Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruises - does arnica/anything else work?

Cool Re: Bruises - does arnica/anything else work?

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    About 10 years ago I did a scientific experiment on my arse with Nelsons Arnica cream.

I was racing dinghies and got a massive bruise when I fell heavily during a capsize. It was big and black, and was the size of a coaster! I had been using arnica cream for sometime, but wasn't sure if it worked. The huge bruise provided me with the perfect opportunity to test the cream.

I applied arnica several times a day to one half of the bruise. It cleared up in about a week, whereas the untreated half took a 3 weeks!

So it works for me.

Try it yourself next time you get a really big bruise.
    Alison! There is just too much material in this post! I am entering double entendre overload. I need to go and lie down in a darkened room

Re: Bruises - does arnica/anything else work?

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    Unless you are actually planning to bruise yourself tomorrow, I shouldn't bother. (The ice only helps if you apply it straight after the injury happens, within minutes)
    Sorry! V
    Yes, I AM planning on bruising myself (and having the ice ready for immediate applicatation)!

That is, I'm planning on practising hoopdancing, which at this stage (steep learning curve) means getting new bruises each session and aggravating the current ones. I know I should probably wait till they heal before hooping on them again but then I'd only be able to practise about once a week and would never get any better!

(It's probably a stupid hobby to choose for someone who bruises like a peach, but it's really fun and I don't need a partner, so any time can be dancing time! yay!)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    It's worth taking some Arnica in the morning if you think there's a fair chance that you'll pick up some bruises that day to get it into your system. For example, perhaps you engage in full contact mud-wrestling on a Wednesday evening at the local community centre
    How do you know about that?

Come to think of it, I did see you in the audience at our last "Smack-Down Sunday" event.

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    I use Tiger Balm on my muscles which helps,
    I had forgotten about Tiger Balm, thanks for reminding me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Traditional treatments I use - like horse liniment
    and so forth - rely on burning the skin (in the same way that peppers burn the mouth, rather than burn as in blow torch) which stimulates blood flow and lymph flow to speed up (slightly) the healing process and mask the pain. You can also get packs that actually heat the skin, using an exothermic reaction which takes place over several hours, and gel bandages that are refrigerated and then applied to the affected area; freezing the skin also promotes blood flow, etc.
    Arnica in gel form is cool when rubbed on the skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    Unless you are actually planning to bruise yourself tomorrow, I shouldn't bother. (The ice only helps if you apply it straight after the injury happens, within minutes)
    Sorry! V
    Why do the bar staff at MJ look nonplussed whenever I ask for a cup of ice?

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    You could also try Lasonil, which we have found to be very effective for treating bruises.
    This might not be such a great idea for Miss Flicts, because the hoopdancing probably means that she is likely to re-injure the area that she has applied the Lanosil to. Lanosil is a heparinoid (an anti-clotting agent) and it seems to me that using it on an area just prior to an injury might encourage more bruising.

Any experts out there, opinions please?

Thread Information