Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talc in Perth

Talc in Perth

Who is the mystery talc thrower? Does he/ she even exist? The Hangar in Perth is a lovely venue and always good classes and parties there but the last few occasions we've danced there, we have been made to feel like naughty children for putting talc down on the floor. Has anyone ever seen anyone doing this? Really, I've watched for it but neither I, nor anyone I've asked, has ever seen either the culprit in action or the evidence just after the fact. What I have seen there is lots of dust, which is what I think the venue proprietor is mistaking for talc and its being brought in from the un-tarmac'd car park. It was particularly bad when the roads were being gritted, and footfall was bringing in lots of rock salt dust. Yes, I agree, it could be seen on the carpets but it's not us dancers who are deliberately putting it there. The proprietor's argument is that it is never a problem when the function hall is used for other dances but I would suggest that this is because no other function sees the quantity of "feet on the floor" that a Ceroc event does.

Obviously, if someone is putting talc down THEN PLEASE STOP IT! Not only is everyone else getting blamed for it, but we risk losing the venue. I'll take the "diss" if we do have amongst us a phantom talc thrower but I doubt it. I think we're all getting a bad press and I hate getting a row for something I haven't done!

Re: Talc in Perth

There was alot of 'talc' on the floor near the bar & the ladies toilets. Can't say I noticed anyone using any as we were told when we paid not to use it.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

It was me.

Wasn't really.

I have come across people who have put talc on already really fast floors thinking it will slow it down.

Are you sure it is actually talc? Some types of floor cleaner leave a resin than comes up powdery when danced on. It's not normally noticed with non dancers as they dont punish the floor as much as dancers do.

Would sugest to the venue manager just to clean it without detergent for a few weeks to see if the problem stops.

Yeah, but was it talc? That area, and across the bar is where the "trail" usually ends up but I think its just from people going out to the loos or out for fresh air or to the bar for a drink. I know that everyone is told not to use talc when they come in and there are signs up around the place so that's another reason why I find it difficult to accept that someone is just blatantly ignoring the request.

Can't say it looked like talc, which is why I wrote 'talc' Perhaps the ladies toliet floor is dusty & is need of a good wash!

Quote Originally Posted by crystaltips View Post
    . What I have seen there is lots of dust, which is what I think the venue proprietor is mistaking for talc :
    There was a big issue at BAWA about "talc " some years ago, with threat's of Trinity Leroc being banned and the another style of dance being allowed their slot

Every one was looking for the phantom talc sprinkler but in the end. the venue accepted. it was just dust. possibly from under the floor

Usually if someone puts talc on the floor they do so near the edge of the dance floor where they are stepping onto it, and (again, usually) there's still an accumulation of talc left once the "talc-er" has danced off.

I didn't see anyone putting talc on the floor, and I didn't see any tell-tale accumulations. What I did see were trails of light-coloured substance on the carpets at the entrance and bar.

Was it talc? I don't know, but I'm inclined to agree with crystaltips. And if there is any question of Ceroc being blamed or charged or banned from the venue then it would be worth paying a management visit to establish the facts before just accepting the rap.

(Of course if the light-coloured material was a Class A Substance we really do have a problem!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Talc ? In Fife? Thats a perfume product. Unlikely

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Talc ? In Fife? Thats a perfume product. Unlikely
    True - but then Perth isn't in Fife...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    True - but then Perth isn't in Fife...
    its nearly in Fife and all the dancers are from Fife

Good point though, a Fifer wouldn't have talc, clearly an outsider

its nearly in Fife and all the dancers are from Fife

All the dancers? They must keep it a secret then.... I have talc but I use it on my drysuit rather than dance shoes

Blog Entries

its nearly in Fife
    It's still officially not though.
    all the dancers are from Fife
    What, all of them?
    We're going to start going in circles here...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    All the dancers? They must keep it a secret then.... I have talc but I use it on my drysuit rather than dance shoes
    You can't have talc jeanie, you're from Fife - it must be another substance you're using.

It's still officially not though.
    Fifers wouldn't like to be associated with Taysiders...

What, all of them?

You can't have talc jeanie, you're from Fife - it must be another substance you're using.
    No I swear it's talc... Unperfumed to perserve the life of the rubber seals

Blog Entries

Fifers wouldn't like to be associated with Taysiders...
    Good job the feeling's mutual I guess...

(P.s. You're showing your age m'dear - Tayside hasn't officially existed since 1996... )
    No I swear it's talc... Unperfumed to perserve the life of the rubber seals
    Yeah yeah...

It seems there is a phantom talc thrower and they are well travelled, they were at La Palma in December and in the Skegness blues room and now in Perth.

Where will they strike next.....

I personally think it was not talc and could either have been dust from the car park, or possibly something to do with the new polish they had used on the toilet floor (well it was in the gents anyway).

I nearly broke my neck the first time I visited, a cruel observer may have thought it was my best dance of the night!

Perhaps an idea would be to put a brush and tray near the 'check in' desk and invite people to brush off their shoes before going in.

If it is talc, would the culprit please stop.

Good job the feeling's mutual I guess...

(P.s. You're showing your age m'dear - Tayside hasn't officially existed since 1996... )
    You're right, I left school in '96..or was it '95 it's so long ago I can't remember!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    ... Are you sure it is actually talc? Some types of floor cleaner leave a resin than comes up powdery when danced on. It's not normally noticed with non dancers as they dont punish the floor as much as dancers do...
    There are some floor treatments that leave a very nice looking, but thin and brittle, finish.

Dancers spinning on this destroy it, leaving a lot of whitish powder that can easily be mistaken for talc. This is sharp edged and tends to catch in carpet. It is not as easy to vacuum clean as talc is.

When Nix stopped the music to tell us off , there was a single trail of white footprints from the dance-floor heading towards the ladies' toilet. I don't know if it was talc or not, but one person at least had more white powder on their shoes than most others.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Cool Re: Talc in Perth

I carry talc in my dance bag, and I will use it if the floor is exceptionally slow. If I do use talc, I put a tiny amount out of the way. Usually under a lighting tripod or somewhere nobody is going to be walking. I can then dab my shoes into it and stop my knees from being wrecked. Sometimes I will just sprinkle a tiny bit on my palm and rub it into my soles.

I would never condone blanket talc throwing. The speed of a floor is quite a personal thing, and I wouldn't foist my idea of 'just right' on anyone else. That said I know a number of dancers who will share my little bit of talc if we're at the same venue.

Talc is not a panacea for bad dancing. Some people seem to use it whatever the floor. I know one guy who puts it down in places that are already like ice rinks. We actually fell out over it (not literally fell). He also isn't as careful about putting it out of the way! Twirlie Bird nearly came a cropper on his careless talc in Debbie Attwood's Coppertops blues room. A venue that certainly needs NO talc on it as the floor is already superb.

In my view talc has it's place... and in most cases that's inside its tube, inside my bag.

Thread Information