Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: WCS vs MJ dancers – the CerocPort solution...

Re: WCS vs MJ dancers – the CerocPort solution...

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    I just want to be able to have a good weekender and get dances with some good dancers who I never see elsewhere - am just hoping that there's still enough people going to make it a good one.
    Well, you might get a dance with the Forum's big boss man and his crazy feet if he's not too busy perfecting his recipe for champagne soaked waffles. Also rocky might take time out from being the forum c*ck and give your inner thighs a grinding the likes of which they've never had before

Seriously, numbers alone don't make or break the quality of a weekend. The Blaze weekends I went to were quite low numbers overall but still had a great time. On the plus side the Dj-ing line up and some of the teaching at Blush looks like it will be top notch and there will be plenty of good dancers albeit a different makeup from some of the other weekenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post

The simple answer to the WCS/Blues dancers is just for the moaners to stop moaning. Some of the attitude I have seen from "some" WCS'ers and from "some" blues dancers is pretty appalling.

No you are not special because you have danced in America nor are you special because you have given someone the best dance of their lives once in a darkened room by rubbing up their leg. You are a dancer like the other 1500 odd people in the same location as you. Music is playing so just dance.

Separation and divide will remain in a mixed discipline room simply because people tend to hang out with their friends which they have made at their dance classes. There is nothing wrong with this of course, not one would be expected to hang around with people they don't know when regular faces are there.

I just think that a certain few (and it is only a few) should stop acting like they are the stars of the weekend. Even the WCS pros seem to act more sociable and less stuck up their own @rse. On the other hand the minority of MJ'ers that moan about their being a hotshot area or that Westies are taking up too much of the floor need to realize that westies will hang out with westies and that they are only dancing their dance.
    Lee fab, fab, post

I suppose I spouted off a bit about the divide at Skeggie a bit, there were so many people moaning about it, and I lay awake thinking long and hard about why it seemed so different at Skeggie and I think I know why.

At southport the Westie hang out in front of the bar in the blues room, but this in its self it a walk way from out side through them into the main room, also the bar is excusable, which all makes them approachable as your walking thought you get to say 'hi catch you over the weekend' you go up the bar and get to stand amongst them watching chatting to the person next to you, you ge to mingle, at Skeggie they were all up a corner inexcusable or seemingly approachable.

A few crappie situations (which probably happen at every weekender) made things worse, you will always get horrid people that care nothing for other's feelings in any walk of life not just dance.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just want to be able to have a good weekender and get dances with some good dancers who I never see elsewhere
    Don't worry, you and your friends will have a ball! There are hundreds of dancers booked and the first Cerocport will be amazing!
    One thing you can be sure of, is that everyone at Ceroc HQ and across the country are working overtime to make sure everyone enjoy the week-end.
    As Robd said, look at the teacher / DJ line-up!

I look forward to seeing you and everyone else there.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just want to be able to have a good weekender and get dances with some good dancers who I never see elsewhere - am just hoping that there's still enough people going to make it a good one.
    I'm booked and so are a few of my favourite dancers and favourite Dj's too

I'm just hoping things will go smoothly over the next couple of weeks and I'll be able to make it.

Sorry Emmylou, I'm a rubbish lead, so I won't subject you to that but I can assure you, there are some absolutely wonderful leads going, so you'll be OK!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    I look forward to seeing you and everyone else there.
    i'm queing Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I'm booked and so are a few of my favourite dancers and favourite Dj's too

I'm just hoping things will go smoothly over the next couple of weeks and I'll be able to make it.

there are some absolutely wonderful leads going, so you'll be OK!

I hope your there Lory your were miss at Skeggie

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Seriously, numbers alone don't make or break the quality of a weekend.
    Absolutely. There can be thousands of people, but I'm still only dancing with one person at a time. Plus, fewer people = more space.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Bailey
    WCS dancers need to stop sponging off MJ events, and get their own space, their own areas, and their own music, and stop impinging on MJ dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    David, slight flaw in your argument. WCS dancers already have 'their own space, their own areas, and their own music,' but if a weekender features one of the best couples in the world as headline teachers and lots of their friends are also attending then it's not surprising that they will also attend the JA weekenders. You'll have seen from my previous post that I don't disagree that there is a floorcraft issue but I don't see how you view the WCS dancers as 'sponging' off MJ events given the teaching line up. I do think there's an interesting chicken and egg question around the music. So much of the music is suitable for WCS that is played in the blues room but is this because the Djs think it is good music per se or that they want to keep the WCS crowd happy?

Oh, and I presume given your views on a mixed floor that you'll stop dancing AT at Berko in future?
    <sigh>
    For ages Jon & I have been trying to find a way to dance to slower music, (that allows Jon to hang on to the rhythm), when the BPM dips below standard MJ tolerance levels. Blues didn't work (Jon's "arrhythmia"). Nor did AT (my poor balance). Nicole & Simon's smooth jive defeated both of us. But WCS seems promising. Except we need a venue close to home to practice. Looks like a couple of Westie newbies, (dancing awkwardly and counting like mad), will be completely unwelcome at Berko.
    On the other hand, if we risk a visit, the fallout may make for some entertaining reading . So if you see a couple in the corner at Berko, scowling, it is probably us. We are not snobs: just incompetent! Honestly, I'd just got used to counting to 6, and they added eight, ten, even twelve count patterns ...

