Thread: Stinky dance shoe solutions...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stinky dance shoe solutions...

I just want to start by saying, generally, I don't have smelly feet, none of my 'non dance shoes' smell at all but as is the case with many of my dance friends, my WCS sandals basically have to be thrown away, not cos they're worn out cos they STINK!

I've even known girls to have to leave their shoes outside their chalet on weekender, as their chalet mates wont allow them in..but at least they're safe in the knowledge that no one would nick them!

Anyway..

I thought we could pool our ideas and solutions

For closed shoes, I think I've found the perfect solution HERE they're cheap, under £3 for a pack of 10 and I promise they work.

Now for those pesky Sandals...

I've tried loads of, talc and foot sprays and shoe deodorizers but none of them are very good, in fact I found Talc made things much worse, as I ended up with black lumps of... erm, lets dwell on that.

Anyway, I brought 'another' new pair last weekend and I really want to try to keep them smelling nice..

A friend has recommended using the anti-bacterial hand gel, on my feet and smeared in the shoes, before and after I wear them, so I'm going to give that a go but in the mean time.. has anyone else got any other good ideas?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Stinky dance shoe solutions...

Bicarbonate of soda.

Sprinkle some in your shoes over night, then chuck it out in the morning. Works a treat.

I've also taken, once they aren't smelly anymore, to spraying mine with one of those scented deodorant sprays once in a while - or putting the spray on my feet before wearing them.

The other thing is the bags you store your shoes in. I used plastic bags at one point, which was a disaster . I made myself a large bag out of an old piece of linen, and a lavender bag to put inside it, and that seems to keep my shoes pretty fresh as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I just want to start by saying, generally, I don't have smelly feet, none of my 'non dance shoes' smell at all but as is the case with many of my dance friends, my WCS sandals basically have to be thrown away, not cos they're worn out cos they STINK!
    I'm with you here hun. I have never had smelly feet issues before those damn wcs sandals...
    I swear mine are so bad that I'm sure they could be used as rats repellent.

<Ripley>

Nuke them from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

</Ripley>
    Last edited by ducasi; 12th-March-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: remove "inappropriate" image. ;)

*makes a note from the thanks to her post above who not to share a chalet with at a weekender*

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Bicarbonate of soda.

Sprinkle some in your shoes over night, then chuck it out in the morning. Works a treat.

I've also taken, once they aren't smelly anymore, to spraying mine with one of those scented deodorant sprays once in a while - or putting the spray on my feet before wearing them.

The other thing is the bags you store your shoes in. I used plastic bags at one point, which was a disaster . I made myself a large bag out of an old piece of linen, and a lavender bag to put inside it, and that seems to keep my shoes pretty fresh as well.

Bergamot aromatherapy oil is also a good deodorant, i put dried lavender in small bags and add a few drops of bergamot oil every so often and store my shoes with the bag inside the foot, works for sandals as well.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    For closed shoes, I think I've found the perfect solution HERE they're cheap, under £3 for a pack of 10 and I promise they work.
    Tried it
    I've tried loads of, talc and foot sprays and shoe deodorizers
    Tried it
    A friend has recommended using the anti-bacterial hand gel,
    Tried it
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Bicarbonate of soda.
    Tried it
    Even put all my shoes, one pair at a time, into the sterilizer at the gym.
    They all worked til I wore them again
    Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I swear mine are so bad that I'm sure they could be used as rats repellent.
    Yep, mine are still like that!

The problem is I try these things once the shoes start smelling instead of from new. Too late once they start humming.

So glad I'm not the only one... will try the bicarbonate of soda tip, ANYTHING has to be better than those shoes...ugh...

I wipe the insides of my closed in dance shoes with Sterets (mini alcohol wipes) when I get home if I remember. It works quite well. Again, I think it has to be done from new, though. I haven't tried them on my sandals yet but my next new pair will try it out.

I had a dance partner that had terribly stinky feet when she danced in tights.

The smell was so bad it made my eyes water in the car on the way home and she had to either hang her feet out of the passengers side window or I had to drive with my window wide open even in winter.

We tried everything including washing her feet in alcohol (being a scientist has its uses) before going out dancing in the hope that any bacteria present (it is bacterial degradation of sweat that causes most odours) would be killed off. That was only partially succesful.

What really worked was her dancing in socks. Obviosly these can spoil the look of many of ladies outfits so she changed her look to go along with the socks. She chose ankle socks with a lace top and adopted the 1950s bobby socks rock and roll look. End of foot odour problems and a warm and draught free journey home in the car.

Bicarbonate of soda - I personally found, doesn't work it simply becomes like an abrasive and strips your skin off the foot. Can however, really recommend it mixed with detergent to clean out the oven though does a great job!

Why not steal the spray from the bowling alley? Bowling shoes are always bowling fresh....

Seriously though, I have the same problem with my football boots/trainers and I found febreze and a good airing to work best.

I agree with Frolicols. A couple of months ago I could hardly bear to open my car boot but now a bottle of Febreze lives in the boot amongst all my dance shoes for all emergency pongs.

Thank you to all who have given hints on how to solve a very pertinent problem amongst us dancers. I still can't fathom why my dance shoes smell so badly after wearing them for only a few hours. I can wear my day shoes all day and all evening and I don't have any problems with odours
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Thread Information