Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swish the Aftermath

Swish the Aftermath

To be honest I am only writing this as Lory asked (from the poll response i gather no one is really interested)
    Also i wanted to thank certain people for working so damn hard at trying to make it a superb weekend away

Potters

well what can i say
    accommodation was just about perfect in every way very clean and comfortable plenty of hot water in a power shower.
    tea and coffee

Food

too much and too good (the second part being the reason you had to do the first part)

The waitress on the station where we were sat could not have done more for us including getting me a banana knowing i was going to give it to someone as a joke

Entertainment
    We only watched the Sunday night cabaret due to friends from a local club winning a comp to dance with the potters crew and a new friend who is a classically trained soprano singing
    The rest of the show was at best Butlins style and quality although i heard from several people that the sat night show was amazing

Now the important bit

Main room well those that know me will guess i didnt dance in there apart from a couple of tracks on sat lunch time but from what i could see it was really done well nice chipboard floor just about perfect speed nice lighting and good atmosphere whenever we went past

Chill out room
    This was in one of the bars and had really nice comftable seating all around the floor which once we had danced on it for a couple of hours settled into a really nice place to play
    The only bad points were the possition of the bar meant you had to walk on the dance floor to get to it and the potters entertainment staff who decided to use that bar for the first two nights getting totally drunk and mucking about on the dance floorbumping into dancers etc
    i spoke to Karen about this on the sunday morning this was sorted on sunday night we didnt see them at all

Another bad point for me was that when the main room closed on saturday night Eric came to the chill out room and pumper up the tempo (admitedly the floor was full at all times when he did so) which really made it into a time extension of the main room

This is purely my personal opinion as others clearly enjoyed it but when i see something advertised as chill out thats what i think i am paying for and thats where i want to dance
    again this was sorted by karen when i spoke to her the next day

Now my thankyous

Firstly Ceroc nights crew
    The twins and Karen put a lot of hard work heart and soul into this.

Marc and Rachel

Thanks for great sets in the chill out lounge

And rachel wow your an amazing dancer (so is mark but i didnt dance with him )

Kieth Furness

Awesome sets (again in the chill out lounge) I would say probably my favourite dj of the weekend

John Baker
    Again first class sets and really nice to meet you

Carl Brooks and his team (from ceroc phoenix)
    Really conciencous and helpful WCS and ceroc teacher
    He was heading to bed for the afternoon and stopped when he saw us and one of our friends practicing the beginners wcs moves and helped for over 30 mins with technique
    We saw him on several occasions take people to one side to help them
    (he also took us taking the mick out of him)

All in all a really good fun weekend with everybody getting in the spirit of it and having fun

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Swish the Aftermath

Moderators note

Just to let you all know, I've moved the off topic (but interesting) discussion that developed from this thread, to a new thread

Problem solving.. what to do when the main room closes, with the influx to the COZ

Lory x
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I’m still utterly shattered from this weekend. I’ve taken Lory’s original template from Skegness thread and done my best to fill it in the best I can. It’s a little on the long side, I started this when I got home yesterday so forgive me if it a bit disjointed in places but I haven’t had much sleep.

Sooooo, how was the....

Journey was

For me it was straight up the A12, only took me about 2 and half hours.
    It’s basically right between Great Yarmouth and Lowerstoft.

Accommodation

I was a bit lucky, as last year my group was the first people to book… so naturally we booked one of the penthouses in the hotel. To say it was fantastic is a massive understatement. I’ve been in a few other rooms in the hotel as well as the Chalets and they are all more than adequate for the amount of time you will spend in them even the basic ones (which are slowly all being modernised).

• Cleanliness – Not just the rooms but the whole camp is utterly spotless.
    • Hot water - The power shower…. Ooh my god; I want that shower at home. The pressure was so strong it was actually pushing the shower head up and out of it holder... And then I found how to turn on the body jets…utter heaven. I won’t mention the Jacuzzi with the built in TV as I didn’t get a chance to use them. From last year I remember the shower in the charlets was always hot and the pressure was good, a couple of people did mention that they didn’t have that great amount of pressure in there showers.

