Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock Bottoms 20-22 March 2009, the aftermath.

Re: Rock Bottoms 20-22 March 2009, the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post

You have given back to other dancers a hundrefold what I ever gave to you. I was more than happy to give encouragement just as you are.

You only really need one really bad dance in an evening of good dances to really colour a persons view of things
    thank you I try I remember how I felt I say to others how would you like to be rememberd? for 'that' look when some one askes for a dance, * huff go on then*
    or a nice smile and giving them the best dance you can. were not perfect its 3-4 mins and a life time memory

I agree with chef, be nice to begginers, you neaver know who they might trun out to be

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    I also think (well hope at least) that I've danced with you enough now that even if I was shockingly bad it would never be so bad that you would never dance with me again. ............I don't want to ask them and then dance really badly and have them add me to their list of people to refuse in future haha.

I must admit I have mixed feelings about the weekend. Personally, I did find it inspiring, even if the standard of WCS made it a little intimidating at times for me (an improver). But I do know of five people who left before the end of Saturday who weren't enjoying it, and somehow, without judging at all, a fair few Jivers seemed not to get what they expected for some reason as well.

The teaching was very good, just excellent in fact, the best for me being Olivier and Henriette. Their humour and good-nature was evident throughout, and whilst J&T were technically precise and obviously excellent teachers as well, on some level I felt J&T were executing a script, whereas O&H were responding more to the classes. That was seen when O&H, without discarding the technique side of it, seemed to realize that Jivers, with their particularly teaching experiences, like to get down to some physical activity pretty darn quick and don't like lectures where by the end, you've not so much forgotten what pattern preceded it, but have instead forgotten which country your in.

The hotel was fine (walking distance to station), the food was fine. No complaints there. It was a nice complex and the sunny weather helped

It would have been nice to have had more chances to dance during the day. I've got used to near 24hr dancing at weekenders and I missed that, especially when so many classes demanded more practise straight after than the 10-15 mins allowed. It's a shame the little downstairs floor wasn't always available to dance even if it was just a case of a CD/DVD rather than a DJ.
    Unlike some of the posters above, I did think there was some overcrowding (particularly downstairs when the upstairs was WCS, and the tiny downstairs was Jive, although I also agree that generally (I found) floorcraft was a cut above on this weekender.
    Free water and the midnight:30 free tea/coffee/muffins/eclairs was perfect. Every longer freestyle should have that as standard £15 for the DVD is a decent price too.

Like I said, I have mixed feelings about this weekender, but there were enough outstanding things to make it a WCS weekender not to miss. So I'll prolly be back next year, hopefully marginally better at this bloody dance

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Huh I'm confused haha

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    Huh I'm confused haha
    It was aimed at Rob not you. As he has been known to refuse me just a few times

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    But I do know of five people who left before the end of Saturday who weren't enjoying it, and somehow, without judging at all, a fair few Jivers seemed not to get what they expected for some reason as well.
    I think if I did not dance WCS nor had any interest in learning to do so then I might have a different perception of the event.

On a different note, I would commend RB for giving a pre-amble about levels for the classes and suggesting strongly that people stick to their level to get the most out of the weekend. I think it worked quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    But I do know of five people who left before the end of Saturday who weren't enjoying it, and somehow, without judging at all, a fair few Jivers seemed not to get what they expected for some reason as well.
    I'd be interested to know what they had expected. The details of the schedule were on the website before the event, so it was obvious it was going to be WCS heavy.

I'm a fan of Rock Bottoms and went their first ten events. In fact until Southport came along (the real Sp that is ) I had stopped going to the big weekenders. This was the first time I'd been to their Torquay venue and after all the hype, I have to say it lived up to its reputation.

Cruella and Chef have covered almost everything I would've commented on. The main difference was that I went by coach from Victoria, for £34 return. Not as comfortable as a train, but we did get a leg-stretching break, and no need to change anywhere. On the return trip the coach got in 45 minutes early to boot.

The teaching was top notch, the cabarets were jaw-dropping and the usual RB extras of fruit, sweeties, late night tea and cakes and madcap antics made for a memorable weekend.

The music was a bit patchy in places, but was never bad. I did overhear one comment on Sunday night, from someone in the WCS room complaining that there wasn't enough jive music being played! This was patently ridiculous as there were two rooms going, with different music in each and the weekend was advertised as "the West Coast one" - what did people expect? Apart from this, there was no obvious animosity between jivers and WCS-ers.

The major downside for me, as at Skeggie, was the state of my spine. As an indication of its condition, I actually turned down invitations to dance from Nicole and Tatiana!

On the plus side it was nice to see people I hadn't seen for a while, and also attended Josh's 18th birthday party. I danced with several WCS newbies, who bravely came up and asked me, telling me they were beginners - and perhaps now I know why And finally Tatiana, whose quick wit gave me one of the funniest moments ever, and she gave me a shoulder rub to boot

I'm looking forwad to next year's already...

After hearing the wonderful comments about the Rock Bottoms weekender, I'm kinda sad at having missed out - at the time I just didn't feel I could justify my taking another day off work so soon after attending Ceroc Southport.

I also baulked at the thought of being at a weekender where I'm an absolute beginner at WCS, yet surrounded by all these experienced WCS dancers

Now I wish I had gone after all. Especially after hearing about this Jordan & Tatiana routine with a lapdance?!

Oh well, here's something to try and encourage me to go to the next WCS event, maybe try the Weston-super-mare Champs if I can organise transport and stuff...

Pictures up at the Rockbottoms website now.

You don't see this on You Tube

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Pictures up at the Rockbottoms website now.

You don't see this on You Tube

I loved watching that dance - fab pic!

Thread Information