View Poll Results: Take me to your leader....

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a woman and I enjoy dancing with a female lead.

29 28.71%
  • I am a woman and I don't mind dancing with a female lead if there aren't any available men.

18 17.82%
  • I am a woman and I don't like dancing with a female lead.

8 7.92%
  • I am a man - women leading is fine by me!

39 38.61%
  • I am a man and I don't mind women leading if there aren't any available men.

7 6.93%
  • I am a man and I don't think women should lead.

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women Dancing as Men

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Women Dancing as Men

Originally posted by stewart38
    I'm against women dancing as men (unless there is a large excess of women,ownly as I have been told a lot of women don't like it)
    Poll Time!!!

Re: Women Dancing as Men

Originally posted by Emma
    Poll Time!!!

oooo.. Andy Magregor is going to be your best friend ever... He has being waiting for this i think..

Read carefully, Mikey..I am talking about women dancing as men, not vice versa!!

Originally posted by Emma
    Read carefully, Mikey..I am talking about women dancing as men, not vice versa!!
    i read that hun.. which means Andy can be the woman in his glory at last !!! Blimey, he dresses enough for the part..

The Perfect Woman!
    Glad someone did this...

I quite often dance as a 'lead' if there are alot of women having to wait... I get the impression that quite alot of women don't like it..

I only do it because I'd rather dance than stand around, but I feel that I am regarded as having 'other' (!) motives....

Anyone else feel the same ??

I did it because I really wasn't sure..I dance as a lead regularly..and though I have had one or two very slightly off reactions I'm not convinced that this counts as 'most'. Plus this is usually from women I don't know (hey maybe they don't like my perfume!!)....also from the other point of view I now quite often have woman ask me to dance as a lead with them, which I consider very flattering...anyway...hmmm..hence the poll....

Originally posted by foxylady
    regarded as having 'other' (!) motives....

Not quite the same, but I recall a fateful day several years ago in a venue that shall not be named, when the venue manager decreed that the taxi dancers (of which I was one, should all dance as girls in the beginners review class, because there were quite a lot of guys over.

Hooooo boy... what a kin disaster that was

The beginner guys absolutely HATED it (and I didn't exactly enjoy it myself). I would absolutely refuse to do that now - it was a colossal mistake.

But hilarious in retrospect...

Chris

Glad someone did this...

I quite often dance as a 'lead' if there are alot of women having to wait... I get the impression that quite alot of women don't like it..

I only do it because I'd rather dance than stand around, but I feel that I am regarded as having 'other' (!) motives....

i don't think there are many women who would take offence to be honest.. i know a few women who are very good leads and i can see that in thier dancing too.. and in general there are more men that women at venues throughout.. you probably find it more aceptable at a weekender event as opposed to a class night unless you are well known there...

Originally posted by ChrisA
    Not quite the same, but I recall a fateful day several years ago in a venue that shall not be named, when the venue manager decreed that the taxi dancers (of which I was one, should all dance as girls in the beginners review class, because there were quite a lot of guys over.

Hooooo boy... what a kin disaster that was

The beginner guys absolutely HATED it (and I didn't exactly enjoy it myself). I would absolutely refuse to do that now - it was a colossal mistake.

But hilarious in retrospect...
    it can be very tough for the guys to dance as a woman and i think it's a good thing for all the guys to try at least once.. can be a real eye opener as to how they move the ladies and just how much they spin too !!!

I was quite surprised by Stewart's post and then foxylady's comment along similar lines. Until now I always had the impression that most women were fine with it - in fact I know of a couple of women who are really popular when they lead in a class because they're much nicer to dance with than a lot of the beginner men!

Thing is, women sometimes become leaders (which is fine by me) but I don't think they dance "as men" - they dance as women leaders. Women have a different insight into other women, and a different rapport to the one a man can establish, which makes it fascinating to watch. Not so hot personally on watching women trying to be 'macho' but some people might enjoy the 'fun' aspect of that.

When I lead I try to dramatise the man's part, playing an archetypal role. I'd like to hear more from women who dance 'from the inside out' as someone said recently (and dance the lead a lot) and understand the places they're coming from. To me, a greater idea of the feminine also accentuates and highlights the ideas of masculinity. There's also feminine qualities that a man draws on in dancing - sensitivity and empathy to name just two - so seeing how women employ these things as one woman to another - one leading and another following - can be fab.

