Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blush The Aftermath

Re: Blush The Aftermath

On the arm-band thing, I've got used to them from several weekenders, and didn't really mind them. I'm told folding them over to make a slimmer band can be better if they are annoying you.

The alternative of ticket-based entry is too easily abused.

As for the difficulties when folks are dancing out on the decking, I can see Ceroc imposing a larger "exclusion zone" around the main venue in the summer to ensure that only ticket holders are there.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    a couple of years ago, so I don't know if they have always had it after that point, but I would imagine so.
    In all the weekenders I've been to, including 4 Ceroc ones at various, one Jivetime one at Camber, and 8 Jive Addiction ones at Southport, this is the first one I've seen a live video and audio feed from the main room of classes and freestyle.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The Dashing Moderator

I think the first time I remember the live TV feed thing was Ceroc Storm 2006 - see this post from the "aftermath" thread at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Huge rear-projection units were installed in the 2 biggest rooms with live feed from the relevant stages so that everyone could see properly. (Live feed from the main room was also piped into all the chalets so you could watch from the comfort of your sofa if you were to knackered to get up).
    Love dance, will travel

AussieJ's impression

As a relative newcomer to the UK and the dance scene here, I've never been to any weekenders except my first one at ECLIPSE Skegness in Feb, and this one.

Also, I had to head back to Glasgow on Sunday afternoon, so I can't comment on what Sunday late afternoon and onwards was like as I missed it. Anyway, I'll give this Aftermath review thing a go

Venues
    • Distance between venues and was this an issue? - I did like how I only had to walk a couple of corridors to go between all three, vs. Skegness where one has to walk outside on the cold pavement between Reds, Jaks, and Arthurs

• Timings of available dancing - I really really liked the fact one can dance til 7AM in the morning in the Blues room

• Size - Thunderball/Main room was on many occasions very packed, maybe as an Aussie newcomer here I'm just not used to dancing with so many couples next to me with accidental collisions and whatnot. The other two venues were fine, due to being less packed even on 'peak' hours.

• Floor - Main room's polished wooden floor was pretty good, better than JA ECLIPSE's Reds room that had some uneven tiled area, sometimes a bit too slippery but good overall. Latin Quarter was a bit mixed, middle square was good, not so much the floor surrounding it.

• Heat - fans - air-con etc. - Main room got pretty warm with lots of people, felt as if there was no aircon at times.

• Bars - efficiency and prices - N/A for me, too busy dancing

• Seating - fine, didn't sit down much to take notice.

• Atmosphere - Its hard to say, all 3 venues felt just that bit different to the corresponding ones I recently went to at Skegness, due to the different shape/layout of the room and the dancers on the floors - especially the Blues room, 3 separated floors vs. Jaks was quite a different experience for me!

Dancing on the deck that was opened up on Sunday was also quite good with the sun out! As an Aussie, I appreciated the sunlight and the cool breeze

Music - Dj's
    I can't say much about this as I'm not the best judge, but I liked most of the Blues room music, Main room music was good although there were several occasions I simply drifted to the Blues room or Latin Quarter due to the song not being something I liked dancing to. And Tiggerbabe's music was great whenever I was at a venue she was DJing on

Dancers
    It was good catching up with several people I had only just met in Skegness and London in Feb. Most of all, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting new people during freestyle and workshops, and dancing with those who I managed to snaffle for a freestyle on Friday and Saturday night.

Just about everyone I managed to meet in person over the weekend, whether it be exchanging pleasantries during workshop rotation, or asking ladies for a freestyle dance, was nice and friendly towards me! I was chuffed to bits to hear from a few of them saying I had a good lead and was good to dance with. There was even a girl who kept asking me to do WCS with her even though she's a beginner - and I'm only 2-3 lessons more experienced than her *LOL*

Strangely enough I also feel somewhat sad because there were many more ladies out there I simply didn't get to dance with at all, as many a time they were snapped up really quick by men already on the floor as I was about to head over and ask them and missed out - or the handful of girls I did ask from time to time, were either taking a rest/didn't like the song/simply declined. I can't quite put a finger on it, but this was more acutely felt by me at Southport, than it was at Skegness.

