Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How will shoes effect my dancing?

Re: How will shoes effect my dancing?

I'll just add that I recently went to a dance weekender in Melbourne (my impression from reading the forum is that our weekenders are nothing compared with yours).
    For one class on the second day I decided to take off my shoes. It felt fantastic to have bare feet (after a day and a half dancing in shoes), and I think it was no detriment to my dancing.

If you can dance, then you can dance.
    Shoes, sole material, are irrelevant.
    But some moves depend on sliding; others depend on stability. What moves you do will depend on what you feel comfortable doing, and what your shoes allow, and what your partners allow.

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    I'll just add that I recently went to a dance weekender in Melbourne (my impression from reading the forum is that our weekenders are nothing compared with yours).
    For one class on the second day I decided to take off my shoes. It felt fantastic to have bare feet (after a day and a half dancing in shoes), and I think it was no detriment to my dancing.

If you can dance, then you can dance.
    Shoes, sole material, are irrelevant.
    But some moves depend on sliding; others depend on stability. What moves you do will depend on what you feel comfortable doing, and what your shoes allow, and what your partners allow.
    Slidey soles do not effect my ability to perform moves (that don't involve sliding) - but it does restrict my style.

I appreciate that soles wont effect many people (I see some people 'dancing' in desert boots f*s ), - but we all dance differently.

I will often pivot and turn my feet here and there as I dance, - these little slides, small turns or pivots aren't strictly part of any "move" - its just how I move around. As I say, - very difficult to describe on here really.

I started dancing in Russian combat boots Figure that if I can dance in them, then I can dance in just about anything. The I wore gent's dress shoes with leather soles (Markies was about the only place I could find them... and they do half sizes!)

Then I got a pair of "proper" dancing shoes - much lighter and have thinner soles... wore them until I walked out of them. Just had my second pair of dancing shoes re-soled because I drilled a hole in the sole from spinning & pivoting.

Bare feet - tends to stick or blister/burn: Your skin is designed to grip. If you want to go bare feet, wear socks. Personally I find that I need the little bit of support that a heel gives me or my feet ache half way through the night - but it's nice for a few dances.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Bare feet - tends to stick or blister/burn: Your skin is designed to grip. If you want to go bare feet, wear socks.
    But so many teachers have told me the foot should just skim the floor without touching it. Blisters come from friction, so if I get blisters I am touching the floor, not skimming. It's another way to check/improve technique.

Seriously, I would not have tried wearing no shoes for a whole day of classes, nor for an hour of freestyle. But for a 1 hour class situation (lots of standing listening to the teacher) it was fine (especially when preceded by many hours in my dance shoes, and followed by many more hours in shoes).

Comfort is best, however, I've danced in some of the most uncomfortable shoes in different types of dance (pointes are NOT comfy!!) and have just had to learn to deal with it!!! Now the shoe is largely irrelevant to me so long as I don't 'burn' my feet by causing pressure points.

I'm at my most comfortable in a pair of 4-5 inch heels but then that's not what everyone is looking for is it!! =0)

Thread Information