Go with the flow - follow your dancing spirit wherever it takes you!

The Perfect Woman!
    Originally posted by Graham
    I was quite surprised by Stewart's post and then foxylady's comment along similar lines. Until now I always had the impression that most women were fine with it - in fact I know of a couple of women who are really popular when they lead in a class because they're much nicer to dance with than a lot of the beginner men!
    Its fine if they know you... but if they don't sometimes the body language is pretty plain (even when I'm wearing my taxi t-shirt) .... and sometimes they assume that as you are not a man they need to tell you what to do (ref one very strange lady in a Norwich dance class) , and I've even once seen someone drop out of the line, having counted on and realising that they would end up with me...

Now I've never knowingly had a man do that to me

But then hey, it doesn't bother me, as I said I'd rather be dancing...

Quote: About Taxi dancers all dancing AS GIRLS:The beginner guys absolutely HATED it (and I didn't exactly enjoy it myself). I would absolutely refuse to do that now - it was a colossal mistake.

Yep i would hate it too both ways i am sure it is just a man thing and silly but until............. me thinks will stay that way.

Now an entirely different matter is getting the opportunity to dance with a female being the leader!!!!!!!

EVERYBODY SAYS IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR OWN LEADING. So i am all for it.............WHAT HAVE YOU STARTED EMMA.

Thinking.......................................... ..................................................

Present Status=Beginner /improver status...............No fear now of making a complete fool of myself...............................

WITH WOMEN LEADING........................................... .........................
    Present Status= complete Buffoon..............Back to the drawing board.......again................And how long before no fear status............with women leading...........................that would be interesting

Originally posted by michael
    Now an entirely different matter is getting the opportunity to dance with a female being the leader!!!!!!!
    Absolutely. Whenever I'm taxiing, if I get the other taxi after the rotation, we always swap round and dance each other's role.

I'm pretty rubbish, but it can only be a good thing, and I'm not as rubbish as I was.

Chris

EVERYBODY SAYS IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR OWN LEADING. So i am all for it.............WHAT HAVE YOU STARTED EMMA.

Thinking.......................................... ..................................................

Present Status=Beginner /improver status...............No fear now of making a complete fool of myself...............................

WITH WOMEN LEADING........................................... .........................
    Present Status= complete Buffoon..............Back to the drawing board.......again................And how long before no fear status............with women leading...........................that would be interesting
    I think there are many men who would benifit from the experience of been led by a woman.. So often do i hear the ladies say "he leads so roughly" men forget thier strenght in the enthusiasm to lead well or just to execute the move at all costs !!!:sorry I have on many occasions taken a new male dancer who is struggling with his partnre, made him do the female part of a move and it seems to make them realise what they themselves are trying to achieve with the woman by leading...

Now I've never knowingly had a man do that to me
    I take it you mean the dropping out of line part rather than the telling you what to do part

Originally posted by Mikey
    i think it's a good thing for all the guys to try at least once.. can be a real eye opener as to how they move the ladies and just how much they spin too !!![/i]
    Yeah, totally agree, but not when they're already feeling out of their depth even dancing with girls.

I'll dance as follower with a girl leading as often as I can in the beginners classes, but I'm not a good enough follower to ham it up with another guy (anyone ever see Viktor and Mick dancing together - the funniest thing ever ), and other than when camping it up, I have to confess it feels a bit creepy to me...

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by ChrisA
    Yeah, totally agree, but not when they're already feeling out of their depth even dancing with girls.

I'll dance as follower with a girl leading as often as I can in teh beginners classes, but I'm not a good enough follower to ham it up with another guy (anyone ever see Viktor and Mick dancing together - the funniest thing ever ), and other than when camping it up, I have to confess it feels a bit creepy to me...
    There's nothing wrong with dancing as a follower. I do it whenever I can... I think that I had more dances with DavidB than with Lily on Saturday night

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    There's nothing wrong with dancing as a follower.
    Er... did I say there was?

Once I'm a better follower, just look out guys...

The Oracle
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    I think that I had more dances with DavidB than with Lily on Saturday night
    Thanks for not mentioning the 10 seconds when I tried to follow!

I have now tried following 5 times, for a combined total of about 60 seconds. I freely admit I'm crap at it! I would get Lily to try leading me occasionally, but I might have to literally put her on a pedestal

Thread Information