Thread: What not to do in a beginners class to newcomers

Unhappy What not to do in a beginners class to newcomers

OK - it's name and shame for unacceptable types of behaviour.

Last night at St. Mary's it was the reunion for the holiday that Lynn was on. FYI she met both Will, myself and one or two others.

Anyway one of the young ladies decided she would come to see us, and try the beginners class. Now she is not overkeen on ceroc and is not a regular, but was prepared to do the beginners class, and meet a few of us who had come from across the country (she had come down from the North West)

Something however really put her off and made her run a mile was an unkind remark by one of the men. During one of the moves she got her hands mixed up and offered her left (easily done) , and instead of lauging it off the twit concerned said very stroppilly " Don't you know your right hand from your left??"

Now during a different class I once told a woman to come in closer to me as she was too far away and we had straight arms which is a no no and even that comment wasn't really appreciated even with an explanation as to why. So under no circumstances should we as experienced dancers be rude or sarcastic to newcomers, especially during beginners classes

A reminder to us all that we were beginners ourselves once!

Re: What not to do in a beginners class to newcomers

Originally posted by Jon L
    Think there is probably quite a long list of things NOT to do that I've seen happen.

• Try to impress new 'victim' by throwing her into loads of deep drops
    • Tell newbie "of course you're good enough to do the intermediate class"
    • Take beginner by hand out of line and give her "private coaching" all night
    • Hit on her for the start with sole intention of getting telephone number
    • Talk over the instructors advice ... because YOU know better

Recognise anyone from this list?

Ooo, i have heard of a few that match some of those

I was told off a lady that one guy, who at the time was dancing in Finchley, said to her "you grab on too tight with your hands , I dont want to dance with you again"

I just couldnt believe what i was hearing. How can anyone be so rude to someone. She was a relative newcomer.
    I subsequently heard a few other comments about this gentleman which were not too favourable.

Really makes me angry

Re: Re: What not to do in a beginners class to newcomers

Originally posted by Gus
    Think there is probably quite a long list of things NOT to do that I've seen happen.
    (snip)
    There's also a lot of good pointers in the taxi-dancers manual (downloadable from main Ceroc Scotland page). Tips on politenes that is - however good a person thinks they are vis-a-vis a beginner (and most other dancers will be more experienced I suppose), the teachers and taxi-dancers are always 'right' because that's their job and perceived role, at least when they're on duty. Everybody else's job is just to make people feel wonderful when they're dancing with them.

Originally posted by Gus

• Tell newbie "of course you're good enough to do the intermediate class"
    • Take beginner by hand out of line and give her "private coaching" all night
    • Talk over the instructors advice ... because YOU know better

At a relatively new venue where I know the "intermediate" is deliberately set at beginner level, if the dancer really is good enough, them joining in can be better that sitting isolated.

I would never take someone out of line, but I do not blame the hunters for hunting. There are some guys that just come in order to meet gals, and vice versa

The instructor is one to many, the class is one to one. An individual word, in moderation, can make a real difference. It would be awful for someone to finish a class with the thought that no-one will talk to them, no-one will help them.

Re: Re: Re: What not to do in a beginners class to newcomers

Originally posted by bigdjiver
    An individual word, in moderation, can make a real difference. It would be awful for someone to finish a class with the thought that no-one will talk to them, no-one will help them.
    It can make a real difference to anybody! I remember going to one London club (that shall be nameless!), doing the beginners class, doing the fun intermediate class, trying to be a perfect guest when they were obviously short of men and got generally good feedback for my efforts as far as I could tell.

I didn't know anyone when I walked in. It would have made such a difference if one, even one of the many staff on duty that night had said "haven't seen you before, welcome to _ _ _ _ _ _ _"). I don't want a conversation, but a "Where are you from" only takes an instant, and can make a big difference to the lasting impression.

Re: What not to do in a beginners class to newcomers

Originally posted by Jon L

Last night at St. Mary's it was the reunion for the holiday that Lynn was on. FYI she met both Will, myself and one or two others.

Anyway one of the young ladies decided she would come to see us, and try the beginners class... Something however really put her off and made her run a mile was an unkind remark by one of the men...under no circumstances should we as experienced dancers be rude or sarcastic to newcomers, especially during beginners classes

A reminder to us all that we were beginners ourselves once!
    Yeah, I was there on Friday night and had a great time!

I agree if people are more experienced dancers and are doing the beginners class they should be aware that it could be someone's first or second class and make any comments sensitively. Someone did offer a style comment to me in that class, but did so politely and I felt they were just trying to help me improve and appreciated it. Its great when people are willing to help beginners and some positive comments go a long to helping someone's enjoyment and confidence (and encouraging them to come back).

I really enjoyed the class (and also my first intermediate class, which was challenging and fun). I think anyone who really loves the dancing itself, will also love to see others enjoy it - and seeing someone after their first class, realising they have 'got it' is great. As a beginner myself, I appreciate an experienced dancer asking me to dance, offering helpful comments and generally making the dance enjoyable - which I am glad to say was my experience with all the dances on Friday night!

Originally posted by Gus

[list]
    [*]Hit on her for the start with sole intention of getting telephone number

Does getting her E-Mail address count ?

Thread Information