View Poll Results: Take me to your leader....

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a woman and I enjoy dancing with a female lead.

29 28.71%
  • I am a woman and I don't mind dancing with a female lead if there aren't any available men.

18 17.82%
  • I am a woman and I don't like dancing with a female lead.

8 7.92%
  • I am a man - women leading is fine by me!

39 38.61%
  • I am a man and I don't mind women leading if there aren't any available men.

7 6.93%
  • I am a man and I don't think women should lead.

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women Dancing as Men

Bardsey

If the women stand around like lemons won't they become bitter ?

ps How do you 'highlight' other peoples quotes

Originally posted by stewart38
    Bardsey

You just leave the and [/QUOTE] in place

oops that didn't work either. Anyway, you leave the B quotes in place.....sorry

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    How do you 'highlight' other peoples quotes
    May I refer the honourable gentleman to this

Bardsey

or a bit dried up and wrinkled if they wait toooooooo long!

Originally posted by Sandy
    or a bit dried up and wrinkled if they wait toooooooo long!
    Or just compete sour-puss's (I had to be careful how I typed that )

Re: ooops hit the send button too soon

Originally posted by Bardsey
    AS I WAS SAYING...... the women who DON'T like it, then tough. Stand around like a lemon instead!
    Be careful using the "l" word
    http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...n&pagenumber=5

Neil.

Re: ooops hit the send button too soon

AS I WAS SAYING...... the women who DON'T like it, then tough. Stand around like a lemon instead!

you know if the guys were saying this and refering to the women standing around as dried up lemons.. Blimey would the preverbial hit the fan or what !!!!

Re: Re: ooops hit the send button too soon

Originally posted by Mikey
    you know if the guys were saying this and refering to the women standing around as dried up lemons.. Blimey would the preverbial hit the fan or what !!!!
    Yep, sometimes you just can't win!

Originally posted by Sheena
    As a taxi-dancer I regularly dance as a man and I've never yet had any of the women I've had to partner complain about it (to my knowledge at least ). In fact when I dance the lead in the intemediate class some of the women seem absolutely delighted to end up dancing with me. I think a lot of that is down to the "using their strength" aspect of some of the newer intermediate male dancers. Being a woman and knowing how it feels to be wrenched into some moves makes me less likely to do that type of thing as a leader - I hope anyway *fingers crossed*
    How about calling it dancing as leader ? I have had plenty of dances where the "woman" is determined to do her thing that she is in effect leading
    I did the beginner's plus workshop on Saturday as a man and it was great! I would definitely recommend it.

I do think it would be very helpful if the guys danced the follower's part every now and then. Especially those guys who make you do twenty spins in a row or the ones who insist on doing drops on a busy dance floor - they might get the idea when it's their head that's an inch away from someone else's feet.
    At Hipsters (in Lindy) It is positively recommended that the positions are reversed. Rena suggests that you do the beginners lindy class twice through as your normal self and then do it again as your other self (as it were). It is scary but as you say atleast you know what you are doing (or not doing) to your dance partner. Whats more I found I could explain (when necessary)what was going wrong in terms my partner could understand.

At Bognor this year I swapped roles to do one of Nelson's classes much to the amusement (and confusion) of those arround. But I learnt how to correctly lead one move that I had been getting wrong, once I had experienced it being led (wrong) to me.
    And I don't pretend to be a man when I'm leading - I'm still very much a girl
    and even the Magregster manages to remain male ....well relatively .... even when doing Lily

Re: Re: ooops hit the send button too soon

Originally posted by Mikey
    Ah well that's a female prerogative.... we can say it, but woe betide any man who whould utter such a thing

Re: Re: Re: ooops hit the send button too soon

Ah well that's a female prerogative.... we can say it, but woe betide any man who whould utter such a thing
    Ooops sorry, my spellings off, not woken up yet! Whould or should, that's the question.....sorry, I'll go back to sleep now zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This is just a test

Originally posted by Emma
    May I refer the honourable gentleman to this
    It works ?

Re: Women Dancing as Men

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena
    As a taxi-dancer I regularly dance as a man and I've never yet had any of the women I've had to partner complain about it (to my knowledge at least ). In fact when I dance the lead in the intemediate class some of the women seem absolutely delighted to end up dancing with me. I think a lot of that is down to the "using their strength" aspect of some of the newer intermediate male dancers. Being a woman and knowing how it feels to be wrenched into some moves makes me less likely to do that type of thing as a leader - I hope anyway *fingers crossed*

I did the beginner's plus workshop on Saturday as a man and it was great! I would definitely recommend it.

