Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Re: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Music.

I will preface my music critique with the proviso that I am aware that music is a subjective topic.

Much has been said about the music played this weekend and I for one felt some of it was poor.

My love of dancing is inspired by the music.

Since the inception of JA weekenders at SP it has been the music emanating from the "Queen Vic" ( I won't call it the Blues room for fear of skewing anyones opinion of the music ) that has been most outstanding memory for me and I belive many others.

Initially it was the daytime ad hoc djs (there hasn't always been a daytime set DJ list)who have pumped out classic well loved tunes. Eclectic mixes of slower music. I am really trying not to describe any genre of music whilst writing this as I do want you all to realise that most genres were played at every SP during the daytime. Most tracks were already well known to most of us and I for one was inspired by the music.
    I found it difficult to stop dancing (normally until I was dragged away cos Mrs Par was overtired or starving or my own exhaustion or I ran out of dry shirts).

What I am trying with difficulty to say is that the "Queen Vic" music had infinite variety. Yes there would be one or 2 overplayed tracks but the track following it would be different, often different tempo or different genre.

Music. Is something we all like as dancers. We all have differing views on what is great and not so great. We all have opinions on this topic and we all have favourite tracks , tracks we know well and are comfortable with. They are OUR FAVOURITES generally because they are great tracks.

Now here is my main point about some of the music played at Skegness in Jaks in the afternoons.........

WHERE were the classic tracks of all genres? Where were all our favourites?
    Where was the variety? Where was the spice of life?

Now I am very good friends with many of the DJs who played this weekend and I offer my thoughts to you all including John and Wes free of charge.

The mal content in Jaks was caused by lack of variety, lack of familiarity and lack of favourites.

Again I do not wish to be genre specific or DJ specific but you all know that I am a freestyle junkie I just love it, but too many tracks played were just like the previous one. Very few were familiar to me or anyone I was dancing with.
    The tempo or genre rarely changed and I , yes even I became a mal content.

An analagy I will use will be genre specfic is a salsa club night I have been to, after a while I do not know where one track finishes and another starts...to me its the same rhythm repeated over and over without variety (apologies to salseros in the house), without familiarity we all struggle.

So I pose the questions why have we stopped playing the favourites?
    Why are we playing so many tracks nobody knows?
    Why has the variety and spice of life disappeared?
    Which leads to the point of tempo (not genre) why so many tracks of the identical tempo one after another.

Lets have our favourites of all genres played in the Skegness "Queen Vic" which is called Jaks in June PLEASE.
    So many great dancers out there wanting to dance, wanting to be inspired, wanting to love you DJs.

Give them what you know they like and lots of it, in all its various forms and genres.

On one last point about favourites. There are many classic favourite tracks that have been played at venues all around the country, why oh why when it comes to a weekender (not specifically JA events) do DJs insist on playing any version of the track but the one everyone loves?

I do not claim to speak for the majority but I offer you these words as one who heard enough mal content-itus to care.

I care because I love to dance.

I would willingly put one or two bones on the favourite tracks of mine I didn't hear that I would love to hear. If anyone is intereted PM me.

Last comment from me just in case any one was unsure from reading the above posts .............when Mrs Par was well and we did get out to dance Friday evening / Saturday afternoon/ Sunday afternoon and night I danced my little socks off with some of the most delightful ladies (and DTS) and really got into my groove and was very sad to have to leave Monday.

to all who took up the Under Par challenge THANKYOU x x

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I began to think about this thread on Friday, as all my friends and fellow forumites headed off to a new and untested venue.
    A discussion started on another thread, which started me thinking..... I really DO want to know everything.

Here's a few snippets

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    The Spa people havent phoned back or responded to e-mail.
    So thats a Nil points to start
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I will be waiting with baited breath, for all the gossip and chat about the new venue etc.

Safe journey everyone and have a great time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I wonder if people will tell it like it really is/was in the aftermath thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    My prediction is that people will do post as they usually do in an aftermath thread, some people with complain and others will say what a great time they had. Some people will blow the bad things out of proportion and some people will say that the average dancing in the blues room at 6am was fabulous. And most people will say that they had a fabulous time - because that's what they were determined to have

I'll probably take most of what I read on here with a pinch of salt but it doesn't stop me enjoying reading it all, especially if its a well constructed post, which gives an informative and balanced view, for those of us that couldn't make it this time but I do like a touch of loveliness thrown in, just for good measure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

Have already been on the phone and got texts last night.
    So, in my endeavour to keep my mind off of other matters (like now, its 5am and I can't sleep ) I thought I'd construct a template, asking everything I wanted to know.

There was no motive behind this, other than to get a clear, full and balanced insight into an event which i'd looked forward to going on from the moment I'd booked.
    At the time of posting this thread, there was no way of knowing if people would come back raving about it and we'd have thread full of praise or if they'd have been disappointed?