Anyhow, with dances I *did* get - they were all great fun, both with familiar dancers (Tiggerbabe, Princess Fi, gamebird et al.!!) and even more so with the new faces! I think its because I like seeing their faces when I pulled off a few moves I learnt back home in Australia

Oh, and I got to finally meet and dance with fletch a couple of times too

Workshops
    I liked most of the ones I chose to attend, but on both the Sat and Sun, there was a Sat 1.15-2.15 slot that had two interesting workshops at the same time on two venues - WCS and Int/Adv MJ. I chose WCS on both days, but I dearly wanted to checkout the MJ workshops as well. On the whole, the teachers were quite good, all had a sense of humour, almost all ran out of time for the last routine move, but that's the way it goes.

Cabarets
    This is just personal preference, please don't flame me if you happen to disagree - but I thought Pamela & James' routine weren't particularly impressive to me, certainly seemed too short, particularly the Flo Rida - Low cabaret. This exact same song was used by Australian champs Allan & Holly Skinner for their routine - and I'm saying this in the nicest possible way, but it was more eye-catching and jaw-dropping than what P & J came up with.

Phil & Alex's routine was excellent, very well done. I'm at a loss for words to describe their mix of jungle beat/Saturday Night Fever/other-stuff-I-can't-remember music; their costumes were fab as well!

Brett & Kellese's was very good to watch - I would have to say though that having recently seen Kyle & Sarah's routine at Skegness, I think K&S was simply stupendous to watch up front. As an avid WCS beginner, I thoroughly enjoyed watching both!

Forum meets etc
    I have to say that I didn't get acquainted with many of the forum people who were there at Southport - I simply didn't know forum people's faces to make instant recognition possible and I might very well have exchanged pleasantries or even danced with several forum people, and I was none the wiser! On the plus side, I finally got to meet a couple of forumites in person, most notably fletch!

and finally ... compared to the previous JA Southport's, how does it rate, as an overall experience???

I cannot answer this, as I'm someone who hasn't been to JA ECLIPSE Southport events - I will say that my first time with the Ceroc ESCAPE Southport has been a very good one, it left me wanting more of it and wishing I had been there on Sunday night/Monday morning for one more long period of freestyle dancing.

Thumbs up Re: Blush The Aftermath

Blush- The Aftermath
    Surprisingly have a warm glow from a feel good factor of having experienced a great dance weekender

This was my fourth dance weekender to date having done: Ayr. Kirriemuir, and Camber.

The three previous dance weekends had all been great learning experiences but hadn’t lived up to my expectations. This coupled with a sinus problem which have been draining me over the last little while made me feel like this weekend was away to be another disappointment but surprisingly it wasn’t.

Journey
    With me lacking motivation it took me till 4:30pm on Friday the 13th! to leave Edinburgh and head on the 250 mile journey to Southport. Even with Friday night traffic and a road block that confused the sh1t out of my Sat Nav I still made it into my Chalet at 9:20!

Driving home was even easier with cruising easily home inside four and half hours.

Accommodation

Having suffered Camber in November with howling icy cold winds blowing through the chalet, Southport with it’s draft proof doors and windows were just pure luxury!

Also our £5 of electricity actually managed to last the whole weekend and was plenty for keeping the place warm and cooking all my favourite oven dinners.

No Microwave but can’t have everything I guess.

Venues

• Distance between venues and was this an issue? -Being a newbie to Southport and turning up a little late I parked ¾ of the way around the complex and gave myself a long walk, neon signs with “Reception Parking this way” would have helped.

• Timings of available dancing – more than anyone can handle I would guess.

• Size – Good, even at peak times there was space to dance, you might need to walk to the other side of the room to get some but there was always some available.

• Floor – Was amazed to see the main floor being cleaned at 4am on Saturday morning as we danced away in the Blues Boudoir and thought to myself we really are getting the royal treatment here.

