Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Re: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I would love to know who these dance snobs actually are.
    If I knew names I'd tell you... Then again I'm not one for getting to know people just because they can dance, or think they can. Can you really not see them? I'm not just talking about WCSers either, though most of them do seem to dance WCS.

Does no one see that it could actually be intimidating for them to be expected to lead or follow a Jiver? I've heard a few of them say they find it so difficult to Jive.
    James Mclaughlan seems to fake jive pretty well. I don't see why others can't do the same? It's not really an excuse is it?

I'm afraid to say I really missed the layout of Southport as there were so many people I knew were there and I just didn't see. For me the whole sense of community was missing due to the separate venues and sharing it with Muggles. It felt more like going to a freestyle every night rather than being at a weekender.

I also left Ed's at 4ish on the Saturday to go to Jak's and after half an hour thought, "Not really enjoying this", got my coat and stuff to go back to Ed's and thought, "May as well go back to the apartment" (which was as far away as you could get). That wouldn't have happened at SP.

I really want to support John and Wes but SP is an hour up the road for me - as opposed to 4 for Skeggie, and the extra cost (it's a huge difference when 2 are sharing) meant my friend who I've been to every SP with couldn't afford to go and I really missed her.

We both booked for Summer last September and we'll probably still go - although maybe not. I thoroughly enjoyed the dancing but if a similar crowd turn up at Southport in the Summer (I'm not going to the first one on principle but I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face after that) I'll go there.

It's nothing to do with JA, who I think do a sterling job, but the accommodation and classes aren't important to me (apart from the bed, which was really uncomfortable at Skeggie, which I've never had problems with at SP!), and the travel and venue layout are so I'll get a better experience at SP (if a similar crowd are there) whatever John and Wes do. I'm pretty POed, because they built SP into something special, and if I choose SP over Skeggie in the future it's with a heavy heart.

A huge thanks to John and Wes for all their efforts (especially John for the dances ) - and I know they'll take on board all feedback and improve it every time - but the site layout and distance from my house are beyond their control, so unless the decent dancers snub SP I may end up going to SP over Skeggie.

In one word CRAP,

Accomindation, EXCELLENT, shame bout the 50mile hike to the dance floor...

If i wasnt for the people at the venue who made it worth while i would have drove home saturday.

Travelling to event was roughly the same as sp for me!!

Chalets were fantastic

Dance Halls were good especially reds

Music was fine sat and sun found some of the tracks a bit strange in jaks on fri night

Had loads of good dances

Enjoyed the cabaret's

P.S thanks fletch for the dances they were fab and fun!

Big thanks to john and wes as always it's worth the drive from Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Toasti View Post
    I'm afraid to say I really missed the layout of Southport as there were so many people I knew were there and I just didn't see. For me the whole sense of community was missing due to the separate venues and sharing it with Muggles.
    In summer you'll be able to pick out the dancers more easily, as we'll be in summer clothes with our wristbands exposed.

I would love to know who these dance snobs actually are.
    Unfortunately I get the feeling there are a fair number of them.

If there is one thing I hate about dancing it is the small minority that give the dance(s) a bad name. In the case of WCS I wrote a sizeable email today to a lady who was asking about lessons in an attempt to reassure her that the bad experiences with certain people while she was starting out is certainly not indicative of all WCS dancers.

From speaking to ladies, I know of a few leaders who I suggest fit this dance snob category. Of course I am not going to name names but if they think that they are above dancing with ANYONE then they should take a long hard look at themselves and why they dance. If then they still cannot understand how they are hurting peoples feelings then they should sod off into their own little world because they are not welcome in mine.

Bring back hanging. That's what I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    He had no intention of posting anything publicly. I ASKED HIM if I could post his message as a review!
    Hmmm...

If he had no intention of posting publically then why did he write it in such a way that constitute a review, in such a formal way that was not intended for just one pair of eyes (ie not written with a personal touch or on a personal level), and why did he send it to a person who he hadn't met yet amazingly is a moderator on this forum (and yes I know you started the thread). Spooky coincidence maybe?
    He may not have asked you to post it, that's probably certain in fact though he didn't need to ask you as he most have known that you would ask to post it on his behalf.

Why write so much for one pair of eyes? Why write it to you and not to Jon & Wes? Maybe it was sent to Jon & Wes? I just don't know. But from an outside point of view it just looks like a fishy Ceroc plant. It may not be, granted, but it WILL be perceived that way whether you like it or not.