Believe it or not, I'm actually quite shocked at how frank and honest people's reviews have been.. which kind of sits slightly uncomfortably with me, as i feel I've forced people into writing stuff that they'd usually gloss over.

BUT....

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    I know John and Wes worked tirelessly to overcome the teething problems of their first Skegness.
    I know they will listen to all the feedback and make June an even better experience.
    So, its onwards and upwards

And to the cynics, who've tried to discredit me on this thread (and very much upset me in the process)... go back and read your own reviews again! And see if they're any more balanced than the one you've 'wrongly' intimidated that's a Ceroc plant!

We all missed Lory
    On a personal note... A huge thank you, to all my friends, from the bottom of my heart!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

to all who took up the Under Par challenge THANKYOU x x
    My favourite Underpar challenge was being grabbed by you on my way out (far too sensibly early) on Sun eve/Mon Morn to be 'forced' to do justice to the last part of All That Jazz cos you said it just HAD to be done as that track is SO me...

Boy, were you right and what a great finish to a very mixed weekend.

Thank you!!

Any surprise.... 'Wow..... that was a brilliant innovation'? I thought taking the distibution of keys off of the holiday camp made for a quicker turn round and there was no queueing when I was on the desk.
    Forgot to say earlier - it was a nice change that the four of us sharing one apartment had a key each for once, rather than the usual two to be shared by four

Blog Entries

Lory being Lory

:
    Lory, it was a great template and easy to use. I used it as did loads of others.

Dont ever let anybody on this forum get to you because trust me, nobody is worth it.

I thought it was a great idea and it helped me, actually inspired me to bother posting at all.

Cheers my love and see ya soon.
    xxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    Forgot to say earlier - it was a nice change that the four of us sharing one apartment had a key each for once, rather than the usual two to be shared by four
    It was indeed a nice change to have one key apiece. Was most suprised when asking if we can have another key the response was "sure, how many do you want?".
    Having previously tried to find chalet-mates at 2 in the morning among crowded dance floors, when they have already gone back, it was most appreciated . Especially given the 10 minute walk back.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

And to the cynics, who've tried to discredit me on this thread (and very much upset me in the process)... go back and read your own reviews again! And see if they're any more balanced than the one you've 'wrongly' intimidated that's a Ceroc plant!
    I think you made it clear where the review came from, personally as a bastion of...well just a bastion, I thought it was a helpful review, as all the reviews generally have been - positive and negative. Skegness was different to Southport but then it would be wouldn't it - I can see that some negative comments are purely down to the fact that it IS different to Southport in some areas Luckily there were some negative reviews otherwise Rocky would claim they were all reviews were written by JA sychophants

"intimidated that's a Ceroc plant!" Did you mean intimated?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detomo View Post
    It was indeed a nice change to have one key apiece. ..snip....Especially given the 10 minute walk back.
    Poor Jennifer had a key that didn't work. She walked back to the chalet at about 6am and couldn't get in because I had locked the door
    So had to walk back to Jaks to get another key. Sorry Jennifer.

Blog Entries

Just printed off the June form. !!

Cant wait to try that roller coaster. !! xxx

Right - only just catching up with the forum, and have only read the first 5 pages of this thread so apologies if there's any repeat.

Please people dont refer to it as blues room . Jaks was a WCS room with a few good line dancing tracks.
    Now trust me here,
    IT WASN'T.

As a number of others have said:

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyAngel View Post
    And as for Friday night - who was complaining about too much WCS music?! I think it was too much bland, thump thump music that was about the right tempo for WCS but that's about as far as it went. I don't think it was a Blues vs. WCS thing - I didn't speak to anybody in that room that liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    It felt as though every DJ was trying to out-cool the last, with the result that it was all incredibly samey and bland

The music was the biggest disappointment of this weekend. It is my biais to be solely interested in music I feel like WCSing to, but with that in mind, I can tell you that most of the music I heard played in Jaks was simply dreadful. As someone else put it, it felt like DJs were trying to outstrange each other with the most obscure and bland tracks I've ever heard. Nothing wrong with new and challenging music, but it needs to be interesting.
    Most of the time you could see both westies and jivers complaining to the DJ booth.

The only notable exceptions to that were:
    - Dance Demon's late saturday night set (after 4 am) - what a great chilled out set. I seem to remember that's what the blues room used to be about, where has it gone ?
    - Pete (of Pete and Eva) on sunday evening - the only time I've heard those tracks that I've come to associate with 'classic SP blues music', such as Sweat, Wade in the Water, and other down and dirty blues music.

Only caught the end of ZW's set on sunday afternoon (which seemed quite good, although more funky than what I would call typical blues room music), and missed totally Tessalicious' set which I heard was great.