• Heat fans air con etc – The main room and WCS/Latin room were prefect. The Blues Boudoir with it’s three sub-levels means it’s a little trickier to get right, to me the raised wooden Blues dance floor was perfect but others found it a tad warm. I found the seating area off the bar too much of a chill/freeze out zone that I headed off to bed early on the Friday night (5am) instead of spectating any longer.

• Bars efficiency and prices – Reasonable.

• Seating – plenty and in the right places.

• Atmosphere – Fun, Friendly, Young, Happening Ceroc style.

Restaurants

• Did self catering which always saves £££’s.

Other facilities

• Might have been but was there to eat, dance and sleep in that order

the good the bad and the Ugly of the...

Music - Dj's
    Good: Great tunes at the right time to make you dance till you drop.
    Bad: Three rooms all playing the best music at the same time, made deciding what to do very difficult.

Dancers
    Good: The whole spectrum.
    Bad: They are all crazy dance nuts.

Workshops
    Good: Interesting classes on blues, WCS, Dips& Drops, Funky and Latin. All on at times which seemed not to clash. So very well planed out.
    Bad: WCS introduction class focused to early on “Brent & Kellese’s” style before the basics. Their sparkling personalities and later classes (which I attended all of) made up for the initial hiccup. Was planning on doing a few Ceroc Classic workshops but was put off by some as they sounded just to damn fancy.

Cabarets
    Good: Everything.
    Bad: No ice-cream or popcorn was provided

Forum meets etc – One would have been nice but I packed so much into this weekend it would have been hard to fit it in anyway.

Any complaints? – nope. Even when there was problems with our chalet, door lock and fridge, they were dealt with very quickly and efficiently and with a smile!

Any surprise.... 'Wow..... that was a brilliant innovation'?
    Plenty of good water machines, Ceroc TV, Good dance areas well maintained.

and finally ... compared to the previous JA Southport's, how does it rate, as an overall experience???

A few people tried to explain to me how previous JA had seemed better in that they were more busier or this and that but I couldn’t imagine it being much better myself.

Highlights
    Friday night – friendly WCS dancers who didn’t mind playing with newbie’s. Seeing so many friendly faces

Saturday – Workshops, dazzling Cabaret, blues dancing the night away

Sunday – More excellent workshops, WCS/Cyclone room taking off at around about 1am – seeing Brent & Kellese dancing away in the room with everyone with Dave and Val to raise the tempo was just plain AWSOME. I was glued to my seat for about an hour just stunned with what I was watching.

Finishing off with superb blues dances from a few unnamed floor goddesses and a few named floor goddesses:- Claire, Supervixen, Gill, Donna, Twirlie Bird, Fletch and finally Lory I called it a night knowing it couldn’t be much better…

Well that’s until I do it all again next time but with Sunday night dances from Caz, Tiggerbabe, Jeni, Drathzel and Claire S to... yes I know I'm just greedy

….marks out of 10 would be 11.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Journey

...Any Shocking gossip???

One was a rival jive organisation who (if the area I parked was anything to go by) went round putting flyers under all the car windscreen wipers.

The other was the (presumably Ceroc) people who went round taking them all away again...
    Well it wasnt a flyer that I found under my windscreen wipers when I went to leave on Sunday - was it Rocky???

Am too tired to post a full review, so in a nutshell...

I had a fab weekend, it was well worth the tiring drive up there after Utopia on Friday night (thanks to Miguel for keeping me awake!!). On arriving at 5.30, being met by Franc & Sheena instantly picked me up (we wuv you!) Tiggerbabe's breakfast set set was quite simply the best and as for you Robd - what can I say... "awesome" .

The music is crucial for me on a weekender - and the ceroc DJ's hit the nail on the head in every way this weekend (although the fast swing doesn't do it for me, so I avoided that!). John Bakers WCS set Rockys main room set - proving that it is possible to play challenging tracks to get the whole room rocking without slipping into the mainstream thump thump thump! Gary Turner's funky set (too sleep deprived to register when they were!) Marc & Rachel capturing the friendly feel by getting a spontaneous conga going!! Great job all.

Brent & Kellese - fantastic!! I loved them - get them back, in the hope that more westies can benefit from their valuable input in the future. They were both so very sociable, happy to dance with all, a breath of fresh air (well done Val for getting them over). They are genuinely lovely people.