And I don't pretend to be a man when I'm leading - I'm still very much a girl
    I also dance the lead regularly - I started doing it because there weren't enough men, but actually now I like it! I sometimes dance with the men, but they're often quite difficult to lead and will turn in the wrong directions even if your lead is quite clear! They have mostly said to me that it does give them some idea of how difficult spinning and some moves are to follow though. And I sometimes try this with beginner men to get them to understand that their lead is too strong/too weak.

I like dancing with women as I find I can express the music better when leading - especially if it's something with breaks and interesting bits in it. Often I'd rather lead with a bluesy song than have a man lead me and not bother interpreting the music - at least I try to do this!

I have done both beginner and intermediate workshops as a man, and got a lot out of them. I also dance the lead a lot when I'm taxi dancing and like Sheena a lot of the women seem very pleased to dance with me (Including the more experienced women, which is flattering). You do get the odd girl who seems to doubt your sexual orientation though! I tend to grin and let them know I'm happily married, but some still don't like dancing with women - Oh well their loss!

If any of you guys are at a Peterborough/St Neots/Bedford freestyle I'd be happy to dance with you - lead, follow, male or female!!!

Trish

Oh yes me please Trish!
    I was asked for 3 dances on the trot once by a 'leading' lady, I must say it did freak me out a bit at the time.

I learned to dance the lead 'cos I wanted to dance and not be a 'bitter lemon' but I'm afraid it never feels the same to me.

To me dancing as a woman it feels like a rollercoaster ride, but more relaxing, it is a feeling experience not a thinking one - I'm almost in a trance. At the end of a dance I'm not sure what has happened.

This doesn't happen when I lead because I'm locked into a thinking mode almost all of the time. I feel the responsibilty for leading (arm wrestling would be easier with some women), interpreting the music, watching for interlopers, avoiding boobs, doing entertaining moves, thinking of the next move is so draining I don't enjoy the dance and get into the zone in the same way. Also I get bored with my moves. If I ask an experienced lady to dance, it feels great and I can start to feel the music, but I feel like I am wasting her time and I'm so unworthy.

I like to see men dance together for a laugh, although they scare me if they get very good at the feminine things (that's you Andy...).
    I saw Viktor lead Amir in salsa at Southport. Amir was absolultey animated afterwards, I don't think he'd realised how much fun salsa could be.

Neither had I....

A good female lead can teach you some lovely stylish moves while you are dancing. She can show you how to put in that little extra bit that makes your dancing look much better. I frequently dance with Sheena who has taught me some fabulous elegant and even sexy moves. Thanks for the dance last night Sheena

Sandy

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I frequently dance with Sheena who has taught me some fabulous elegant and even sexy moves.
    Other way about I think Sandy
    You're fab to dance with, and we always have such fun, I'll miss you at the party on Saturday but enjoy the wedding and we'll catch up next time.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator

On the other side of the coin, I often see guys dancing together now. Think it started as a bit of fun, but I often see Auzzie David from Dundee dance as a follower with Jive Brummie, and Dave Hancock, and he does it so well. I've also watched him dance as the lead, and he's very good at that too..

I have followed Lorna, Sheena and Sparkles and enjoyed every minute of it. I just love partner dancing! All three of them were brilliant leaders I must say. I want to learn to lead eventually because I want to dance with my daughter. She's not quite sixteen yet so I can't bring her to ceroc until she's eighteen and if I learn to lead we can dance at home and at family functions! Hey! I did teach a boy and girl a kinda ceroc dance for the school show recently though! And I had to lead them both at various times during rehearsals... They were much better than I could ever have hoped mostly because of her bravery, suppleness and his balance in a lift they made up themselves. The other moves I pinched from various workshops I have been on...thanks Franck, Amir and Andy and especially Sheena!

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    On the other side of the coin, I often see guys dancing together now. Think it started as a bit of fun, but I often see Auzzie David from Dundee dance as a follower with Jive Brummie, and Dave Hancock, and he does it so well. I've also watched him dance as the lead, and he's very good at that too..
    Yes, have to admit to a bit of 'cross-dancing' and would even go as far to say, I enjoy it too.

If any guy's reading this get a chance to dance with David Chu from Dundee/Perth, then i strongly recommend you do...he is a fantastic leader and follower. I would even say that it has improved my dancing a wee bit too, because he made me realise how tricky it can be to sometimes follow certain moves and hence, has hopefully made me a more considerate dancer........

and besides all that, we have a right good laugh to boot.

james x x

Thread Information