We finally got a 'proper' WCS set in Arthurs on sunday, but that was too little too late for me (and on a sticky floor too).

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    MUSIC!!!! I would have happily stayed in Jaks the whole time, therefore neatly avoiding the problem of going outside to change venue. However, I found much of the music there to be dreary, sluggish and generally uninspiring except for those who were proficient WCSwingers.
    I think I'm a proficient enough westie to comment on this, and again trust me the last adjective I would use to describe the music would be inspiring, as explained above.

On a more general note, and as someone who has lost pretty much any interest in MJ:

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that, despite having WCS pros as headline teachers, JA are running Jive weekenders. That's perfectly fine, but that means that as a westie I am now very much bored. Last weekend wasn't good. Yes I might have spoilt myself going to the US too much, but I'd rather have a night's freestyle with good music and the SE based westies (i.e. the 'hard core' group at Skeggy who pretty much only danced wcs) than a weekend in Skegness.

And to be fair, observing the blues room at times, I don't think I ever saw more than 1/5 to 1/4 of the floor dancing wcs at a time. So we are a very small minority there. Is it worth for JA to cater for us ? I don't know. But John and Wes will have to make a decision, and fast. Either they do try and cater for WCS dancers, in which case we may need more dedicated time to dance (where, I don't really care as long as the floor is good), or they focus on their main MJ dancers (and could save a lot of money by not hiring US pros!).
    I have provisionally booked for June, but I'm very much thinking about cancelling and not going. John and Wes have all my sympathy for running (what used to be for me) great weekenders, and bringing over inspiring pros, and having to make do with a new venue, but at the end of the day if I am not going to take time off, make a long journey, and pay my ticket to get bored for the best part of 3 days. Again, it is my flaw rather than JA's, but they do need to decide what approach they want to take with WCS dancers - and if it is in favour of the jivers, I totally respect that decision.

I think the WCS scene might now be big enough to have its own weekenders?
    Last edited by Caro; 18th-February-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Oh F*F*S, I haven't said much about this whole predictable 'look at the Westie hotshots with their heads up their arses' aftermath but this takes the biscuit. fletch, you know sweet FA about the WCS scene beyond a petty obsession with digging at gerry.

Why should we have a word 'on the QT' when it's YOU that has the problem with these people. I don't dispute there are people who dance WCS whose ego outstrips their ability but the same can be said of people in all walks of dance and life. You wonder why some of these people may or may not welcome you with open arms? Well, when you post stuff like this is it really any surprise that they might start to feel defensive and seek refuge within groups of their friends?
    Ok rob your saying I know nothing about the wcs scene? maybe? but I do talk to people in the seen and observe including there attitude towards others, if its only me and my petty digs at Gerry how come there othere making comments? There are two sides to every story you only know one, you would think after 12 months I would be left alone. it still has not stoped

As fas WCS not welcoming me with open arms my comments only apply to a few people and there attitude towards others, thats me sticking up for the under dog again, I believe we all have something to offer we just might be different embrace the difference, and this include 'black and white shoes wearing triple steppers' this might come as a relay shock but guess what 'there dancers to'

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    But John and Wes will have to make a decision, and fast. Either they do try and cater for WCS dancers, in which case we may need more dedicated time to dance (where, I don't really care as long as the floor is good),
    I spoke to John on Monday morning, he said they were looking at putting different flooring into Arthurs and putting dedicated wcs slots (and other genres) in there for June. Is that fast enough a decision
    I think the WCS scene might now be big enough to have its own weekenders?
    As you know, there are already a few WCS weekenders planned in the UK for this year. So yes it is big enough now.
    I'm one that likes a mix of both though and am quite sad about the divide that is happening.

Wasnt sure why they have around 800 lights on 24/7 . The flood lights in the car park (14 of them ?) shone into our room but we put a duvet up as a curtain and that seem to work. Not sure how that goes with carbon foot print
    My apartment was like a greenhouse when I walked in.
    ps wasnt some of the beds creaky
    Wouldn't know about that . I did have a double bed, but kept knocking my shins on it.

Restaurants.....used Finegins fish and chipshop lovely...
    I'm fussy about my fish and chips, coming from Scarborough.
    If the cafe called Front Room (opposite Jaks)could be comandeered from Butlins it would make a fab front desk/meeting place and create the community enviroment.
    Good idea. It sells Costa Coffee too.
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    As fas WCS not welcoming me with open arms my comments only apply to a few people and there attitude towards others, thats me sticking up for the under dog again, I believe we all have something to offer we just might be different embrace the difference, and this include 'black and white shoes wearing triple steppers' this might come as a relay shock but guess what 'there dancers to'
    The dance world will benefit from Eclectism over Dogmatism.

