Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oxygen Thieves!

Re: Oxygen Thieves!

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    Have you done any time in uniform (military or police)

I served in the Army, you know, a proper soldier.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Come on DT, some of the bank employees are pretty distasteful. [/SIZE][/I][/B]
    Err, come on AS, one of those employess happened to be my daughter, who has worked extremely hard, to get a good job, with good pay!

She had to go to work yesterday, dressed in jeans and a casual top, for fear of being attacked! Just, cos she worked in the area!

Personally, I find that rather discusting!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I served in the Army, you know, a proper soldier.
    I could say well balanced then, chips on both shoulders. However, such a sweeping generalisation would be about as insightful as your thoughts on the Police and I have no need to go rubbishing any particular uniformed service in such a broad fashion. You are of course entitled to your opinion but I suggest that it does huge disservice to a great many in the police.

Of course, not serving in the Army I get my views 2nd hand from many long discussions between my uncle while he was in the Met, my cousin who still serves in the Royal Engineers and me while I was still serving. Beers were also normally present and typically we'd all be in a good mood to put the world to rights probably just after watching someone beat Scotland at rugby.

My uncle did 22 years in the Army, almost all of it with 1 and 3 Para where he finished as a WO1 in 1983. I remember him telling me how he had to argue his case to go down South for the Falklands since with less than a year's service left he had been placed in a QM role. His argument at the time was that the Falklands would have been the first 'proper soldiering' that anyone in the Army had done since Aden in '67 and after 15 years of training he wanted to use it.

From 3 Para, this same uncle traded uniforms then and went from being a WO1 to the Met, ending up as one of the squad leaders in their tactical firearms unit. Having experienced life in both sets of uniforms he didn't seem to think that the Police was a soft option. But what did he know, he only served in Aden, 6 tours in NI, oh and then that little affair down the Falklands. He seemed to believe that the riots he ended up policing in London were as challenging professionally as anything he'd done before.

I prefer his insight to yours...........

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Err, come on AS, one of those employess happened to be my daughter, who has worked extremely hard, to get a good job, with good pay!

She had to go to work yesterday, dressed in jeans and a casual top, for fear of being attacked! Just, cos she worked in the area!

No argument, I don't condone mob rule. I was in London myself for a customer meeting and had to dress in jeans and leave my laptop in the house too. I don't like my ability to move freely to be restricted because of anyone and the scenes of the destruction of the RBS branch annoyed me intensely.

Lots of people in the banks do a good honest job, including several of my friends. But the kind of arrogance that would have some of these city workers waving wads of cash like some exaggerated Harry Enfield character does nothing to persuade me that the plonkers that got all of us into the credit crunch and the biggest losses in UK corporate history have learned their lesson yet either.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

No argument, I don't condone mob rule. I was in London myself for a customer meeting and had to dress in jeans and leave my laptop in the house too. I don't like my ability to move freely to be restricted because of anyone and the scenes of the destruction of the RBS branch annoyed me intensely.
    Lots of people in the banks do a good honest job, including several of my friends. But the kind of arrogance that would have some of these city workers waving wads of cash like some exaggerated Harry Enfield character does nothing to persuade me that the plonkers that got all of us into the credit crunch and the biggest losses in UK corporate history have learned their lesson yet either.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance
    The police wouldn't be too happy with that either - that's inciting violence!

BTW, the red stuff on the "injured" policeman was red dye, whereas some of the protesters were bleeding real blood.

Obama Barack is on TV answering questions from an audience at Strasbourg.

He is saying that the bankers have been reckless, and it should never be allowed to happen again.

Who says that these thousands of protesters were all hippies and unemployed? Daily Mail, Daily Express?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    The police wouldn't be too happy with that either - that's inciting violence!
    No it isn't , it's "waving money out a window". It'll be up to the courts to prove any sort of incitement, which I'm sure they would manage to prove far more easily with some of the "hippies" who were destroying property and encouraging others to do the same.

BTW, the red stuff on the "injured" policeman was red dye, whereas some of the protesters were bleeding real blood.
    Really real blood? Not fake pigs blood And, good point, if you are not bleeding, you can't be injured! The quote marks are all the proof I needed

Obama Barack is on TV answering questions from an audience at Strasbourg.
    Are you chinese? We tend to state our surnames last over here.

He is saying that the bankers have been reckless, and it should never be allowed to happen again.
    So am I. But at least I wasn't complicit in letting it happen in the first place. Yes he's new, it would NEVER have happened in his government, right ?

Who says that these thousands of protesters were all hippies and unemployed? Daily Mail, Daily Express?
    Double Trouble. So it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Double Trouble. So it must be true.
    *sigh*, I love the way I get blamed for everything around here...if you wouldn't mind reading my posts properly please.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I wouldn't mind but it's the first time some of them have got up out of bed before midday this year as most of them would still be sleeping in their crusty sheets dreaming about pot noodles until 3pm.
    I have no problem with folk protesting, it's the ones that just turn up to smash windows and throw bottles at the police, cos they have absolutely nothing better to do with their lives, that fek me off.
    The problem with twats like the hippy you mention above is that it undermines the real protesters who are there and who have a genuine reason to protest.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

...if you wouldn't mind reading my posts properly please.
    Well I would mind, so I won't And what do you mean by they only ate pot noodles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

Fear isn't always justified - that someone fears cannot always be laid at the door of another party.

http://thelawwestofealingbroadway.bl...e-of-this.html

Following this link from 'The magistrates blog', I'm wondering if any actual danger came more from the police than any other party.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Fear isn't always justified - that someone fears cannot always be laid at the door of another party.

http://thelawwestofealingbroadway.bl...e-of-this.html

Following this link from 'The magistrates blog', I'm wondering if any actual danger came more from the police than any other party.
    Why did the police want to push the crowd back? It was a peaceful demonstration.

It says in the text beneath the video that nearly every one of the Justice Committee's recomendations for policing protests were broken.

Thread Information