Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to CerocPort 13-16th march

Travelling to CerocPort 13-16th march

Hello all,

I am from Aberdeen and have booked for the March Ceroc weekender at Southport. I am looking to see if there is anyone from aberdeen, dundee who is travelling and has a spare seat in their car..

cheers

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: Travelling to CerocPort 13-16th march

Can i hijack your thread please?

I am looking for someone who has a space in their car travelling from London. Would like to travel early to mid on Friday and back on monday but will consider coming back on Sunday if needs must.

Can anyone help?

[quote=drathzel;536653]Can i hijack your thread please?

You didn't leave me with a chance to answer to that lol

your more than welcome to hijack the thread and good luck in getting ur travel arrangement sorted.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Ha ha, i didnt did i!

I am still looking for a lift, have had an offer but would prefer to travel slightly earlier on the friday.

Can anyone help me, or suggest other ways of traveling to southport?

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    Can anyone help me, or suggest other ways of traveling to southport?
    Virgin trains from Euston takes about 21/2 hours to Liverpool.

From Liverpool you change stations from Lime Street to Central (about a 5 min walk) and get the local train to Ainsdale that takes about 1/2 hour. Then you then get a taxi to Pontins about 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post

From Liverpool you change stations from Lime Street to Central (about a 5 min walk) and get the local train to Ainsdale that takes about 1/2 hour. Then you then get a taxi to Pontins about 2 minutes.
    Ant, you don't have to walk from Liverpool Lime Street Station to Liverpool Central Station.

At Lime Street, take the lift to the Underground.

Get on any train, but only go one stop.

Take the lift up to the Southport line.

This line is not at ground level.

get on the train marked Southport (not Ormskirsk)

Alight at Ainsdale.

All step free.

PS. it's free to use the underground on your ticket.

Don't let the ticket office at Euston sell you a ticker where you have to change at Crewe. It's cheaper, but much longer.

I noticed that www.ceroclondon.com have still not corrected their escape website.

There is no mention of Ainsdale Railway Station. It mentions Southport, Lythan and Salwick all 6 miles away.
    Last edited by Astro; 2nd-March-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Don't let the ticket office at Euston sell you a ticker where you have to change at Crewe. It's cheaper, but much longer.
    Now why wouldn't you want to go to Crewe, lol?

I too need a lift from NW London to Southport, if anyone can help me out...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post
    I too need a lift from NW London to Southport, if anyone can help me out...
    Me too, from N London
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    or suggest other ways of traveling to southport?
    Hovercraft... helicopter.... pogo stick.......spacehopper......unicycle...

how many ways do you need???

I going to Utopia (Twickenham) first then driving up when it finishes at 1am. Should get to Southport no later than 6am. If anyone wants a lift please contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Hovercraft... helicopter.... pogo stick.......spacehopper......unicycle...

how many ways do you need???
    submarine............space shuttle + parachute.....elephant ride.....roller skates........ omnibus..... perambulator.......dumper truck.......glider.......powerboat....

stop me any time you want......

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I going to Utopia (Twickenham) first then driving up when it finishes at 1am. Should get to Southport no later than 6am. If anyone wants a lift please contact me.
    This reminds me of something it might be worth pointing out (not specifically aimed here as Miguel may be well rested before Utopia).

Taking the train has the relative benefit in that drivers returning from Pontins haven't always had much sleep in recent days, or gone to bed at a sensible hour Monday morning.

A difficulty with a lift, is when you don't know how your driver treats the idea of sleep. It may be a long journey trying to keep him/her awake.

I'd encourage people offering lifts to be explicit about how they treat the idea of sleep.

From Liverpool you change stations from Lime Street to Central (about a 5 min walk) and get the local train to Ainsdale that takes about 1/2 hour.
    It may be worth pointing out that this particular Friday there is a bus replacement service for trains from North Liverpool to Southport (via Ainsdale) instead of trains. Bus replacement services sometimes don't make provision for luggage, which may be a problem at peak time (commuters returning from Liverpool towards Southport).

There is an alternative route via Wigan (under 2hrs from London) and Southport which is faster in some circumstances (in this case it results in a shorter and probably less busy bus journey on Friday). Getting a lift from Southport station to Pontins would avoid the bus journey, as would taking a taxi (not sure of the cost).

Then you then get a taxi to Pontins about 2 minutes.
    Are there taxis available at Ainsdale ? Perhaps it is necessary to pre-book ?

I believe Lynn mentioned something about wheeled luggage being important if walking from Ainsdale to Southport.