• Cooking facilities - A kettle and a microwave…but trust me the last thing you really need to worry about is food!

• Distance from your accommodation to the venue? - I never had to leave the hotel; it was about a 1 minute walk if I stopped to tie up my shoes. The Chalet at the far end of the grounds is no more than a few minutes walk 3 or 4 at worse from the main hotel.

Venues

• Distance between venues and was this an issue? - All the venues are in one build and less than 30 seconds walk from each other. They are all very close to each other but because of the way the building is laid out none of them intrude in anyway on the other.

• Timings of available dancing - There was an option of free styling from 8pm until 4am in the chill out room but I would say 99% of the people went and watched the onsite Theatre company shows every night, from around 8.30 till 10ish. The main room the went on until around 2am and the Chill out room was meant to run till 4am but often run on for a little bit longer.
    • Size - There was enough room that you never bumped into anyone on any of the floors, the main room really is huge.

• Floor – I thought all the floors were perfect, never heard a mutter or a mention otherwise from any one… actually I don’t think anyone ever even commented on the floors.

• Heat - fans - air-con etc - On Saturday night the main room for me was very hot, but I had spent most of the night dancing in the chill out room in front of a cold fan (not because that room was hot I just often dance near fans as I do tend to get hot). There were plenty of giant fans dotted about all a round the dance floors, for me just like everything else another thing they got spot on.

• Bars - efficiency and prices - The prices seem to be pretty comparable to the normal bar prices that I pay when I go out drinking. £2.95 for a Bells and diet coke, £2.50 Theakstens, a glass of coke was £1.95 and a Black Current and Soda was £0.50.

• Seating - Loads of seats. I never felt like I was invading someone else’s space, like every thing else I feel this is another thing that was pretty much spot on.

• Atmosphere? – If the could bottle it and sell it there wouldn’t be any wars…All weekend there was a real Buzz in the air, everyone that I meet was incredibly friendly and seemed to be having a great time. I really loved it.

Restaurants

• Quality - All the food you could want was provide for you, the only possible reason someone might grumble is they are at set times. But I personally don’t think that is an issue as I was one of the handfull that stay to the very end every single night and still made it for breakfast at 9am the next morning…Plus the quality of the food really is fantastic, I really can’t stress how good. The other useful thing about the set meal time is that it gave the Hosts the opportunity to give everyone information on the day activities as the majority of people where in the same room at the same time.

• Prices – All the food in the restaurant at meal times are Included in the price of the weekend.

• Efficiency - Great service by a very professional team of Waiters, Cooks and Bar staff. And they utterly deserved the round of applause that the whole dining room gave them during our last dinner on Sunday night.

Other facilities

• spa

• swimming

• Shops

• Bars

I didn’t get a chance to use any of the facilities other than the bars. But I also know there are plenty of other things on site to do including Golf course, Go-karting, climbing wall, Badminton, squash court, table tennis, Snooker and pool tables, full size 10 Pin bowling alleys, the list goes on and on I can’t remember the half of it. Yet again the people I spoke too never had a bad word to say about what they had used, a lot of them really like the fact that they could get away from the dancing and do something else for an hour our two if they wished.

For me Potter’s really is the perfect setting for a Dance weekender. The food, the range of facilities, the quality of service pretty much everything is top notch. Importantly the numbers of people that go there is just right, it’s never feels to busy liked they tried to cram in the extra few to make a little more money. It really does all come together perfectly.

the good the bad and the Ugly of the...

