Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: WCS vs MJ dancers – the CerocPort solution...

Re: WCS vs MJ dancers – the CerocPort solution...

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    for me the main issue at Skeggie was the 'westies' were in a dark corner some had there backs to the room seemingly all in a huddle, not acceserble at all, at S.P. you pass through them to get to the main room or the bar and you get a feeling there aprochable.
    I shall bring me step ladder with me next time.

DTS xxx xxx

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    To be honest babe I think the issue at Skeggy was the music piped into the blues room from an adjacent elevator, twas not westie or blues just chewing gum for your ears.

I was prepared to wait and see how they coped with the less than favorable layout at Skeggy. But getting the music so wrong, for so long, i just couldn't forgive. Peter Flood gave the only set I enjoyed. We haven't booked any others. I would prefer to go to a full on WCS, Tango, or blues event rather than another one that attempts too much at once and doesn't deliver anything that well.

DTS
    Now that you and Batgirl have done some WCS lesson, surely you are now honorary WCS'ers

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    DTS
    Now that you and Batgirl have done some WCS lesson, surely you are now honorary WCS'ers
    Oh God nnnnoooooo.

DTS XXX XXX

I shall bring me step ladder with me next time.

DTS xxx xxx

Don't bother, i'm in no rush to 'step up'

Oh God nnnnoooooo.

DTS XXX XXX

OMG thank goodness for that, I couldn't cope with you mouthing 1,2,3,4,5,6, when we were dancing I think that would be the last straw

Cool Re: WCS vs MJ dancers – the CerocPort solution...

OMG thank goodness for that, I couldn't cope with you mouthing 1,2,3,4,5,6, when we were dancing I think that would be the last straw
    I danced with a young lady on Sunday night who was counting as we danced. As I wasn't dancing WCS I couldn't help wondering if I was in time with her counting or not

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I felt quite sad when I read your post, that your experience of classes have been so negative and unfriendly.

...I have been to 2 different organisations one run by Mikeyr and the other KevF and Lory. Both evenings are really friendly .... I always tell everyone that I am an inept learner and to date they have been really helpful and patient.

As for freestyles and weekenders I don’t see any problem with MJ and WCS they can coexist

So my advice change the class if you come away feeling negative, after all dancing is supposed to be fun
    I couldn't agree more with what Maxine is saying. I've been to both of these classes and as a new leader (I've been going just over a month) the more experienced westies have been very encouraging to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    I was talking about the freestyle afterwards!
    At both the above classes the after class freestyles have been brilliant. I've been terrified but all the followers dragged me to the floor saying they don't care that I'm new and given me lot of tips and advice as well as being very patient during our dances. Plus even after making lots of mistakes I've often been asked for another dance by the majority of women.

I am not sure what we did wrong. There must be some tango-esque etiquette that we are not aware of. During the lesson, everyone was friendly, tolerant of our ineptness; smiles effortlessly accompanied their “Thank you”s as the rotation proceeded. (Hmmn, p’raps just happy to see the back of us, and move on to some-one who knew what they were doing? Say that if you must, but my point is that during the lesson, everyone managed to make us feel welcome) However, once the freestyle began, the unspoken “My God, what are they still doing here?!!!” rang out, clearly enough!

Well as other have posted, there are some very friendly WCS venues. I can higly recommend KevF & Lory's venue on Tuesdays and also Lee Eastons on a Monday. Have not attended any of the other London venues as they are a tad too far, although I have heard lots of +ve stuff about MikeyR's ventures in London.

Onkar

Quote Originally Posted by onkar View Post
    Well as other have posted, there are some very friendly WCS venues. I can higly recommend KevF & Lory's venue on Tuesdays and also Lee Eastons on a Monday. Have not attended any of the other London venues as they are a tad too far, although I have heard lots of +ve stuff about MikeyR's ventures in London.

Onkar

Thank you, everyone who has posted encouraging comments.
    It looks like we were simply very unlucky.
    The venue was very crowded, apparently there was a wide mix of couples at different levels, so not the ideal situation for us to dip our toes in a freestyle,
    We'll try again, but not 'til next week.
    Cheers, everyone.
    V -

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I danced with a young lady on Sunday night who was counting as we danced. As I wasn't dancing WCS I couldn't help wondering if I was in time with her counting or not

is that whats know as the rhythm method

its bizar, I watch a friend of mine dancing at Camber with a guy counting all the way, her face was so serious like she needed to keep with his counting, I think he thought he was been helpful, but funny thing is her dancing has moved of so fast she's left him behind but he hasn't spotted it, its properly him that needs to keep counting to keep in time.

Thank you, everyone who has posted encouraging comments.
    It looks like we were simply very unlucky.
    The venue was very crowded, apparently there was a wide mix of couples at different levels, so not the ideal situation for us to dip our toes in a freestyle,
    We'll try again, but not 'til next week.
    Cheers, everyone.
    V -
    You know, I still can't work out what you could have been doing that would have gotten the response that you did. You were at a WCS event, and you were dancing WCS, with each other. I must have missed something but it sounds like you were not being a bother to anyone. the only thing you could have done would be to have chosen your slot to be at right angles to everybody elses slot, thereby cutting short the slots of about four other couples.

If you were off in a corner and other people were walking around the dance floor and cutting off the corner they would have been the ones that were getting in your way not vice versa.

OK the place may have been very crowded but you have paid your money just like everyone else and are entitled to dance. It doesn't matter what level you are at you fit the dancing into the space available. It is just the same as at MJ events - you fit your dancing to the space but you don't push couples that are already dancing out of the way just so you can get on the floor.

As I said I just can't see what you could have done to get the response that you did. I can only say that not everywhere is the same.

But at least it might keep his mouth busy... and stop him from licking people

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    But at least it might keep his mouth busy... and stop him from licking people

He hasn't licked me yet

and true at lease when there counting it stops them looking stupid with a big wide surprised mouth open

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    You know, I still can't work out what you could have been doing that would have gotten the response that you did. You were at a WCS event, and you were dancing WCS,
    erm, possibly not recognizably...once while practising at an MJ venue, a girl asked us where we were taking "Cha-Cha" lessons.

erm, possibly not recognizably...once while practising at an MJ venue, a girl asked us where we were taking "Cha-Cha" lessons.
    Well at least it looked like whatever you were doing was dancing - that is a start isn't it? It is not like people called paramedics when they saw what you were doing.

I have seen myself dancing on video a few times and always hated what I saw. Even when you think "hey this feels like I am really getting the hang of this" it still looks a bit pants when you see yourself doing it on video.

I was at a lesson over the last weekend and the instructor said that almost all WCS is danced socially so why were we trying to base our dancing on the 10% of competative dancing that we see on youtube. Some people have their eyes on the near fortnightly competitions and gear the aims of the dancing to that as they have every right to. If that is not what you want out of your own dancing you have every right not to follow them. It is your dancing - get out of it what you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Does this mean that jivers are so bored they cannot bear to have a weekender without the diversion of workshops?
    Competitions add another element to a weekend - so even if there is nothing else to do they make it less boring. Take latin and ballroom competitions where (I understand) there isn't much or anything of a freestyle element.

I understand even WCS weekenders usually have some workshops (often fairly decent, and I believe you might even have (helpfully and usefully) reviewed some in the past).

I'm not sure if it is relevant but Blackpool might be considered a weekender.

Thread Information