Thread: Tango in Buenos Aires - any experiences?

Smile Tango in Buenos Aires - any experiences?

I've just managed to wangle 6 weeks off work (yes, I hate me too! ) and I've decided to go to Buenos Aires to learn to Tango. Does anyone have any experiences / contacts / ideas please?

I'm going at the beginning of April and planning on renting an apartment in Palermo. But I haven't booked anything yet.

Any help at all; from getting online (I'm thinking of buying a mini net-book thingy), to Tango school recommendations, to phoning home as cheaply as poss, to nice safe places that a single girlie can brave on her own, to things to do other than Tango - any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance , Toasti x

Re: Tango in Buenos Aires - any experiences?

Lucky you. I spent a couple nights in Buenos Aires three years ago and really enjoyed it. Once you arrive you will be overwhelmed with information on Tanga schools but I simply asked at the Hotel for a recommendation for someone who spoke a little english and attended a regular class. I was, in the end, the only english speaking one there but loved it.

As for other things to do, its a lovely place and quite easy to get around. I spent time around the parliament square and of course no trip would be complete without a trip to Eva Peron's final resting place. I also recall a lovely park right in the center which was perfect for chilling out.

I have to say, I felt really safe while I was there even walking back to the hotel at night after feasting on beef, yeah that's right there's loads of beef

Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasti View Post
    .....planning on renting an apartment in Palermo. But I haven't booked anything yet.
    Naznene who gives DB regular reviews on his JiveTango website is just about to leave for a second 3 month stint. I was talking to her the other day and if you stay in Palermo it is not good for the transport system and so you will need to taxi everywhere. Which is fine if you are not on a budget. She says it is a very nice area. She is staying in the San Telmo? area not quite as nice but in the middle of the transport system.

Hold fire on booking I will see if she has gone yet (I am going on the Mango with her best friend today) and if not hopefully be able to get you in touch with each other.

I've just managed to wangle 6 weeks off work (yes, I hate me too! ) and I've decided to go to Buenos Aires to learn to Tango. Does anyone have any experiences / contacts / ideas please?

I'm going at the beginning of April and planning on renting an apartment in Palermo. But I haven't booked anything yet.

Any help at all; from getting online (I'm thinking of buying a mini net-book thingy), to Tango school recommendations, to phoning home as cheaply as poss, to nice safe places that a single girlie can brave on her own, to things to do other than Tango - any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I know Amir Giles (Amir) and Alex Rowley (Alexymiss) both of whom are on the forum are currently in BA, Amir specifically for Tango so it may be worth PMing either of them for some advice

Hi Toasti

I have been to BA for 5 weeks so am happy to pass on some recommendations.

The tube (Subte) is the easiest way to get round. It has various branch lines. There is a branch(branch C) that goes into Palermo, but it doesnt go to the centre of the district. If you found a place in the middle of the district, you either need to be a) prepared to walk b) take the buses (cheap but you need some experience to use) or c) take taxis.

In my view most of the action (tourist and tango-related) is off branch B (town centre). So I would want to stay either on B, or in some part of town with a tube line that links to B. That would be either San Telmo (friendly and more "authentic" than Palermo - but noisier), off Corrientes/in Recoleta (Recoleta is the posh area of town) , or in an area of Palermo/Belgrano that is near the tube line.

I had two female friends who were staying in great places. They are a little more expensive but were to a "Western" standard. One was the Best Western off Corrientes (great location off line B - quiet despite its location). The other was Conventillo de Lujo (lovely self contained apartments - bit far out on line C but nice neighbourhood and helpful owner).

The latter is a "tango guest house". I would recommend you stay in one of these if you can - for the tips and mutual support you'll get. Best Western isnt one of these but it is close to Estudio DNI which was as good - it's a hip tango school that is 2 blocks away.

(I stayed in San Telmo - perfectly OK place as I said above - but if I was going again I would probably stay elsewhere. Mostly for some peace and quiet :-) You see, once you go out at night and get back at 4 in the morning you dont want to be woken up by the street noise at 8am! )

Dancing : not sure I can advise you here as I was past beginner level when I went. But you could do worse than contact some of the ladies in the blogosphere. SallyCat is a delightful English girl who has settled out in BA and she might be able to help (www sallycatway com). If not her links page is fully up to date and very useful.

I could go on but I'm sure the first thing you're thinking about is location location location!

Thanks Captain Jack,

I'd already tried to book 2 apartments in Palermo but I've had problems so I think I'll switch areas now I've seen what you've had to say. Much appreciated, I'll let you know when I've booked and then I can start to look for Tango lessons.

I'll also look at the website you mentioned.

I'm also going to hook up with a Ceroc forumite in my first week. Alexymiss is out there now and I'm going to buy her lunch and get the low-down when I arrive.

What did we do before the internet??

Thanks again,

Toasti

Cherie would definitely be able to help, too. My friend tangocommuter was there this Christmas and you can read about his experiences on his blog - if you emailed him he might be able to say useful things about teachers - there's a lot on the blog about that as well.

Hi Toasti

Pleasure to help

Jack

Smile Re: Tango in Buenos Aires - any experiences?

Hi All,

I've been a bit quiet on this since booking my flights, but I'm all ready to go now. I leave on Wednesday for 4 weeks and I'm staying in the Conventillo de Lujo -thanks Captain Jack. It seemed like a good option for a single girlie who speaks v little Spanish and they've given me a good deal for staying for a month.

Thanks to all who have PMed me with tips and contacts. I'm not sure if I'll be on the forum whilst I'm there (I'm hoping to be too busy!), but I'll be on FaceBook (Jeanna Coleman, I'm the one with the pink hair, even though it's red now!) if anyone is interested in my tango adventure.

I hope to see some of you at Southport to practice my new skills - I'm sure Ant's feet will be breathing a sigh of relief!

Happy dancing to you all and I'll see you when I get back

Tango Toasti x

Good luck my dear and lovely friend. Have a safe journey. I will miss you, and hope you have the time of your life. I look forward to reading about your experiences on FB and through our emails. We will have a grand reunion when you get back.

Much Love

Rosie
    xxxx
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Hope it all went well, Toasti - would you be willing to update this thread with your experiences? I ask, because I'm now thinking of going out this summer, and I'm sure you would have some useful information to impart.

The easy way to organise would be to book a tango package, there seem to be a number of operators, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any experience of this or other recommendations?

Thread Information