Music - Dj's - OK so far I have been pretty positive about Swish, My first and only grumble. Friday night the music just didn’t do it for me in the main room; it must have for a lot of other people as every one was busy dancing. I ended up only floating in to the main room for a couple of dances before heading back into the chill out room where the music was more to my liking, personally I think it was more my bad luck and probably bad taste as the Chill out room wasn’t that busy compared to the following nights.
    But then on Saturday and Sunday… wow thank you DJ’s, everywhere I went the music was truly Outstanding. I don’t know who was playing where and when. But what I do know is every single one of the DJ’s was on top form…I don’t think I heard a single naff song in any of the rooms all night (the DJ’s really earnt there money) and as a result I really did have two of the most enjoyable and fun nights I have ever had on a dance floor… and I know a lot of other people that agreed with that statement.
    The DJ playing the closing set of the weekend in the chill out room. I don’t know what his name was, if someone could let me know as I would like to lookout for him playing again as it was really Superb, and for me ended the weekend on a real high.
    There was also some sack the DJ during the day and Keith (I don’t know if he is here) was fantastic, I’m really looking forward to seeing him DJ more often and will make a point of going to freestyle where he is DJing.

Workshops - All the ones I attended were very good, I really did enjoyed myself. I especially enjoyed Mark and Rachel’s Blue class… and I loved the dance I had with Rachel in the Chill out room (Thank You). All the teachers were really approachable and I had great fun dancing with them or there demos.

Cabarets - The Cabaret are put on by the in house theatre company, they are very good and if west end shows are your thing I’m sure you will love it, I have seen them before and they really are very good. I personally don’t like those kind of things to much so I never went to them this time. I did hear more than one person say they would have paid just to stay at Potter’s and watch the shows, plus there was also a competition to win a chance to dance in the final night’s show on stage with the theatre company.

and any other incidentals – being a little freaked out when some one healed a knee injury I had without touching it. That just isn’t right.

Forum meets etc. - Other than Martin, Sunnybunny and myself I don’t think I personally meet any other Forumites there.

Would a BBQ be feasible for the summer? - Would anyone want one after being stuffed at breakfast, plus as this isn’t run in the summer I doubt this applies.

Any complaints? - For me… urm not really.

Any surprise.... 'Wow..... that was a brilliant innovation'?

What could be improved on? - This is hard… as I believe everything has room for improvement, but with this weekend I’m struggling to think of any where that applies. Karen, Glen and Paul as well as everyone else involved must have really worked hard at putting on this Event as it really came across as being very slick and professional. Thank you all.

Any Shocking gossip??? - Not that I’m aware of, but I’m not one for gossip.

Finally I would like to thanks Martin, I really enjoyed it when we were tagging on the unsuspecting ladies, it was so funny to see there faces when one of us stole her from the other.

Which then leads me onto a massive thank you to Sunnybunny for the dances, especially when she teamed up with another lady called Dianne (who I also don’t think is on the forums) and they took it in turns at stealing me from each other, for me one of the real highlights of the weekend!

What a Weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by kps View Post
    The DJ playing the closing set of the weekend in the chill out room. I don’t know what his name was, if someone could let me know as I would like to lookout for him playing again as it was really Superb, and for me ended the weekend on a real high.
    Just a quickie - that was Ian Morgan, 'Oxo' on the forum.
    And, to just about everything you said, really!
    Rachel x

Great review
    Based on your review, I will definitely be booking this next year. Sounds perfect, especially not having to leave the hotel to get to the venue. We had this at Jump, Jive and Boogie - you can leave your room all done up with your dance shoes already on and not have to worry about putting three layers on and your wellies to get to the venue, especially at this time of year when the wind and rain buggers up your hair.

