View Poll Results: What should the DJ's do?....

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • .. tailor the music, to meet the needs of the dancers coming from the Mainroom

0 0%
  • ...remain true to the vibe thats already been created

7 58.33%
  • ..gradually raise the tempo in the Blues room, so it doesn't become such a shock to the system

4 33.33%
  • gradually start to bring the tempo down in the Main room for the last half hour-ish?

7 58.33%
  • I have another idea.. see my post

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem solving.. what to do when the main room closes, and the influx to the COZ

Re: Problem solving.. what to do when the main room closes, and the influx to the COZ

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Such a large influx of people in the COZ room can only have an adverse effect on the atmosphere there, as well as physically interrupting the dancers already in there and it certainly changes the dynamics as most people are stating.
    As you say yourself, "the atmosphere changes ... but this may not necessarily be for the worse". Having done it from both sides, I appreciate the way those two energy levels interplay and reach resolution. Folks try out higher energy dancing to bluesy tracks, or more chilled out dancing to up-tempo tracks. It can bring out creativity in a way that more of the same might not, and is good to watch.

Re: Problem solving.. what to do when the main room closes, and the influx to the COZ

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post

Look on the bright side though - one thing this whole issue guarantees is that there will be something nice and easy to moan about when we all write our aftermath posts. It therefore saves us from having to think that hard or even make stuff up - not that we'd do that of course
    Its hardly moaning and this discusion has been moved from the aftermath thread to seperate it from that and i would hope we could discuss the down sides of a weekender without being told oh your just moaning and in this case the organisers have been praised for all thier hard work and sorting out problems as they were reported to them

however it is totaly valid as hopefully organisers will take note and
    firstly make sure they are supplying what they are advertising and secondly giving the majority of the dancers what they want

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ...that's why I created this thread, to make it more of a general discussion, as this is problem that occurs at most weekenders, whoever they're organized by
    Perhaps for smaller weekenders.

But as far as major weekenders go I think this is one instance where there is clear blue water.

You can choose a weekender which closes the main room early or one that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

You can choose a weekender which closes the main room early or one that doesn't.
    Talking generally, for the last 2 years I've noticed less variety in the Main room.

In 2005 and 2006 the music was much more varied ie. swing, disco, motown, rock, blues.

As a beginner I feel I had a much wider range to learn from.

Now, when DJ's play non pop, they play 5 in a row. It's like buses, you wait ages them 5 come along together.

Some of us in the blues room are actually refugees, so to be invaded by pop is unfair.

This happens at some freestyles.

Cool Re: Problem solving.. what to do when the main room closes, and the influx to the COZ

I've been reading this with interest and other similar threads.I just wonder what gives anybody the right to say 'Sorry you can only have my music after a certain time and if you don't like it then you can go to bed!'
    OK not literally, but I get the impression that some people really think that.
    The fact is Ceroc (or whoever) have promised x amount of people a weekend of dancing, no one has paid more for a particular type of music than anyone else, so the DJ's have the unenviable task of pleasing these multitudes for as long as possible. It is a shame really that the barrier between the two factions is growing wider, and it is only enforced by the fact that there are two defined rooms, and one has to close earlier.
    I don't really understand the mentality that you need to listen to one type of music all weekend and anything else just doesn't figure (well I did when I was about 14 probably!) Surely a change in tempo can't be that bad for half an hour, especially when you've already listened to your stuff for over 6 hours, and you probably will be again shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    It is a shame really that the barrier between the two factions is growing wider, and it is only enforced by the fact that there are two defined rooms, and one has to close earlier.
    I don't really understand the mentality that you need to listen to one type of music all weekend and anything else just doesn't figure (well I did when I was about 14 probably!) Surely a change in tempo can't be that bad for half an hour, especially when you've already listened to your stuff for over 6 hours, and you probably will be again shortly.
    I completely agree with you that it is a shame that one room has to close earlier that another. I guess this all comes down to the costs of keeping a room open and a DJ in attendance when the attendance in a particular room drops below a certain level.

Although I tend to spend most of my time in the blues room these days I personally don't feel there is a barrier between those that prefer the main room or those that prefer a blues room. Most people I know move between the two as the mood takes them. That is the crux of the matter. The rooms retain their musical identity and the punters make the choice, This is why it jars when the blues room goes poppy when the main room closes down.

Another way to look at it might be to ask how you might feel if you were having a blast in the main room, the blues room closes down and suddenly the main room goes bluesy for 45 minutes as a load of people swaying side to side suddenly come in?

The ideal solution is that all rooms stay open all the time. My own solution is to schedule a break for the time when the main room closes where I go back to the chalet, have something to eat, have a shower and get fresh clothes and head back to the dance floor. By that time things in the blues room have calmed down somewaht. It works for me but I understand some people just never get the will to return to the dance floor if they leave it.

A barrier bewteen the two groups? I don't feel it. I don't feel irritation towards the PEOPLE that come into the blues room just that there has to be a situation where they have no other choice. I often view it as an opportunity to corrupt some new people to the dark side of dancing in the blues room.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post

Although I tend to spend most of my time in the blues room these days I personally don't feel there is a barrier between those that prefer the main room or those that prefer a blues room. Most people I know move between the two as the mood takes them. That is the crux of the matter. The rooms retain their musical identity and the punters make the choice,

IMHO I really enjoy moving between the two rooms as the music isn't always to my taste therefore I have a better chance of being able to find what I want to dance.

