watched that Geordied posted on the youtube thread I have to say I get most inspiration from watching improvisation (especially WCS)

Commercial Operator

Impossible to say. Improvised dancing can give some wonderful spontaneous moments that you're far less likely to see in a choreography. A choreography can bring a level of polish that you're far less likely to see in an improvisation, together with moves / moments that simply cannot be led without some degree of planning.

They're very different animals, and hard to compare. Of my all-time favourite dances that I've seen, I'd say that the majority were probably choreographies, but I couldn't say for sure.

I've seen some nice showcases that have certain sections choreographed out but use freestyle dancing between.

Thread Information