Now if he put his name on it, I'd praise him for speaking honestly. Till then he's a coward in my view. But that is just my view.

And I know I don't know all the facts. But I do know what I have perceived from it all. Whether I perceived right or wrong is not important.

I didn't do much of the weekend - too boring and personal to explain why on this forum

I loved the Jaks venue, it has so much potential and from the posts above it appears to be the Forumites fave too.

I was disappointed that the music early Sunday pm (dancer choice options) was sooooooooo bluesy, would have prefered something a little more up tempo for so early in the day, however I did still enjoy my time in there and had some fab dances.

Accomodation was far superior to Pontins - very much like Bognor Butlins

The journey was more tidious than Southport but shorter and cheaper on petrol - but enjoyed it as I had a fab travelling companion (Warren) who is a great listener (nods and grunts in all the right places)

I know that John and Wes will be reading this thread and they appreciate all feedback whatever it may be as it can only help to make their weekenders better as they DO listen, so expect some changes in June.

I would like to thank John, Wes their lovely wives and all their very helpful crew for all the hard work they put in.

I for one, am looking forward to June, we now know the layout (and hopefully have kept the plans) so we know what to expect. I don't think we clash with school hols again, so we should have more exclusive time to use the Butlins facilities and we could even organise a forum beach party (anyone for skinny dipping )

PS: The only real neg point - really missed not seeing Lynn & Lory

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    Actually it you are talking about the bit done on the raised bit directly across the dance floor from the door – this was done by Jon on Sunday after the final class finished– purely to make more space

Was me that mentioned it to him

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    I don’t understand why there had to be heating and air-con at the same time. In my room when I arrived was a big pamphlet from Butlins explaining how they have reduced their carbon footprint. ! .
    I also notice that Butlins skegness and the great wall of China have something in common

They both can be seen from space

Wasnt sure why they have around 800 lights on 24/7 . The flood lights in the car park (14 of them ?) shone into our room but we put a duvet up as a curtain and that seem to work. Not sure how that goes with carbon foot print

ps wasnt some of the beds creaky

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    ps wasnt some of the beds creaky
    Yeah, me and Gav noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Was me that mentioned it to him
    Made a huge difference. Great idea

Commercial Operator

Briefly from me.
    I had a great weekend. I had some great dances, and met up with lots of people I haven't seen in ages. I thought the venues were better than at Southport, and by the end of the weekend came away thinking that Jaks was a better blues room than at Southport, something that I didn't think was possible.
    The accommodation was like the Ritz compared to Pontins at Southport, and there were lots of other things to do if you wanted a break from dancing, as well as a wide choice of eating out places for those that can't be bothered cooking..
    I agree with Fletch's sentiments, in that the JA Southports were special, but are no more..So I'll be happy to go to a bigger, better weekender at Skegness from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by scotttwin View Post

In summary, my friends and I have come to the conclusion that the success of Southport actually had very little to do with Wes and John, but more accurately the layout and facilities of the dance venues at Southport. ‘Jive Addiction’ had an edge when very few others were bringing over US stars, but that’s all changed. I therefore fail to see what differentiates now any of the weekenders other than the location/venues.
    I think you & your friends need to rethink this sentiment. At a time when everyone had to travel to the South coast to get to a weekender, John & Wes took the risk of running the first big weekender in the North. The risk worked, and Southport became the benchmark for all weekenders. They worked particularly hard to bring top name Teachers and DJs to their events, something that had never been done before, and their formula has since been copied by other organisers. i think that the southport success had everything to do with john & wes, as if it wasn't for them, there wouldn't have been southport as we all knew and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    If the lead takes you on the floor and just starts dancing with you they will be able to tell within a few moments if you can WCS. They could then adapt the dance to suit. That is assuming of course that they are a good lead.
    It is also assuming of course they can lead MJ - some people forget there are Westies who have never done any MJ at all, and some of them were there at Eclipse. So asking politely whether someone can do WCS could just be to avoid putting their partner in an awkward position.

I know I've had a conversation with at least one of the WCS leads in this situation who has been wondering what the best approach is - particularly when asked to dance by follows who he doesn't know and who may or may not dance any WCS.

I completely agree though there's no need for general rudeness.

FunkyAngel

I would love to know who these dance snobs actually are. :
    and i would love to post there names but I carn't afford the infraction for naming and shaming, but I have already told you one

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

James Mclaughlan seems to fake jive pretty well. I don't see why others can't do the same? It's not really an excuse is it?

now you tell me its all fake booohooo

Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post

P.S thanks fletch for the dances they were fab and fun!