I have never been a fan of the latin room and in previous Southports, the combination of that hot smelly room and all that latin durge is just too much for me!! However - this time, it was cooler, not at all smelly, the WCS music sets were fab and having Brent and Kellese in there dancing was the icing on the cake. My preference would be from 11pm or so, to close, to have it as a dedicated WCS room - and calling all westies... get yourselves up there for May!

I also love the vibe of daytime dancing in the bar / blues room / outside, so am looking forward to some good weather in May!

Finally... "pump it"... that was just mean! One minute I am enjoying a dreamy dance, having just had breakfast, before heading off to bed at 11am, when suddely it was interrupted! If nothing else Rob & I gave the early morning class go'ers some entertainment (although it nearly killed us - thanks Sheena ).

Quote Originally Posted by Limpy Tink View Post
    Am too tired to post a full review, so in a nutshell...
    That's a big nut Limpy, don't choke on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Limpy Tink View Post
    Finally... "pump it"... that was just mean! thanks Sheena ).
    Yes, I think a suitable form of payback needs to be arranged. Be afraid Sheena....

My first taste of a Ceroc weekender and I was impressed, just want to highlight two things;

Brent & Kellise cabaret blew me away to be honest, it was so vibrant with stunning musicality, though I was lucky enough to be right by where they were dancing. I was just learning West coast to help a little with my dancing technique, but I see it in a different light after that.

I thought Mark & Lyndsey pitched their class right, particularly choosing a fun song, but as I go to their class I could be accussed of biased.

and even the sun shone on Sunday; had a nice morning walk on the beach to clear the beer away,

Graham

I think i'm more tired now i have had 10 hrs sleep than before, glad there isn't at weekender this weekend.

i'm just doing good, bad, and awesome (sorry i'm blond keep it simple)

Good

The music was FAB, I don't want to miss anyone, but I need to do a few mentions, Marie listened to her for the first time last weekend at Camber, she fab, and love the way she dancing on the stage, go gal! Jammy played a blinder. I'm a bit of a main room person and love the new stuff, I know its personal taste but it worked for me getting shot of the 'ceroc classics' you can save that for class week nights.

I have learned not to joke with DJ's over there music, even when you think they know how much you like there sets, see you Saturday for more fab music Kryton1

Missed Mike doing the 'Swing hour' but kryton1 setped in and dedicated part of his set to swing, thank you.

Nigel did a fab Swing set Sunday and watching him a Nina dancing awesome.

I loved the cabarets and liked the fact we didn't have to watch one that had been learned that day, I understand why we have them, and Joe's normally does them but i'm still glad it wasn't on.

Pamela and James, they were lovely with the children I asked James if he would come into the main room and dance with the kids and he was more than happy to, I stood on a chair watching Joe dance with Pamela it looked challenging.

Kelise and Brent just fab, fab, fab. They are the type of people that would help bridge the gap between WCS and MJ wonderful attitude, hope we see them again.

Well done Frank on comparing but I would like to see you on the dance floor not on the stage.

The atmosphere was wonderful I loved to see so many people dancing in the 'slower room' it was a lot of people's first weekender and totally unaware of any politics, forum, JA v Ceroc they were just dancing in the slow room and didn't know to be intimidated. Yaeh! at last!

Sledgehammer's set was well supported by his local venue Saturday early evening which was nice to see, he had them doing the conger around the 'blues room' for the last track. What's was that all about lol. LOL. x

Starting the weekend giving a young man a big hug that was hurting badly with a brake up (first cut is the deepest) ending with him giving me a wink over the shoulder of a beautiful young lady he was smooching with, kids bounce back quick, all's well that ends well.

Josh who has entertained me all weekend with his over the top, camp bitchy style, your so naughty, love you.

Couldn't believe the children dress one of the new kids up in girls clothes and make up and brought him in the blues room Sunday afternoon OMG

Giving Rubin a back, sack, and crack wax Sunday afternoon, SWAY you talents are endless, hiding his clothes in the 'blues room' and making him retrieve them naked with on a small hand towel for modesty, sorry if it caused offence to anyone.