Don't let the ticket office at Euston sell you a ticket where you have to change at Crewe. It's cheaper, but much longer
    Specifically it is cheaper with London Midland specific tickets. Sometimes much cheaper is worth much slower.

The off peak ticket price for Virgin is £67.50. Super off peak ticket for London Midland (covers a similar time) is £20.00 to Crewe and £14.90 for an all routes anytime ticket to Ainsdale from Crewe (£34.90) total.

After the 2:40 PM train on Friday the Virgin ticket goes from £67.50->£240.00. A little earlier the London Midland ticket goes from £20.00 -> £30.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Why risk it. You could get lost at Crewe. It is a big place and they haven't quite picked the idea of passenger information.

London -> Stafford then Stafford->Liverpool is the fastest London Midland. You 'change' at Crewe by the train stopping. No need to ever set foot in Crewe.

www.ceroclondon.com have still not corrected their escape website.

There is no mention of Ainsdale Railway Station. It mentions Southport, Lythan and Salwick all 6 miles away.
    The correct text for the stations that matter is:-

Ainsdale 0.81 miles Merseyrail (no taxis)
    Southport 4.2 miles Merseyrail.

^^ but Crewe is ace (as I live there just a 10 minute walk from the station). The station ain't that big. If I can follow it, anyone can.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    There is an alternative route via Wigan (under 2hrs from London) and Southport which is faster in some circumstances (in this case it results in a shorter and probably less busy bus journey on Friday). Getting a lift from Southport station to Pontins would avoid the bus journey, as would taking a taxi (not sure of the cost).
    Depending on what time you travel there is sometimes a one hour gap between connections if you miss the planned one, due to delays on the line that happen alot. That is why I try to avoid that route, as the trains are every 15 minutes from Liverpool.. The walk from the two Wigan stations is about 100 yards.

I thought you could get the train on the same line as Liverpool to Ainsdale but going the other way from Southport to Ainsdale, 2 stops to Ainsdale. Or is this interupted by the engineering works?

You do have to phone for a taxi and can prebook. I normally phone when on the local leg. The company I have used in the past and always found reliable is on 01704 531000. The cost is about £3.

Finally consider the following:

If you are travelling from N or NW London you should check out picking up the train from Watford Junction.

If you are on a budget consider either the Megabus of National Express coach services (you can pick up a ticket for £5 sometimes) to Liverpool from Victoria, this takes about 5 hours. I don't think the National Express service goes direct to/from Pontins this time of the year but it does in June and September but book separately from London to Liverpool and then to Pontins if it does.
    Last edited by ant; 2nd-March-2009 at 08:04 PM.

I believe Lynn mentioned something about wheeled luggage being important if walking from Ainsdale to Southport.
    We had a tel no of a local taxi firm and rang when we arrived the past couple of times - well some of the others did... I think I may have once got a taxi from the train station - which means the other 9 times I was there I walked.

I was more inclined to get a taxi back to the train on Mon mornings - my feet were too sore to walk far at that point!

Ant, you don't have to walk from Liverpool Lime Street Station to Liverpool Central Station.
    Half of the trains from London to Liverpool stop at Liverpool South Parkway. Change here straight onto the Ainsdale line. Overall, it takes a little bit longer than changing in Liverpool, but it's only about 150yds and two lifts from one line to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Oh, Mr. Porter! I left my luggage in Crewe.
    Specifically it is cheaper with London Midland specific tickets. Sometimes much cheaper is worth much slower.
    The difference quoted to me was about a tenner, but it would take 4hrs 40 mins and more specifically, I would be tied to specific train times. Unlike the deal that cost a bit more.
    The off peak ticket price for Virgin is £67.50. Super off peak ticket for London Midland (covers a similar time) is £20.00 to Crewe and £14.90 for an all routes anytime ticket to Ainsdale from Crewe (£34.90) total.
    How do you get Super off Peak tickets? They told me there is no discount for buying ahead, except on the Crewe changeover route.

I am used to travelling from Kings X and Paddington, much simpler ticket system.

Why risk it. You could get lost at Crewe. It is a big place and they haven't quite picked the idea of passenger information.

London -> Stafford then Stafford->Liverpool is the fastest London Midland. You 'change' at Crewe by the train stopping. No need to ever set foot in Crewe.
    And you only got 10 minutes to change.
    All trains go to Crewe, so they say.

The correct text for the stations that matter is:-

Ainsdale 0.81 miles Merseyrail (no taxis)
    Southport 4.2 miles Merseyrail.
    There is a number for the taxi selotaped to the window at the station. Very quick, but they like you to stand on the roadside.

Thread Information