Thanks for your great review.

i was goingto ask mark and rachel this as i also agree what an amazing set
    Forum meets etc. - Other than Martin, Sunnybunny and myself I don’t think I personally meet any other Forumites there.
    john baker, photoartist mark and rachel all dj's are on here mate

Finally I would like to thanks Martin, I really enjoyed it when we were tagging on the unsuspecting ladies, it was so funny to see there faces when one of us stole her from the other.
    this was without doubt one of my highlights of the dancing
    the poor people we played with were so much fun
    thanks to all of them as they were really good sports

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Based on your review, I will definitely be booking this next year. Sounds perfect, especially not having to leave the hotel to get to the venue. We had this at Jump, Jive and Boogie - you can leave your room all done up with your dance shoes already on and not have to worry about putting three layers on and your wellies to get to the venue, especially at this time of year when the wind and rain buggers up your hair.

Thanks for your great review.
    you will have to get in fast sam i heard it was 75% booked already
    i wont be re booking as i felt it was too expensive as a dance weekender however if you want a social weekend with the locals and quite a lot of dancing you wont find a better one

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    you will have to get in fast sam i heard it was 75% booked already
    Thanks Martin, I'll get Gav on the case.

At last, my twopenn'th

Journey
    Same as Kevin’s, only marginally slower (as I wasn’t driving ) We met up for lunch at the Marlborough Head Hotel in Dedham, en route and I would highly recommend it if you are ever in that neck of the woods - “Constable Country”.

Accommodation

My accommodation wasn’t quite as luxurious as Kevin’s penthouse – I was only in a “Bungalow Plus”. At first it was too bl**dy hot – have you ever heard that complaint about weekender accommodation before ???? Once we figured how to turn the radiator off, we were fine. Lovely fluffy towels, very soft beds, fridge, tea & coffee, tv etc. Slight issue was the moody “designer” lighting. You had to do your make up in the main room by memory – then check that you had got it right in the bathroom mirror!

Our bungalow was less than a minute walk to the main building – 2 doors down from where we were last year.

Venue

The layout of the place is great and I agree with everything Kevin says previously.

The main dance area is absolutely huge and the floor was great. There is a nice bar area overlooking the dance floor, and this was a great place for everyone to meet up and chat, drink coffee etc between the workshops and activities during the day. There were plenty of huge fans to keep the temperature down at night.

Because there were hotel bedrooms that backed onto two sides of it, the main room HAD to close at 2am regardless of whether there was demand for it to remain open or not.

The layout of the chill out / blues room is a challenge because the bar was right next to the dance floor on one side, but this didn’t cause too many problems – you just had a roundabout walk to the bar. Marc & Rachel did a fantastic job setting up the lighting etc & the resultant ambience of the place was spot on.

The Atlas Theatre had been enlarged from last year, putting in more seating, but the size of the dance floor remained the same. This was a bit restricting for some of the more popular workshops but people did manage to spread themselves around the area and also utilised the additional square of temporary flooring that had been put down.

Food

I echo Martin’s comments on this – too good and too much. The dining room is very well laid out, with an upstairs balcony, and slightly raised areas around the edges downstairs offering a good vantage point for us to watch who was coming in and going out – and see how highly they had piled their plates from the buffet.

You walk in here with the best of intentions to “only have a snack” at lunchtime and “only have two courses, not three” in the evenings, but willpower goes out of the window. The set mealtimes had plusses and minuses. Plus - everyone eating together was nice and sociable. Minus – a bit restrictive and quite a few people missed out doing the 10am and 1.30 workshops because they were just too soon after blow out meals.

Other facilities

There were loads of things on offer although I didn’t do anything else other than go for an hour’s stroll along the beach on Saturday morning. Some friends had a go at go-karting and really enjoyed it. One climbed a wall (why?) and enjoyed that too. Another friend who couldn’t dance because of a knee injury took full advantage of the pool & spa and had several treatments – manicure & massage etc. The curling looked interesting, and I also saw loads of people wandering round with snooker cues. I heard that the karaoke was well attended, but don’t know about the quiz. So, there was plenty of stuff for non-dancing partners or the not-quite-so-addicted dancers who wanted to do something other than the workshops during the day.