ChrisU Northern Soul set at 10.30 Sunday morning ......left the 'blues room' at 9.00 after breakfast hoping for some sleep, after getting involved in s situation I just taken my make up off and could hear this music been played and thought .....oh **** I forgot ended up dancing about with sunglasses on and my hair clipped up scary stuff...I was there tough, no chance of any sleep, everyone was up when I got back, and I couln't miss Rocky

All the sets Saturday were fab, I was glad that the DJ's followed on with the theam and didn't change to mood, it was fun, lively, up beat, and for me I don't want slow, moody music in the afternoon, I want a party.

Bad

flippin wind machines, I was froze, the one at the front of the stage was like a jet engine, I know I pi$$ed a few people off getting it switched off late Sunday night but the number had droped and loads of people were cold not just me.

Seeing two of my friends hurting, comunication is everything, its good to talk, ( it is if we listen)

Loosing my voice early hours of Sautrday morning, it hadn't recoverd properly from last weekend, didn't stop me talking though.

Awesome

Rocky's set Saturday afternoon for me was 'THE BEST' set I have ever been to. Saturday afternoon dancing in the blues room to Rocky's set....let me tell you life does not get any better than that.

Will I be back? is that a daft question?

Yes, it was brilliant.

If you didn't go for what ever reason, just remember why you came dancing in the first place? for me it was to have fun, meet people, and dance I got all that and much, much more this weekend, it dosn't matter to me weather you come or not it won't change my fun, its you that missing out, I paid £109 for CerocPort, Ok yes I did have some places to give away, but even if I didnt, I was happy to pay £109 for what I got I wish people would stop winging about what others have got or havn't got, get one with having fun, and don't hang about waiting fro a free bee for May my prediction is it will be a massive seel out, all the new people that I spoke to were coming home and booking, and passing the word around.

We have a very special lady's very special birthday in May, I have a few suggestions for the 'big man' on the cabaret........how about Alexandra O'Neil i'm not sure if she like him ........I do.

Highlights

Saturday morning

Vicky McFarlane's Rumba Class with Tom Baker.

Extremely well taught. Brilliant

Sunday night

Dale's COZ set in Blues room. Sublime

Marc and Rachel's Milonga. Fab

Thanks to the brave unknown men, and Marc, for asking me - I'm only a beginner.

The bad

Floor too cold in the latin Room for the Pilates class. Had to drop out.

It was chilly in the main building (except the main room). i haven't been to SP in winter before, is it always cold?

The blues room was especially cold on sunday night as the patio doors hadn't been closed properly, then some idiot ( a punter) opened them later on and we were freezing. 2 couples danced outside, but not for long.

Thanks to -

Fletch for letting me be a Fletcherette again, without whom I would not have been there.

The 3 blokes I shared with - Martin Harper, The Librarian and Beanie.
    Women eh

Really enjoyed myself, loads of laughs.

A nice touch was the lime and lemon slices next to the water machines.
    Also the Expresso machine behind the bar.

No cakes though

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    No cakes though
    Well, I made one - a sponge with lemon curd and fresh whipped cream filling. Unfortunately after a few glasses of wine at dinner with Princess Fi on Fri I forgot to bring it to the venue I remembered again about 3 a.m and went to fetch it - it was gone within about 7 minutes of returning

Sorry for those who missed out

Arrow Re: Blush The Aftermath

What a great weekend! I don't normally write these but I had such a good time I will, but not the ott questionaire format..

The Good

The people - I had Mel & Tonic along for the drive, thanks for the great conversation! Hannah (forum name?) was the best chalet mate one could wish for. I cooked dinner on Sat. for us and the lovely ClaireS & drathzel, Danielle's hamster action demonstration was um... memorable There were plenty of people I knew and some great new discoveries.

Enough music that I really liked - If I liked it all then other people with different tastes would be disappointed so enough is ...enough.

The floor & temporary floor - excellent to dance on, and looked waterproof so the outside bit could quickly dry without getting wrecked as the chipboard stuff would do.