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Bailey
    WCS dancers need to stop sponging off MJ events, and get their own space, their own areas, and their own music, and stop impinging on MJ dancers.

<sigh>
    (to the sigh).
    One of the biggest strengths of modern jive is how open / tolerant it is.

It isn't generally a zero sum game having WCS / MJ dancers together. The main conflict is only when the music is dominated by the WCS, and to be fair the music the WCS dancers prefer seems to have moved on a bit from the previously dominant endless narrow tempo thump di thump.

Plus lots of dancers don't define themselves by the dance they're doing, and don't want to be limited to strictly 1 weekender - 1 dance style.

How boring must it be to go to a WCS or Tango event and just WCS or Tango all the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post

How boring must it be to go to a WCS or Tango event and just WCS or Tango all the time.
    with bells on!

p.s. I get fed up with people assuming that, all I want to do is WCS, its not true.

I love 'dancing'... 'ALL' kinds of dancing full stop. I still love MJ and I find, if I want to, I can colour it up to suit the different genre's anyway!

Someone paid me me a huge compliment last weekend by saying, your a great ambassador for WCS, as your not snobby about it..... its just another dance to you!

...and that's right, its just another dance, no better, no worse!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

with bells on!

p.s. I get fed up with people assuming that, all I want to do is WCS, its not true.

I love 'dancing'... 'ALL' kinds of dancing full stop. I still love MJ and I find, if I want to, I can colour it up to suit the different genre's anyway!
    It's a myth that if you dance WCS it's the only dance you want to do!

with bells on!

Someone paid me me a huge compliment last weekend by saying, your a great ambassador for WCS, as your not snobby about it..... its just another dance to you!

...and that's right, its just another dance, no better, no worse!

What a fab comment, I love being able to do MJ throwing in the odd WCS move, I also love doing WCS.

I also love watching Lory and Warren tangoing in the middle of other dancers doing there thang.

Really? That says an awful lot more about you than about the dance styles themselves. And, no, I am not 'Strictly Westie', I still dance MJ and a pitiful amount of tango but that doesn't dictate how interesting or boring a time I might have at a WCS freestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    It's a myth that if you dance WCS it's the only dance you want to do!
    I'm not sure I have hear this myth ? for most in our world, people seem to have started with MJ or Ceroc and i'm sure anyone coming from that back ground have people they loved to dance with and don't do there current style.

I wasn't able to do lessons when I first started Ceroc due to Joe crying and not letting me leave him, so I had to wait till he was assleep and sneek out of the house, leaving him with a sitter, the lesson was over by the time I got to Wolverhampton, I relied on nice men helping me. I tried to be the best follower I could be to get the hang of it, its the same with my leads now I love to dance with some one who's a bit diifferent and have a go at there syle, this includes WCS I love dancing it or having a go at it, I just don't like some of the comments made by some people.

Watching Lucky and Rohni at the weekend I was so inspired. Lucky with his Lindy twist and Rohni with there WCS style coming together in a fusion of dance

OMG can't we do that?? even if some people tripple step or wear black and white shoes we could still dance together?

Then why go to an event where you know that you will be bored or its not what you want. I am of the opinion that it is personal taste and I like to spend a whole weekend doing tango, and would be dissapointed if my 'tango' weekend had other dance styles in it that I didn't know about when I booked it.

For me a dance weekend should be what it says on the packet, and I know what I am letting myself in for before I go. if I go to a 'dance' weekend that is open to all dance styles, then that is what it should be, all dance styles which are catered for at various times in various rooms with the appropriate music to suit the style.
    Last edited by rubyred; 11th-March-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    For me a dance weekend should be what it says on the packet, and I know what I am letting myself in for before I go. if I go to a 'dance' weekend that is open to all dance styles, then that is what it should be, all dance styles which are catered for at various times in various rooms with the appropriate music to suit the style.

totaly agree with this.

A bit like going to a MJ weekender going in the main room and then moaning you danced MJ totaly bizzar attitiude....or is it me?

Hello Everybody, i just joined today.
    What does WCS stand for?
    ( I live in deepest darkest France and don't get out much anymore!)

Quote Originally Posted by sootymarc View Post
    What does WCS stand for?
    Welcome to the forum sootymarc
    WCS = West Coast Swing
    a bit like this .........

and
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

What does WCS stand for?

WCS stands for ...................only joking

I think ruby sumed it up very well, and welcome to the forum good luck

Blog Entries

What does WCS stand for?
    When I first read this post, I read your name as 'Snootymarc' and I thought, hey hey, someone's 'aving a little joke here!

Its just a little ironic Marc, as sometimes the WCS'ers are 'fondly' referred too on here, as 'the snoots'

Welcome to the forum hun
    Last edited by Lory; 11th-March-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    WCS stands for ...................
    Whistling Chap Smiley?

Thread Information