Originally Posted by jivecat
    MUSIC!!!! I would have happily stayed in Jaks the whole time, therefore neatly avoiding the problem of going outside to change venue. However, I found much of the music there to be dreary, sluggish and generally uninspiring except for those who were proficient WCSwingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post

I think I'm a proficient enough westie to comment on this, and again trust me the last adjective I would use to describe the music would be inspiring, as explained above.

It's been something of a revelation to me that WCS dancers found the music every bit as boring as MJers. In my ignorance I did fondly imagine that skilful WCSers were magically wringing subtle musicality out of rhythms that seemed to me dull and pedestrian. There seemed to be no other reason for including such music in the sets. I assumed that the tedium of the music was pleasing somebody, just not me - as it turns out it was pleasing nobody.

At least there's a hope then of achieving consensus between the two groups on what constitutes good dance music.

In my ignorance I did fondly imagine that skilful WCSers were magically wringing subtle musicality out of rhythms that seemed to me dull and pedestrian.
    lol - I wish ! Wouldn't that be great, being that skilled that you'll find stuff to exploit in any old boring track ? I'm sure that Tatiana could though

At least there's a hope then of achieving consensus between the two groups on what constitutes good dance music.
    I do think so. What I've come to associate to classic SP blues music (like DD or Pete's sets) makes for awesome wcs. WCS music is a bit wider than that, and at time we do like the high energy stuff that would be better suited for a different room, but any chilled out set shoud make for great wcs too.

Well Im not home yet, Lee and myself are spending a couple of days in Nottingham with family. Still a long way home !

I have had a great weekend although different from Southport retrospectively good in different ways. Skeggy is easier for us to get to, arrange cover for the children (with Nott's being not to far away. Cheers MUM !)

Accomodation- Great, clean and hot showers which stay on until we turn them off, we also had a spare room which which was great for our clothes. Also as we shared with a friend there was plenty of room which may of been difficult in a pontins chalet.

Reds- A lovely well lit, sexy and vibrant room. A BIG shame about the floor. By saturday afternoon my shoes had a 1 1/2 inch hole in them which was pretty destroying for the rest of the weekemd.

Arthurs - I did not spend much time in here, but great twinkly atmosphere.

Jaks - Much better once the tables and chairs were removed and I could hide in a corner. There was still plenty of chair space and overall I loved this venue.

Music - I know that Lee has posted on this so I am not going to say too much. Yes I struggled to get into it with some of the sets, but I have to say that on Sunday evening I thought I had my last dance at midnight. I was tired, could not feel my feet and then Roger Chin gave "to me" a great set, followed by lovely dances with Under Par, Stokie, Magic Hans, TSH and the lovely Mr Darcy I ressurected.

I was gutted not to of danced to Bolero, instead I had to watch Lee get on his knees and sway side to side with a chair !

Teacher - I loved Kyle and Sarah great teachers and good to see them on the social dance floor. The Tang class failed miserably again due to the large numbers and it was quite obvious that after 10 minutes if you had arrived as a single lady for this class you would not get a dance.

WCS classes great but I do think their should be a DJ/Technician present at every class and I am sure there would be plenty of keen volunteers. The teachers should only have to concentrate on the teaching.

Great to see same friendly faces, and watching Smiley Su and Randall dance.

Throughout the weekend we bumped into John and Wes who I know have many great ideas for the next one which I am looking forward to. Great to the JA team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I'm one that likes a mix of both though and am quite sad about the divide that is happening.
    I'm quite pleased, it'll mean more room for Lindy classes and swing music.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    My apartment was like a greenhouse when I walked in.
    Full of plants, weedkiller and bags of fertiliser?

Forgot to mention my main negative.

The clothes and shoes stalls. Could we not have some variety ? There was nothing suitable clothes wise for the lady with a slightly larger chest !!! The clothes are geared for more fancier styles. Ballroom, latin etc. I remembered the tops from last time !

Also I was unable to buy a basic pair of suede soled practice shoes and again a small piece of suede on sale would of helped. As my shoes had broke. Even a pair of leg warmers would be nice or new shoe laces. There was nothing for an emergency that a dancer may need.

On the south coast we have very few dance outlets so we like to make our purchases at weekenders. There was nothing for me and Lee does not fancy a pair of snake skins or two toned shoes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laughalot Bear View Post
    There was nothing suitable clothes wise for the lady with a slightly larger chest
    It's not that unusual to overhear comments like "I'd struggle to get one nipple in that!"

Also I was unable to buy a basic pair of suede soled practice shoes and again a small piece of suede on sale would of helped. As my shoes had broke. Even a pair of leg warmers would be nice or new shoe laces. There was nothing for an emergency that a dancer may need.

There was nothing for me and Lee does not fancy a pair of snake skins.
    I was quite pleased with my new snakeskin dance shoes.

Thread Information