Thread: Microsoft Office Live Workspace

Blog Entries

Microsoft Office Live Workspace

Just got an invite to try the Beta of this.

It's a place to store files online so you can access them anywhere, share them with colleagues, partners, friends etc.
    You can have multiple names workspaces, organise them into projects etc.

I'm liking the look of it so far. As a freelance contractor, I often find myself not able to access important information because clients won't let me bring hardware or data on site; so this looks like a great solution to me.

The only concern I would have is that I may become too dependant on it find myself up the creek when it isn't working (not that that would ever happen to Microsoft products ).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Microsoft Office Live Workspace

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Just got an invite to try the Beta of this.

It's a place to store files online so you can access them anywhere, share them with colleagues, partners, friends etc.
    You can have multiple names workspaces, organise them into projects etc.

I'm liking the look of it so far. As a freelance contractor, I often find myself not able to access important information because clients won't let me bring hardware or data on site; so this looks like a great solution to me.

The only concern I would have is that I may become too dependant on it find myself up the creek when it isn't working (not that that would ever happen to Microsoft products ).
    old hat - ive used google docs and zoho for that for years (zoho only a couple of times where google docs was blocked for some daft reason)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    old hat - ive used google docs and zoho for that for years (zoho only a couple of times where google docs was blocked for some daft reason)
    I guess the big difference (which I've only just found) is that if you install the add-on, it means that you can work on office documents in directly in your browser (including FireFox!) and adds toolbars to office apps to save directly to your live space.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

ooh perhaps slighly less clumsy than saving as a doc and uploading. I'm not convinced its any better for me, but perhaps its handy for people who must use office for some reason (not that i can think of one ). What i find most handy is Gmail - when you have a document attachment you simply open it in directly google docs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    ooh perhaps slighly less clumsy than saving as a doc and uploading. I'm not convinced its any better for me, but perhaps its handy for people who must use office for some reason (not that i can think of one ). What i find most handy is Gmail - when you have a document attachment you simply open it in directly google docs.
    Ahhhh, horses for courses then. I don't have Gmail.

I've just been reading a bit that was saying there's no need for attachments to emails with this because if you share your documents everyone can just open it in a browser.
    I guess it'll be good for some not for others. I'd rather not use Microsoft Office really, but all my clients insist on it. That being the case, it'd be fairly pointless me using OpenOffice of something else the rest of the time.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Ive used .doc files with OpenOffice for years and no one i have sent documents to has ever complained - or, as far as i know, even noticed

Hi DS, could you please tell me more about Gmail? I'm about to buy a notebook to take to BA and I'm wondering about the email options available to me.

Ta chuck,

Toasti

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

well I've used Gmail for everything for some time - I pick up all my pop3 mail through it and filter and label it - and I can send emails out to appear as if they come from any email address i use. I can search through the content of all mails when i forget where something was. I often open attachments directly in google docs to carry on editing them and can share them for collaboration from there. All you need to do is sign up for an account. No other online email package comes close. (and yes, you can backup your emails easily - you can use your gmail account as if it's a pop3/imap server too)

Thread Information