The last two and half hours at Camber on the Sunday morning was pure Bliss and Mr John Baker really pulled out all the stops. I think all the DJ's in the COZ room did a great job

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    IMHO I really enjoy moving between the two rooms as the music isn't always to my taste
    Which is one of the main reasons that the layout at Southport works so well.

By the 3rd evening at Camber, I can hardly make it up the stairs
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Seems to me that if a dancer PAYS to go to a 2 room freestyle or a weekender ,then everything on offer, included in the price of their ticket, is available to them. If one room closes and another remains open, then they are legally entitled to make use of all of the rooms.

When the main room closes and the dancers from that room come into the blues room, they are entitled to do so, to deny them would be discriminating against them, just because a few big noises on this small Forum objects, is no reason to deny them their full use of all facilities on offer. A lot of heads need to be removed from a lot of ars*s.

Just a humble opinion of a dancer who can dance in both rooms. Obviously if any of them are westies then whipping is too good for them. Idea here pips, why dont we only allow certain body types into dancing, no short/tall, fat/thin types allowed.

Fan and faeces type situation rapidly approaching here pips. We have debated this issue to death with WCS and Jive on weekenders. There are laws about this sort of thing I think. You pay your money and you use the facilities on offer. A similar problem was highlighted at Skeggy with blues and WCS, the debate rages.

DTS XXX XXX
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 10th-March-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Seems to me that if a dancer PAYS to go to a 2 room freestyle or a weekender ,then everything on offer, included in the price of their ticket, is available to them. If one room closes and another remains open, then they are legally entitled to make use of all of the rooms.

When the main room closes and the dancers from that room come into the blues room, they are entitled to do so, to deny them would be discriminating against them, just because a few big noises on this small Forum objects, is no reason to deny them their full use of all facilities on offer. A lot of heads need to be removed from a lot of ars*s.

Just a humble opinion of a dancer who can dance in both rooms. Obviously if any of them are westies then whipping is too good for them. Idea here pips, why dont we only allow certain body types into dancing, no short/tall, fat/thin types allowed.

Fan and faeces type situation rapidly approaching here pips. We have debated this issue to death with WCS and Jive on weekenders. There are laws about this sort of thing I think. You pay your money and you use the facilities on offer. A similar problem was highlighted at Skeggy with blues and WCS, the debate rages.

DTS XXX XXX
    DTS, a humble dancer who has dabbled on the dark side with WCS, I know you would enjoy a good whipping

By the way I really enjoyed our dance in the fast bouncy room, god was that floor fast

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    DTS, a humble dancer who has dabbled on the dark side with WCS, I know you would enjoy a good whipping

By the way I really enjoyed our dance in the fast bouncy room, god was that floor fast
    Gerry I always enjoy our dances whether fast or slow. The only reason I am not sticking to WCS is that it would take me too long to be as comfortable as I am with Jive. I can dance as a lead or a follow with my eyes closed and still get all of the moves and have a good dance, I just cannot put the time and commitment into WCS that I have put into jive over the last 4 years. I like to laugh and mess about when I dance, I cannot do that with WCS as I am constantly counting in my head, I can dance or think, I am unable to do both mate.
    I did however have a stunning dance with Tatiana a couple of years ago and pulled her the length of the dance floor by her hair and she loved it.

DTS XXX XXX

DTS XXX XXX
    It seems I have completely misunderstood the point that was being talked about.

I THOUGHT that we talking about wether the music in the blues room should change when the main room closes and the people from there come through the blues room (presumably) on their way home. I don't think anyone ever said that they didn't have a legal right to use the blues room if they wished to dance blues. I must have missed that bit.

I THOUGHT the problem with the Skeggy Blues vs WCS debate was the blues lot saying that the westies took up too much room and the Westies delicately trying to avoid saying that the collisions were due to the MJ lot never really knowing where their next move would end.

I think the real solution here would be for weekender organisers to stop booking WCS pros from America and probably the westies would stop coming along. All in all if the only lessons at an MJ weekender were for MJ then you would probably have people only dancing MJ. The people at the MJ weekender would (presumably) be happy. The west coast, tango and blues dancers would presumably be somewhere else.

All I want is a blues room that plays only blues. A swing room that plays only swing. A bouncy room that only plays bouncy upbeat music. A tango room that only plays tango. Etc. Perhaps we should strip a multiplex cinema of seats and use one of those for the weekend.

All I need to do now is find a blues dance weekender.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

When the main room closes and the dancers from that room come into the blues room, they are entitled to do so, to deny them would be discriminating against them,
    I think most people would agree with you here and I don't think people think otherwise, the issue was more about changing the music in the blues room. Or did I misread?
    A main room should play main room music, a Blues room should have Blues Music but what does COZ stand for exactly? Maybe if we get that answered then the issue of what sort of music should be played could be answered too.

Edit. Looks like Chef and I had similar thoughts!
    Last edited by Cruella; 10th-March-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Read Chef's post.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I did however have a stunning dance with Tatiana a couple of years ago and pulled her the length of the dance floor by her hair and she loved it.
    A woman's screaming doesn't always mean she is being pleasured by you!

Listen sweetie the last time I pleasured a woman she never woke up. The time before that the pleasure was evident as I closed the door on the way out.

DTS XXX XXX

Thread Information