Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off for a while

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Off for a while

After receiving an official email from Ceroc regarding my passing off of images, I'm taking a break.

Be good.

Commercial Operator

Re: Off for a while

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    After receiving an official email from Ceroc regarding my passing off of images, I'm taking a break.

Be good.

What's the fuss? It's not as if it's a particularly great image anyway...

Be good.
    You have had a slapping aint cha?

Gwon gwon tell us how many infrancktion points have you been given, I will probably get some now for mentioning them.

Seriously tho! How long you going for , my lover?

Will not be the same without you squiggly.

DTS XXX XXX

What have I missed?

Don't go.....

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    What have I missed?
    Weeeeeeeell, DB got permission from wotshisname to use his photo on his webthingy, but the Nazi's have sent him to the gas chambers because they say wotshisname has no say about pictures of himself because, as Nazi's, everything belongs to them. Aaaaaanyway, the upshot is DB has bubbles bubbling all around the back of his neck and he's gone off to simmer for a while. The head of the Nazi's, as we all know will end up with one b0ll0ck and dead in a hole somewhere and the whole MJ scene will implode, leaving everyone to chose between Lindy Hop and WCS. Personally, if I was wotshisname I'd be charging commission, but what do I know?

aaaaand breathe.

OMG

What pettiness exists in the world (especially of business)

Sorry to hear ... hope to see you back sometime.

Ian x

Be good.
    Hmm.

If you want any help on the legal angle, let me know.

Sorry to see you being harassed.
    Last edited by Lory; 19th-February-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: As requested by poster

Cool Re: Off for a while

Be good.
    You'll be missed you cantankerous old bugga. Don't stay away too long

Commercial Operator

Be good.
    I don't believe that "passing off" is the correct term. To win a case of passing off I believe there has to proof that a company's reputation was damaged by consumers being confused by a similar offering - something like that, anyway.

However if Ceroc own the rights to those pictures they own the copyright and may assert their rights. However, dance is a small world and a gentle request would probably have got the desired result. It sounds to me like Ceroc have been heavy handed.

I'm with DB on this one. I'm showing solidarity and staying away until he comes back. This will probably result in many people asking him to stay away for ever

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Although David asked Rob for permission, which would be the right thing to do before using his image, he should also have got permission from the copyright owner. Unless we know who owns the copyright to the pic it's pointless summizing. The photographer would own the copyright unless Ceroc had paid them for it surely?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post

What's the fuss? It's not as if it's a particularly great image anyway...
    If it is the image that I think it, of a big dip towards the camera, is I have always thought it was wrong for pages that might be reached by muggles. Such pages should shout Dance! and tempt anybody that hit it by accident who was interested in dance to stay awhile.

It is not instantly recognisable as a dance photo, and it is not likely to be in most muggles zones of credibility as far as their own vision of themselves is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    . The photographer would own the copyright unless Ceroc had paid them for it surely?
    good post cruella
    this is absolutely correct unless ceroc put the copyright ownership as a clause when the photographer was taking the photos
    ie he/she was allowed to shoot in the venue so long as he gave up the copyright to ceroc
    which to be honest i would have done had i been ceroc

oh and djb come back we need you
    who else have we got that can be as miserable as you and bring the forum back to the serious site that is should be

I mean we might actually have fun and be lovey dovey if your not here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    I mean we might actually have fun and be lovey dovey if your not here
    Lovey Dovey, dont be silly Martin, im still here to put paid to that stupid nonsense.

Anyway, i dont blame him on principle. How bloody stupid. And wot stupid Snitch reported it to Ceroc HQ thats what i want to know. People need to get a bloody life.

Jeeeez.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    good post cruella
    this is absolutely correct unless ceroc put the copyright ownership as a clause when the photographer was taking the photos
    ie he/she was allowed to shoot in the venue so long as he gave up the copyright to ceroc...
    But DB does not mention copyright, he alleges he is accused of "passing off", which, to my suspicious side, points to Ceroc not owning the copyright, but having permission.

DB alleging he had permission seems to support that view.

Ceroc have a point, if I saw the picture I think it is somewhere I would think it was something to do with Ceroc, they have used it extensively. I suspect they have done something a bit like building on land they do not own.

One for Barry Shinkov: If a copyright owner gives someone permission to use their image/whatever, and then sells the copyright, does that permission still stand? i.e. a bit like buying a cracked vase.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    And wot stupid Snitch....
    Hey! That's a horrible way to refer to Rocky!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

well technically DB snitched himself to Rocky, who is a representative of Ceroc (no, no he's an unbiased independant ). He probably assumed that only the hard of thinking would associate an image as an endorsment of a tango related site by Ceroc and an attempt at "passing off". Was he right ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    One for Barry Shinkov: If a copyright owner gives someone permission to use their image/whatever, and then sells the copyright, does that permission still stand? i.e. a bit like buying a cracked vase.
    It depends on the terms of the agreement. Such rights can be limited - to a certain geographical area, for example, or to certain time period, or for use in a certain medium. Even if the agreement does not expressly restrict the right, unless it explicitly says otherwise there is probably an implied right to withdraw permission providing reasonable notice is given.

The transfer of copyright to a third party cannot put the transferee into a better position than the transferor, but by the same token it would not usually put him into a worse position either. Therefore whatever the original owner could have done, the new owner can probably do also. Again much depends on the wording of that agreement as well.

Yeah, I immediately reported the infringement to Ceroc Internal Affairs who contacted the Feds in Washington DC who then sent out an email and set up a wire tap on DB's mobile...

What a load of old rubbish! Poor DB, come back DB... good riddance is all I can say because as far as I can tell this fictitous 'email' is a pure fabrication. Do Ceroc really care what David does on his Tango site? IMO I sincerely doubt it.

Even if someone did object, you only have yourself to blame DB for drawing the page to people's attention and then asking me open questions about it, most of which I thought was dealt with in a light hearted manner.

In any event you've changed the image now so I don't understand your need for a public show of sympathy..

Get A Grip DB.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Yeah, I immediately reported the infringement to Ceroc Internal Affairs who contacted the Feds in Washington DC who then sent out an email and set up a wire tap on DB's mobile...
    I suspected as much. Now we have a link between this thread and the conspiracy theories one - it's getting better and better

because as far as I can tell this fictitous 'email' is a pure fabrication.
    So to clarify - are you officially stating that David lied? Might as well get this straight.

Do Ceroc really care what David does on his Tango site? IMO I sincerely doubt it.
    I agree that no reasonable person would expect them to.

I agree that no reasonable person would expect them to.

Subtle stray.. subtle !

Thread Information