Sound system - really very clear sound, it makes a big difference.

Being surprised when someone who couldn't come to this weekender, suddenly grabbed me on Sunday night!

The slightly-less-good

Sound system! - Just because you can have perfect clarity at 5,000,000 decibels and blot out all conversation in the room whilst damaging peoples hearing, doesn't mean you should! I rarely went in the main room which was particularly bad for this, but the blues room too on Saturday evening was just too loud. The DJ (not one I know) denied all knowledge/responsiblity/ability to do anything about it saying he hadn't touched it. errr. So? Later on it was fine again.

The doors being kept shut when it was too hot in the blues room. A little bit of extra ventilation would have been nice at times.

Wristbands - Why? were there really non-dancers on the site? Who on earth would want to be at Pontins in March???

And the odd

Being told I was 'scary' during a dance. Twice! (same dance). I know I don't have a face that looks smiley (even if I am really); but scary???

I'm tempted to see about going to the next one, nothing about the event would put me off, it'll just be down to how much spare/holiday time I have.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    In all the weekenders I've been to, including 4 Ceroc ones at various, one Jivetime one at Camber, and 8 Jive Addiction ones at Southport, this is the first one I've seen a live video and audio feed from the main room of classes and freestyle.
    Now that I've thought about it, I think the previous Southport TV was recordings of all the classes, rather than a live feed. I remember watching a Peter Philips dips and drops one.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Darcy View Post
    Wristbands - Why? were there really non-dancers on the site? Who on earth would want to be at Pontins in March???
    Was there non-dancing people there then ? Were there door checks? I'm very much anti-Wristband!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Was there non-dancing people there then ? Were there door checks? I'm very much anti-Wristband!
    Don't think there were many, if any.
    Yes, there were.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Well, I made one - a sponge with lemon curd and fresh whipped cream filling. Unfortunately after a few glasses of wine at dinner with Princess Fi on Fri I forgot to bring it to the venue I remembered again about 3 a.m and went to fetch it - it was gone within about 7 minutes of returning
    Oh dear

I thought I'd have a "power nap" as I woke at 5am Friday morning, and was too excited to get back to sleep.
    Unfortunately the "power nap" lasted till 8am Saturday morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Darcy View Post
    What a great weekend! I don't
    The doors being kept shut when it was too hot in the blues room. A little bit of extra ventilation would have been nice at times.
    I asked a Pontins H&S guy to open the doors Saturday lunchtime, it was nice and sunny. He said we'd need permission from Ceroc.

I saw you out there Mr Darcy. I know it wasn't you who opened the doors. But the chill emptied the blues room. It was too cold to sit and watch, and chat.

Thanks for the wonderful dances.
    And the odd

Being told I was 'scary' during a dance. Twice! (same dance). I know I don't have a face that looks smiley (even if I am really); but scary???
    You smile at me. But remember, Mr. Darcy doesn't smile in the book.
    Last edited by Astro; 17th-March-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: 6 smilies is not enough.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Yes, I think a suitable form of payback needs to be arranged. Be afraid Sheena....
    Hey, it had to done Let me redress the balance by helping you out of a wee hole you've dug yourself into
    If your ass is fat, I can't help the way that I react
    Waffle party playlist - Eamon ft FCM "Ass is Fat" - TUNE!

closely followed by Will.I.Am "Big & Chunky" - 'NOTHER TUNE!
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

CAVEAT:

John Baker's WCS set Mon morning and Marc's choice of final 3 songs for the weekend was inspired.

I loved that set so much, can you remember what the last 3 songs were, I know the version of save tonight he played gave me goosebumps, the words were so apt!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornish Pixie View Post
    I loved that set so much, can you remember what the last 3 songs were, I know the version of save tonight he played gave me goosebumps, the words were so apt!
    Inge Marie Gundersen - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
    Chris Gains - Lost In You
    Very Last One - ???????

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Don't think there were many, if any.
    Yes, there were.
    Why?
    Because I would find it slightly annoying. How can you accessorise if the band colours are a bit "Trinny and Sussanarse" - I look good in maroon - was there even a maroon band!?

Thread Information