View Poll Results: Dips and Drops, Do You or Don't You Ask

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a lead and I always ask before I dip/drop

12 28.57%
  • I'm a lead and I make an educated guess before I dip/drop rather than asking

9 21.43%
  • I'm a follow and I expect always to be asked before I am dipped/dropped

17 40.48%
  • I'm a follow and I am am happy to be dipped/dropped without asking

4 9.52%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dips and Drops - Do You or Don't You?

Re: Dips and Drops - Do You or Don't You?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It's simple really - if they attempt something that is against the rules, tell them not to. Or if you're too chicken like me, get the organiser to do it.
    Sam, we know that you're the shy, retiring type really

I can see the rules approach working where it is small and intimate. But once you get to the bigger numbers you'd need an army of 'officials' to police the floor. Mind you, then we could have them stopping people from yanking, or even blowing raspberries into cleavages

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    Sam, we know that you're the shy, retiring type really
    If you'd bothered to ask me to dance recently, you might be qualified to know something, anything about me.

stopping people from yanking
    Filthy habit! You'll go blind

or blowing raspberries into cleavages
    I'll be on my guard next time and I certainly wont need an army of officials to bitch slap him into the middle of next week.

I tend to be dipped and dropped a lot - and can only remember one injury that was a result of a dip/drop (I think the guy thought he was being 'helpful' by having his leg out to 'support' me when he pulled me off balance - but just ended up making me bend awkwardly and hurt my back). Had more injuries from simple moves done roughly/badly. Maybe because when going into a dip/drop I do tend to try to take my own weight/balance, I'm prepared and alert to possible problems - wheras I don't expect to be injured doing a basket (but it has happened!)

As with everything - it depends on who I am dancing with. Some leads I know and trust and they can pick me up/drop me and I'm quite confident in their ability and that they know what they are doing.

Having said all that - its nice to be asked. I can't do dips/drops at the moment as recovering from major abdominal surgery - and someone who didn't know this tried to drop me last week at my first Ceroc night out. I'm another one who has noticed CJ's 'are you ok for dips and drops tonight' and really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    If you'd bothered to ask me to dance recently, you might be qualified to know something, anything about me.
    Funny, my wife said exactly the same thing to me the last time we were out dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I asked his name, but can't remember it. Not an unusual name, maybe Ian?
    Remembered now, it was John or Jon (Ian is Celtic variation of John)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Having said all that - its nice to be asked. I can't do dips/drops at the moment as recovering from major abdominal surgery - and someone who didn't know this tried to drop me last week at my first Ceroc night out.
    No! Hope you are OK Lynn. Very gentle

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Particularly where you don’t know the lead. How would most of you guys feel if you asked someone to dance (or indeed they asked you) and they started saying “don’t do xyz”?
    Happens from time to time with followers who have an injury (or recovering injury) of some sort. It's fine and indeed welcome. I wouldn't want every follower starting every dance by saying "I do/don't do drops", and I wouldn't want every leader starting every dance by asking "do you do drops?".

I tend to let people know if I do have any sort of injury that might mean I don't want to be dropped or dipped. People tend to do it to me a lot, and one of the things I find really difficult is avoiding these moves with people I don't totally trust...so I tend to try and avoid dancing with them altogether! I always appreciate it if a new lead asks me before they dip or drop me but I don't expect people I dance with regularly to do so.

I've only had one injury from dips and that was quite recently by a guy I love dancing with, and am very used to dips and drops with him. He very quickly flung me into a back bend (not sure how he managed it, it happened so fast!) but as he put me back, he left one or two of his fingers sticking up which pressed really hard into my back - could feel the bruise for days.

The best drop I ever seen was Trouble at ice a couple of years ago

'TheTor' asked her while in a drop...'do you think I look butch'

Troubles face as she came up eerrr nnnooo

you big fibber

I have voted i'm ok with them, most time I am, some old chap asked me last night and I said 'eeer no I think its a bit to busy in hear tonight for them'

I was worried he could jank me back up

I don't let 'Richard' 'the corps' do them on me he's allways trying but I can feel it coming and I say to him 'OI what have I told you about doing them on me stop it'

King of the drops is REV DROP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Feet View Post
    I tend to let people know if I do have any sort of injury that might mean I don't want to be dropped or dipped. {snip} I always appreciate it if a new lead asks me before they dip or drop me but I don't expect people I dance with regularly to do so.

Weirdly enough, the only time I've ever got injured from a drop was in a dips/drops class (The bloke just yanked me into a drop and jarred my hip )

And, like Lynn, I too am recovering from abdominal surgery so think it will be some time before I'm even considering dips/drops (even with those I know) So until then I'll be providing a warning as I walk onto the floor... (unfortunate but necessary)

I don't see what all the fuss is about with drops/dips, I think they are boring.

I'd much rather spend the time spinning.

Most people know I don't like them and no one drops me these days - except one dancer.

In the past have hurt my back, felt my knee ping, and pulled a muscle in my thigh during drops.

Also cracked my head on a woman who was also being dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I don't let 'Richard' 'the corps' do them on me he's allways trying but I can feel it coming and I say to him 'OI what have I told you about doing them on me stop it'
    I won't even let him to leans with me, as I don't feel he's stable enough - I fear that he'd pull me into one, we'd just keep going

Danced with him at Hammersmith on Saturday and he tried, I just refused to go, and at least he doesn't have the strength to insist

Thread Information