Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ban violent games

Re: ban violent games

Quote Originally Posted by knightengale View Post
    Yeah they are making a game for the wii too.. Where you have to play the Goat
    Cool !! sign me up !!

Have to say this whole idea of banning something because it might encourage people with psychological issues to imitate them is ridiculous.

So some future power bans violent games.. fine.. then what? Violent movies? That seems a logical step. Ok So ban SAW and HOSTEL type movies (well I actually agree with that.. but only on the grounds that we have enough cr@p out there already) but then what? The Bourne series? people get killed? That's a violent thing .. to be killed and all. Add them to the list. Ah and Del Toro's pan's labyrinth ? an art house film?? no no.. it's exceedingly violent toss it on the burn pile too. Tom and Jerry cartoons? Destroy the lot of them!

What about violent music? Rap? Scrap! Punk? Junk ! Anything faster than a slow waltz.. shred it !! and outlaw dancing while you're at it ! Anything that raises the heart rate and gets people excited.. ban it. oh and put extra money into the test tube baby industry.. we'll have to ban You-Know-What as well. At least it'll curb population growth.

Filter the internet. screen it for violent images and posts. Sorry but these "smileys" have to go .. far too violent and angry!

lets start pumping emotion restricting chemicals into the water system cant have any rogue emotions cropping up and spoiling our "Utopia"

i say this was identical to the script of the film "Equilibrium".. except we banned that years ago for being too violent as well.

nope that's not a future I want.. I'm quite happy slaying Gnomes and Elves and have no urge to run around the streets of London with my pet killing everyone in sight... (besides, do you have ANY idea how difficult it is to train a dinosaur these days? the bleeders are hiding somewhere!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The thing i don't get is all this talk about banning games. Why can't they be treated like movies. An 18 game is only for 18 years old +. With the real decision / Responsiblity being for the parents to decided if they want there child to play a game can clearly says 18 +
    Agreed. I have recently spoken to the BBFC (i was at a "masterclass"), and they do not take banning lightly. The recent game "Manhunter" was banned due to extreme sadistic violence. I think this is fair enough, there will always be things that go too far , some things may eventually reach the level of legal obscenity. Ultimately though, as mature adults we can decide on our own entertainment within such laws. Children are obviously subject to what we deem appropriate with film, tv or video games. A mature application of ratings, as supplied by the bbfc, allows for parents to easily judge. My issue is that BBFC ratings for games are not taken seriously enough by adults. Too often I hear "but its just a game" or "other kids have it" from parents/grandparents as if that is an excuse. They generally wouldnt say that for "The Evil Dead", "Saw", "Hostel" or some other horror film on DVD - but their ignorance of technology is often the cause of a lot of this uproar. Sometimes, like in America with Grand Theft Auto 3, they even complain when they themselves have ignored the game rating. Its not "my fault" therefore I will sue .

The same "oh it must be ok because..." attitude, is true for cartoons. Older people (50+) are often astounded* that cartoons can be innapropriate e.g. South Park and Family Guy. The time these programmes are on is a clue, which admitedly is clouded somewhat by the sale of toys clearly aimed at children i.e. south park.

*nothing like a good generalisation is there**

** that was nothing like a good generalisation

If people where never violent before computer games then this cop would have a point.. Crime and violence are part of what we are as people. Computer games are not part of that. As if X number of millions of people play a game then the crazy people will be part of that millions of people . It's the same as the argument about rock and roll, then heavy metal.... Pointless and just a cause of not wanting to take a look at the fact that humans are volient with most of us being smart enough to not kill etc..
    Its a natural reaction to look to lay blame for the evil things humans do and try to get that "thing", whatever it is, banned. We can take this sort of thing too far - on the one hand, encouraging people to wear seatbelts in cars is a good idea, it provably can be the difference between life and death, but banning all films with violent content is a step too far. It may feel like a positive step to ban a violent game that a serial killer regularly played, but its a knee jerk reaction, no one really believes that the existence of serial killers is subject to the existence of games. Serial Killers will be too busy killing people to wonder that they no longer have violent games to play or dvds to watch

Roll on 10 years from now when games will not be the escape goat....
    Indeed, this generation has a better idea about the gaming medium and will likely pay attention to ratings when it comes to their own children.

