Thread: Mixing in other styles of dance

Mixing in other styles of dance

I have noticed a good number of dancers who seem to be able to incorporate other styles of dance in with their 'normal' ceroc moves. I personally think it looks fantastic and I would like to learn, it would give partners a break from the 'waltzers' and human origami.

For example 1st move into a waltz/foxtrot style move or armjive swizzle with mambo steps thrown in (I have tried this one with various degrees of success).

My question would be; is this taught as part of ceroc and, if not, is it worthwhile trying a few ballroom classes to get the basics?

Re: Mixing in other styles of dance

Yes, it is sometimes taught.

Yes, it's always worthwhile learning more - no matter the style.

Adding them into your own dancing takes time, practice and lots of mucking it up (but pretending it was what you intended )

The amount style/genre variations are taught will depend on the teacher, their background etc. Eg, in our area there's someone who's background is ballroom, someone else who does a lot of salsa and street, and someone else who loves mambo steps and wiggling. So it's worth going to as many different venues as possible if you don't actually want to invest in ballroom/tango/salsa lessons as well.

However you'll learn different & good techniques that you can bring to salsa from other styles; often there's not enough time for technique at ceroc.

Weekenders are also great examples - eg Blush had hip hop, nu line dancing, rumba, WCS as well as ceroc workshops. Then you can pick and choose the moves or styling that you enjoy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    I would give partners a break from the 'waltzers' and human origami.

I have noticed a good number of dancers who seem to be able to incorporate other styles of dance in with their 'normal' ceroc moves. I personally think it looks fantastic and I would like to learn, it would give partners a break from the 'waltzers' and human origami.

For example 1st move into a waltz/foxtrot style move or armjive swizzle with mambo steps thrown in (I have tried this one with various degrees of success).

My question would be; is this taught as part of ceroc and, if not, is it worthwhile trying a few ballroom classes to get the basics?
    MJ is a blend of all sorts of dance influences, so in the intermediates classes you'll no doubt be taught many of the things you're seeing on the floor. As emmylou25 says it does depend on the preference of your local teacher, but you will see a variety, especially if you go to a couple of different venues.

The other thing that will happen is that as you get a little more practiced you'll be able to watch someone doing a move and then copy it yourself.

Finally, if all else fails if you see someone you know doing a move that you like then ask them to show you (except dips and drops of course - leave that to a properly trained teacher to explain). It's normally a good ego boost for them, and it is usually helpful for you to have things explained.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

Wow

Not sure if teacher reads this forum or not (Hi Elaine, hope the back gets better soon ) but what a coincidentally great night last night.

Did the travelling 1st move thing. I think it was Argentinian something or other. A bit alien at first but got the hang of it eventually. A few leads(myself included) were seemingly crossing the borders as there were instances of Columbians which (to paraphrase Roy Walker) is "a great move, but it's not right".

A big thanks again to the ladies for their patience, especially those who had to endure the early efforts.

Had a moment of spontaneous joy when I couldn't help but say "Look Ma, I'm dancing". It was akin to that feeling after several, or in my case many, driving lessons when eventually you realise that instead of feeling every "press the clutch, change gear etc etc" you actually feel you can drive. Whilst I would say I'm no Lewis Hamilton, at least I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

I suppose it depends what you're looking for. I know nothing about what is taught in the UK. My impression (from these forums) is that teaching in Australia is broader than in the UK.

I have done some West Coast Swing classes, and they have affected my MJ (but they've also affected most other Australian MJ dancers).
    I have done some Argentine Tango classes, and they have affected my MJ.

I have also been to a couple of Style/Footwork workshops. The class that aimed at leaders was essentially half a WCS musicality/syncopation class. The class that aimed at followers was half an AT adornments class and half a WCS syncopation class.
    The only real difference was they were taught by MJ dancers.

To answer your question, I say study musicality, regardless of the dance style it is taught in.
    Learn to feel the music and learn to lead well.

Thread Information