Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe / Clothing Stalls at Events

Commercial Operator

Shoe / Clothing Stalls at Events

Taken from the Skeggness Aftermath thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughalot Bear View Post
    The clothes and shoes stalls. Could we not have some variety ? There was nothing suitable clothes wise for the lady with a slightly larger chest !!! The clothes are geared for more fancier styles. Ballroom, latin etc. I remembered the tops from last time !
    I wasn't at Eclipse, but something I've bemoaned before about stalls at weekenders in general is that the selection for men is at best limited, but usually pitiful.
    The last couple I've been to had:
    At least one huge table of ladies' shoes.
    Loads of ladies clothes (can't comment on the variety, didn't look that closely)
    A measly one or two pairs of men's shoes.
    No men's attire at all.

It's not easy to find good men's clothing for dance purposes (outside of the stuff for ballet, contemporary et al), and I think there's a growing need for it. It seems like an obvious step for the retailers attending these events to bring along at the very least a small selection of items to cater for the other half of the attendees.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Blog Entries

Re: Shoe / Clothing Stalls at Events

I agree that there's never much. I actually found a pair of shoes that fitted perfectly and I like the look of at Eclipse, but there wasn't much and there were no men's clothes at all.

I did see men's clothes at the last Ceroc weekender I went on (can't remember which one; fizzle, fart or cilit bang I think ), but they all looked pretty naff to me.

I find that I can get clothes I like from "normal" shops that are suitable. I just have to hunt around a bit more.

Next has 'slim fit' shirts designed for less ironing at a reasonable price and sometimes they're quite nice (although you do have to have a greek-god-like physique like mine to be able to wear them ).
    Last edited by Gav; 18th-February-2009 at 02:24 PM.

I agree with you, I always go prepared to spend money on something new (not a hardship you understand) but have found at the last couple of events, it is the same people selling the same things that I have seen previously.

I think competition is a good thing. Why restrict it? There is a huge captive audience particularly at weekenders for everyone to benefit from a wider choice from different retailers.

Can't comment on Eclipse as I never saw a clothing stall. (though I've seen it on Facebook)

Must have been hidden away somewhere.

Well to echo what laughalot bear said, the dance stalls I've seen at every weekender do not cater for anyone above a size 12/14.

Before anyone gets on the band wagon about losing weight, I'd like to say that even when I was 8 stone, my top half was at least a size 16. I blame my mum.

Anyway, us curvy ladies would look gorgeous in some of the clothes on the stall at Skeggy, if only they had them in bigger sizes. I always have a good look round and am always disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    I agree with you, I always go prepared to spend money on something new (not a hardship you understand) but have found at the last couple of events, it is the same people selling the same things that I have seen previously.

I think competition is a good thing. Why restrict it? There is a huge captive audience particularly at weekenders for everyone to benefit from a wider choice from different retailers.

The prices for shoes are much dearer than in a shop.

Reckon Londoners would only buy in an emergency, as we have a good range of dance shoe shops.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Anyone else feel the same way?
    Yes.

I was ready to buy another pair of latin shoes from Heavenly at the weekend but they had nothing suitable. It was very much a female dominated selection. I don't know if this leads to chicken and egg situation or whether they have tried stocking a lot of men's stuff in the past and found it just doesn't sell?

I'd like them to realise that not everyone has dinky size 5/6 feet, seems that in general most dance shoes unless you get them specially made go up to an 8 which is why I think my feet are currently very sore. Even with a size 8, I've been told several times by local shops that 'ohh well we don't like to stock more than one pair as we dont sell many of them'. I know I'm not the only one with this problem so it would be nice if they could bring some larger sizes with them.
    Also would be nice to have a range of lower heels as at 6ft theres already a frequent height imbalance, I realise this is being a tad pinicity but I just travelled to a shoe sale the other day with my friend (an hour eachway) and there was nothing suitable for either of us which was a shame.

On the Eclipse note I heard quite a few guys who were disappointed about the lack of shoes, though I was amused by the commentry coming from the sofa where the guys waited whilst their partners shopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    you do have to have a greek-god-like physique like mine to be able to wear them ).
    Who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

Must have been hidden away somewhere.
    It was through a side door in Arthurs and not clearly sign posted if you only popped your head around to look in

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    The prices for shoes are much dearer than in a shop.

Reckon Londoners would only buy in an emergency, as we have a good range of dance shoe shops.
    I have bought a couple of pairs of shoes from weekenders before and don't think they were that expensive.

It would be nice to have a variety from different stockists and I couldn't think of a better place to show your wares than at an event that has a good 1400 dancers .... I am at the other end of the scale as a size 2.5 - 3 the choice is always minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
    It was through a side door in Arthurs and not clearly sign posted if you only popped your head around to look in
    I went to Arthurs to do Victor's class, but it was too packed out.

I watched from the bar for a while.

Noticed the booking stall.

Mind you, the sea air was making my eyes run.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    [B]Anyone else feel the same way?
    Men's clothing isn't relevant to me but I am in agreement with Laughalot bear that they do only cater for the slim ones. There are all shapes and sizes of ladies at these weekenders! Admittedly, at other genres of dance the women do tend to be slimmer, as the dancing is more of a sport than a social event. At a MJ weekender they are social dancers therefore have the bodies of the normal everyday woman not a 'dancer' I have mentioned this to Dean before, so hopefully it will change someday.

I'd love one of those tops with inbuilt sparkly bra, in an E cup. It is Impossible. Harumph.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Well to echo what laughalot bear said, the dance stalls I've seen at every weekender do not cater for anyone above a size 12/14.

They stock clothes for skinny giantesses. Most of those trousers would have been dragging on the floor on me.

Also the choice seemed to be black, black or alternatively, black, enlivened by a few touches of strumpet-red polyester, yum.

Heavenly only do shoes in a narrow fitting - no call for it, apparently, and even if there was it would cost them too much to set up the lasts, so just carry on squeezing your feet into ill-fitting shoes and getting blisters. Funny, many of the high street chains have begun stocking wide-fitting lines, maybe they didn't do their market surveys first.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Most of those trousers would have been dragging on the floor on me.
    Yeah, I forgot about that. Being 5'2" means even if I did find something I could shoehorn myself into, i'd have to pay an extra £15 on top to have the trouser length altered to fit.

And when the items state 14-16 on the label that actually mean a size 10 in real life sizes

I would part with cold hard cash in an instant if I found a nice pair of split leg trousers that covered my substantial bottom or a top that I could actually get the puppies into without worry that they'll escape the minute I actually move.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Being 5'2" means even if I did find something I could shoehorn myself into, i'd have to pay an extra £15 on top to have the trouser length altered to fit.
    I look up to 5.2 ... try being 4.10......and a half

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    I look up to 5.2 ... try being 4.10......and a half
    awwww so cute.

i would love a bra that was all glittery in a lovely black top with a dropped front on. Have not found it anywhere and have even considered making my own. DD+ made her own i think.

Anyway sod E cup i need an F cup and sis needs a Z cup. <grin> <wink> <wink>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Heavenly only do shoes in a narrow fitting - no call for it, apparently, and even if there was it would cost them too much to set up the lasts, so just carry on squeezing your feet into ill-fitting shoes and getting blisters.
    Which makes it even more ridiculous that in the few men's shoes that they do do, they can do wide fitting ones.

Thread Information