Cool Re: ban violent games

Yeah they are making a game for the wii too.. Where you have to play the Goat
    Is it being written by Jeff Minter?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Is it being written by Jeff Minter?
    baaa baaaa baaaa

The thing i don't get is all this talk about banining games. Why can't they be treated like movies. An 18 game is only for 18 years old +. With the real decision / Responsiblity being for the parents to decided if they want there child to play a game can clearly says 18 +
    The UK actually does make it illegal to sell BBFC rated games to people under the age rating (the ELSPA rating isn't legally enforceable but any game with a realistic portrayal of violence falls under the BBFC to rate). All three current generation consoles have parental controls that can stop content over a specific rating from being played. Of course kids probably know more about it than most parents do.

As the ratings are rather easy to spot on a game.. So why can't shops and parents notice it
    I think a lot of parents still perceive video games as toys; they don't see GTA as on the same level as an 18 rated movie, for example, so they are willing to buy it for their child.

Anyway this is all about kids which is a bit off topic to the central discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    The UK actually does make it illegal to sell BBFC rated games to people under the age rating (the ELSPA rating isn't legally enforceable but any game with a realistic portrayal of violence falls under the BBFC to rate).
    I didn't know that the ELSPA rating system wasn't legally enforceable. I't s a bit pointless that it's not i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    I think a lot of parents still perceive video games as toys; they don't see GTA as on the same level as an 18 rated movie, for example, so they are willing to buy it for their child.
    I guess it's cause games industry is still a young medium. As its only really been around for 30 years (i think lol). And when you compare that to the movie industry etc. it's still a long way off to be viewed as an equal.

It should also be taken into account how quick the games industry has changed in 30 years. Far faster than the movie industry did in teh same time line which has also been faster than the view of the industry...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I didn't know that the ELSPA rating system wasn't legally enforceable. I't s a bit pointless that it's not i guess.
    But the BBFC rating IS enforceable.

I guess it's cause games industry is still a young medium. As its only really been around for 30 years (i think lol). And when you compare that to the movie industry etc. it's still a long way off to be viewed as an equal.
    The home gaming medium is older than the home film medium, but because it was never regulated in the early days (did it need to be with 80's computer graphics?) and was the domain of children, that opinion has not really changed in the public's eyes. With films, well the 80's was the time of the video nasty and heavy regulation so we are used to it and used to paying attention to the ratings.

The big issue is Granny wouldn't buy the film "Saw 4" for her grandson but would buy "GTA4" as its "just a game". Some education is needed, most of it "could" come from the shops, but we have the added problem of non-face to face internet purchases. If you try and buy GTA IV from, for example, gameplay.co.uk, you are NOT told its an 18 certificate, you may not notice the little 18 logo on the box graphic before you click "buy", and that's it...No other warning is given.

... I guess it's cause games industry is still a young medium. As its only really been around for 30 years (i think lol). And when you compare that to the movie industry etc. it's still a long way off to be viewed as an equal.

It should also be taken into account how quick the games industry has changed in 30 years. Far faster than the movie industry did in teh same time line which has also been faster than the view of the industry...
    The first computer video game was pre-1960, and computer games existed before that. In my view the rate of change is comparable. Moden video games have borrowed heavily from the movies. A lot of the work was already done for them.

These games are designed to thrill and be addictive, and they achieve that. Thrill seekers tend to seek bigger thrills, and I believe that some will take the step into the real thing. I can't say where the trade-off between a lot of people enjoying themselves harmlessly and the number of murderers produced is. Video games may actually reduce death rates, keeping thrill seekers off the road or wherever. They are perhaps best kept safe at home.

Thread Information