Potters Entertainment

Remembering the adage of “if you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all………, I will move along swiftly. I would think that perhaps 80% of the punters stayed in the theatre and watched it, so I accept that I am in the minority. Whether or not they stayed there because they were so bloated from over-indulging at dinner that they couldn’t even move, I couldn’t possibly comment.

Workshops

I did four.

Chris Baker’s “Moves from Down Under” at 10am on Saturday morning included just a few too many spins for me so soon after the “full English”. There were quite a few of us a bit green round the gills after this one.

Carl Adams & Sarah Taylor’s “Coasting” was enjoyable. The twenty or so women over gave up and wandered off somewhere else leaving those remaining to have a good workshop. Russell Saxby’s “Oh Soooo Smooth” was very entertaining and Boba Lee’s Latin Lovers a hoot.

From what I heard, all the workshops were well attended and received. There were big screens up so that even from the back of the main room you could see what was going on. The knock on effect from this was, unfortunately as far as I was concerned, a lack of bodies dancing in the chill out / blues room during the afternoon freestyle sessions.

Music & DJ’s

I can’t really comment on the main room music as I only popped in there for about 10 minutes on both the Friday and Saturday nights. I spent all of my time in the chill out / blues room. In fact, there was talk of putting my name on one of the sofas in there.

In there, Keith did a sterling job on his afternoon (between lessons) and early evening (while the cabaret entertainment was on in the theatre) sessions on the decks. It was a real shame that more people didn’t join us at these times. We were a very select band of bunnies in there at times. Maybe slightly lower lighting in the afternoons would have drawn more people in.

Marc & Rachel, John Baker, Ian Morgan & Erick all played absolute blinders as far as I was concerned – not a duff tune on any night. OK, Martin, so some of the music may have been more funky than bluesy for you at times – but I do think the guys played to their audience – and they certainly ticked all my boxes. I had some fabulous dances. Marc, as always was sublime and I thoroughly enjoyed dancing with smiley John B & the gorgeous Ian M. Kevin’s surprise tag dance was a hoot. You should have seen his face

In Summary

I really don’t think that anything needs to be changed or could possibly be improved upon for this weekend. Karen, Glen & Paul (and all the other guys as well, of course) have got a winning formula here – so if it ain’t broke …… The fact that it sells out so quickly – and is already 75% booked for 2010 is evidence of that. In fact, reading though this very long (sorry) review, I am wondering why I am not booking for next year as well.

I hope that I am not going to regret not re-booking for next year, but my reason for this is that I would be paying quite a lot of money for a lot of stuff that I do not really need or particularly want from a weekender eg food, all the facilities I don’t use, the entertainment (enough said) and not quite as much daytime dancing as I would like. For what I would pay for this one weekend I could probably attend 2 or even three other more basic Storm-like weekenders. Of course, if money (and available holiday) were no object I would book it up in a flash, because I really have thoroughly enjoyed my three Swishes.

Roll on Storm !
    Last edited by sunnybunny; 25th-February-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: not wysiwyg

Commercial Operator

Bit late but here goes anyway...(work just piles up when you're dancing, why is that )

Cant really add anything to what has already been said but would like to say a big thank you to all those involved in hosting such a great event. We stayed on during the day on Monday for lunch before we left and astonishingly there was no sign of any Ceroc activity anywhere (save a few fans in the corner). Given the fact that the last set finished at 4am how the he** did they get all that gear out of the building by 10am? Amazing effort.

Special mention to Marc & Rachel for the great sets in the chill room and Marc's great set in the main room, proving that the main hall CAN survive without playing Candyman. Big hug to Rachel for playing Al Green. A true genius as we discussed last week...

Not sure if I met/danced with any forumites. Perhaps we should wear forum name tags so we can say hi (or maybe I should keep a low profile??) but if I danced with you, thanks, it was great.

One last mention, Doug and Liz who we shared the dinner table with. Two nicer people you could not wish to meet. Hope we see you again sometime. (Not even sure if you are on the forum, hope so)

If DavidB is reading this, sorry if it seems a bit gushing but I really cant think of anything bad to say.

