Thread: Can anyone help AussieJ in getting to the WCS Champs @ Weston (17-19 April)?

Can anyone help AussieJ in getting to the WCS Champs @ Weston (17-19 April)?

Thanks to Mary and Rhythm King, I've made up my mind - I want to attend the UK WCS Champs @ Weston-super-mare!

I now need to figure out the most cost-effective and/or practical options for these two things:

a) Transport - I'm in Glasgow. Weston-super-mare is in Somerset. That much I figured out

Are there any forumites in Scotland who are attending the WCS champs that might be able to give me a lift down to Weston-super-mare??

OR, another possibility that seems vaguely practical, would be for me to fly from Glasgow to a major city near Weston - Bristol? - and then take a coach or train to Weston?

b) Accommodation - I've had a brief foray into this, for one thing Weston isn't listed at hostelworld.com Anyway, what I got so far...

Mary listed Premier Inn, will look at it more closely.

Someone else mentioned they're staying at York hotel, £35 per night incl. breakfast

Smiths has a few WCSers staying in it, £70 for 2 nights B&B (£90 for 3 nights)

Any suggestions, advice, referrals to a friend, anything on cost-effective options for both transport and accommodation would be greatly appreciated!

AussieJ
    Last edited by AussieJ; 4th-April-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Re: Can anyone help AussieJ in getting to the WCS Champs @ Weston (17-19 April)?

In your situation I would look for a flight to Bristol and then train/coach to Weston (pretty frequent service from Bristol I think)

Smiths is sold out I believe though heard that from another dancer not the venue itself. There's loads of accomodation nr the venue itself so just make your choice based on price or convenience or whatever matters most to you. Try and get in somewhere with other dancers so you can walk to and fro in a group - Weston late at night isn't the most hospitable place

Re: Can anyone help AussieJ in getting to the WCS Champs @ Weston (17-19 April)?

robd I think you're pretty much right on all counts.

Rang Smiths today, they had no rooms available as you said. I think I'll be at York Hotel, there's at least 2 people I know who'll be there.

Train seems prohibitively expensive, coach journey durations are excessively long for my taste, so I will look to book a flight.

Will update this again once I'm fully confirmed on all fronts, cheers for your post robd!

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Try and get in somewhere with other dancers so you can walk to and fro in a group - Weston late at night isn't the most hospitable place
    Has Jeffrey Archer moved back?

I'm all sorted out now!

The only thing I haven't confirmed at this stage, is how exactly I get myself from Bristol to Weston-super-mare upon my 10am arrival at Bristol Airport - and vice versa on the Monday going back to Glasgow. As others have pointed out, Its either coach or train, hopefully it'll be relatively straightforward despite my never having visited Bristol before(!).

Apart from that, I got my flight booked in, and my hotel accommodations confirmed. Yay!

Thread Information