• Heart

34 77.27%
  • Crotch (Silverfox option only)

1 2.27%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you dance more from your head or from your heart

Re: Do you dance more from your head or from your heart

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    If we ever have a dance, can you please show me how you would pull that off? There's someone at one of my local venues who went through a phase of continually trying to get the girl to sit on his lap. But rather than an obvious lead/fluid movement, it seemed to always consist of him randomly stopping, kneeling down, and saying "this is where you sit on my knee". Of course the girl, looking confused, would stop and do it, but it did feel "a tad forced" to put it lightly.
    There is a photo of me sitting on DTS's right thigh - page 13 of Blush official photos. DTS has got us perfectly technically aligned.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post

But on a serious note some of my best dances have been a total mental blur.
    That's true for me, for instance I didn't remember sitting on DTS's leg until I saw the photo.

Sometimes I blink at the end of a dance, as if I've been in another dimension and have returned to planet Earth.

It doesn't mean the dance is wasted on me, the memory is retained in a feeling, not logically in my head, like the more mundane dances.

Astro and DTS

This might work
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 25th-March-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: fixing url

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    ... Sometimes I blink at the end of a dance, as if I've been in another dimension and have returned to planet Earth.

It doesn't mean the dance is wasted on me, the memory is retained in a feeling, not logically in my head, like the more mundane dances.
    Music and dance and the arts in general tend to be right-brained activities. Left brained memory and logic are suppressed, or separated. It would be nteresting to see how many tracks from the playlist dancers could recall at the end of a night, an exercise made very difficult by the fact that most dancers cannot names the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Left brained memory and logic are suppressed, or separated. It would be nteresting to see how many tracks from the playlist dancers could recall at the end of a night, an exercise made very difficult by the fact that most dancers cannot names the tracks.
    Or even at a more simple level, if they could remember anything specifically about the dance other than "that felt nice". Thinking back on lovely dances I've had, I couldn't really tell you any of the moves that were led, but just that the dance overall felt fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    Or even at a more simple level, if they could remember anything specifically about the dance other than "that felt nice". Thinking back on lovely dances I've had, I couldn't really tell you any of the moves that were led, but just that the dance overall felt fantastic.
    So it's not which moves are led, but how they are led.

That dance with Astro was one of those completly from the heart type dances we just went for it and it all slotted together.

DTS XXX XXX
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 25th-March-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    That dance with Astro was one of those completly from the heart type dances we just went for it and it all slotted together.

DTS XXX XXX
    It was a very fast track, category rock I would say, which I loved, even though never hear it before.

There's Fletch and Nigel Anderson in the background.

I think interpreting the phrase "on my knees" in Killers - Human by leading a knee sit move is a 'head' reaction to the music. I listen to the words, think through my known moves, select one that matches, and dance it at the appropriate time. No emotion is required at any point in the process.

Here's a 'heart' reaction, for contrast. I hear the words "are we human or are we dancer", along with the up-beat euphoric feeling of the song. This inspires a feeling of pride, as if dancers are more than human. With this feeling, I dance in a more prideful way: more upright, with my chest out more, and smiling more. I may not even be consciously aware of any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I think interpreting the phrase "on my knees" in Killers - Human by leading a knee sit move is a 'head' reaction to the music. I listen to the words, think through my known moves, select one that matches, and dance it at the appropriate time. No emotion is required at any point in the process.

Here's a 'heart' reaction, for contrast. I hear the words "are we human or are we dancer", along with the up-beat euphoric feeling of the song. This inspires a feeling of pride, as if dancers are more than human. With this feeling, I dance in a more prideful way: more upright, with my chest out more, and smiling more. I may not even be consciously aware of any of this.
    I agree. I think of it as just fun. If I needed a word it would be "lyricality".

OTOH It is possible to beg with feeling ...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I agree. I think of it as just fun. If I needed a word it would be "lyricality".

OTOH It is possible to beg with feeling ...
    In music, the technical term is "word painting."

Is the song upbeat/euphoric?
    I really like the song, but I never would have called it "euphoric".

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post

Thread Information