If you havent booked already, do it, you wont be disappointed.

Peace
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by marko View Post
    Given the fact that the last set finished at 4am how the he** did they get all that gear out of the building by 10am? Amazing effort.
    The last set actually finished at 4.30 - it was still so busy at 4am, we persuaded Ian to keep playing ...

Marc and I made the sensible decision to pack up the blues room immediately afterwards, rather than waiting til the morning, even though it did mean only 1.5 hours sleep (& the first time we actually made it for breakfast!).

Meanwhile, I gather the security and other Potters staff were working really hard clearing out the main room. After breakfast, we saw Mike, David Bradley, Glen & Paul slaving away with flooring, boxes, etc. But yes, it was quite unreal seeing the entire place turned back to 'normal'.

Big hug to Rachel for playing Al Green. A true genius as we discussed last week...
    Well, there was no way I was going to let you leave the room when I'd got that specially lined up for you!

Not sure if I met/danced with any forumites. Perhaps we should wear forum name tags so we can say hi (or maybe I should keep a low profile??) but if I danced with you, thanks, it was great.
    Sorry, I had meant to introduce you to Sunnybunny but never saw you both in the same place. I'm sure your paths would have crossed as you both spent so much time in the blues room.

If DavidB is reading this, sorry if it seems a bit gushing but I really cant think of anything bad to say.
    It was rather good, wasn't it ...

Oh, the bad - yes I have got some, actually:
    1. KPS - I think you must have inadvertently mislaid our invitation to your special VIP penthouse suite after party ... ???
    2. I have carpet burn on my shoulder!

Rachel x
    Last edited by Rachel; 25th-February-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Lucky old Marc
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

If DavidB (pint lover, aerials champ and all round dance god) was reading this he'd probably wonder why you'd singled him out for that comment. If however you meant the moderator in exile then I'd understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    DavidB (pint lover, aerials champ and all round dance god) .....

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Rachel x
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Lucky old Marc
    i know how the carpet burn happend and marc was nowhere in sight

lets put it this way it was definately a kodak moment once i knew rachel was ok

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    If DavidB (pint lover, aerials champ and all round dance god) was reading this he'd probably wonder why you'd singled him out for that comment. If however you meant the moderator in exile then I'd understand it.

Hmm seems there is more than one DavidB. I was referring to David Bailey who often makes me chuckle with his 'sarcy' comments; all in good humour I'm sure. Any similarity with any other person, living or dead is purely coincidental (even pint loving dance gods)

i know how the carpet burn happend and marc was nowhere in sight

lets put it this way it was definately a kodak moment once i knew rachel was ok
    Hm, yes, it was a very inelegant leap from the podium onto a sofa which then catapulted me across the floor. Thanks for coming to my rescue, Martin - although I only did it because I was trying to catch you to say goodbye!

Hmm seems there is more than one DavidB. I was referring to David Bailey who often makes me chuckle with his 'sarcy' comments; all in good humour I'm sure. Any similarity with any other person, living or dead is purely coincidental (even pint loving dance gods)
    Oh yes, the other DavidB - David Barker If you're coming to Lux, David and his wife Lily, my total dance heroine, will be teaching there, I believe.

Rachel

Hm, yes, it was a very inelegant leap from the podium onto a sofa which then catapulted me across the floor. Thanks for coming to my rescue, Martin - although I only did it because I was trying to catch you to say goodbye!
    So you threw yourself at martingold?! Just as well Marc was nowhere in sight

Have to say, that this did give me a vision which will keep me laughing for the rest of the day

Rachel
    as if i would have left without saying goodbye to you rachel
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    So you threw yourself at martingold?! Just as well Marc was nowhere in sight
    i have this effect on women twirly

i have this effect on women twirly
    Clearly your yoyo's are more powerful than most

Thread Information