Big thanks to john and wes as always it's worth the drive from Scotland
    yoooo my man give me five

I loved our dances they were my best of the weekend.

go on tell 'em tell em go on

do you jive ?

what were we doing ?

nananan

anyway i'v told you you better stop chatting to me or them westies will snub you

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Unfortunately I get the feeling there are a fair number of them.

If there is one thing I hate about dancing it is the small minority that give the dance(s) a bad name. In the case of WCS I wrote a sizeable email today to a lady who was asking about lessons in an attempt to reassure her that the bad experiences with certain people while she was starting out is certainly not indicative of all WCS dancers.

From speaking to ladies, I know of a few leaders who I suggest fit this dance snob category. Of course I am not going to name names but if they think that they are above dancing with ANYONE then they should take a long hard look at themselves and why they dance. If then they still cannot understand how they are hurting peoples feelings then they should sod off into their own little world because they are not welcome in mine.

Bring back hanging. That's what I say!
    fab post Paul, maybe now with people like you posting the people that have been telling me for some time its in my imagingation might now start opening there eyes and get there head out ot the sand.

It is a minority pearsonaly I think if the good guy's and glas out there don't want to judged by the bad ones, then they need to have a word on the QT

if that fails then kick the ***** out of them (joke)

I have to say they are been mighty quirt for a change

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Fletch's sentiments, in that the JA Southports were special, but are no more..So I'll be happy to go to a bigger, better weekender at Skegness from now on.

I think you & your friends need to rethink this sentiment. At a time when everyone had to travel to the South coast to get to a weekender, John & Wes took the risk of running the first big weekender in the North. The risk worked, and Southport became the benchmark for all weekenders. They worked particularly hard to bring top name Teachers and DJs to their events, something that had never been done before, and their formula has since been copied by other organisers. i think that the southport success had everything to do with john & wes, as if it wasn't for them, there wouldn't have been southport as we all knew and loved it.
    I think its quite exciting john and wes might not agree but I just wonder as the skeggies unfold how they will develop, I didn't go to the 1st SP I started at the second, but the differnce was massive.

I did meen to post re scotwin.

to be honest i'm shoked by the comments, John and Wes
    are sooo the reason it worked well, flip me we were like little kids and an Xmas list some years, can we have ............can we have.......if it wasn't flooing on the deccing, its been WCS's flown in from the USA even to can we have new BBQ's the little ones don't work, each time we had improvements.

I hope john and Wes make enough money to put some back for the adjustment, BTW I have no problem in them earning a living there not a charity. So to the pearson who posted about some cheep Butlins deal (can't look though all the post to find it) if you want a cheep deal save cupons out the sun and get one for £9.50 thats not what I want or what I got I got value for my money.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    and i would love to post there names but I carn't afford the infraction for naming and shaming, but I have already told you one
    Yes you have.

It is a minority pearsonaly I think if the good guy's and glas out there don't want to judged by the bad ones, then they need to have a word on the QT
    OK, I'll do you a deal. Tell me who the others are (in private) and I will have that quiet word. Unless they/we are told who they are then how on earth can we change it?!
    I hate the fact that a small number of them are apparently the cause of so much alienating. WW3 could be started by the WCS and MJ crowd at this rate!

[QUOTE=fletch;534552]

yoooo my man give me five

I loved our dances they were my best of the weekend.

go on tell 'em tell em go on

do you jive ?

Nope

what were we doing ?

West coast swing

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Ah, I've just sussed out who you are Dinoman ( the picture on your profile helped though)

I won't name names either - but I will say that the guy I mentioned earlier was primarily a jiver and has since learnt WCS. So he doesn't have the excuse of not being so confident in leading jive for acting like such a tit. It's a shame, because I've really enjoyed dancing with him in the past but feel much less inclined to now.

On the plus, my friend (who isn't on the forum) has been really touched by the nice comments and PMs I've had from people agreeing that his behaviour was unacceptable. It's also not meant to be a tirade against all WCSers but just his specific behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    fab post Paul, maybe now with people like you posting the people that have been telling me for some time its in my imagingation might now start opening there eyes and get there head out ot the sand.

if that fails then kick the ***** out of them (joke)

I have to say they are been mighty quirt for a change
    Oh F*F*S, I haven't said much about this whole predictable 'look at the Westie hotshots with their heads up their arses' aftermath but this takes the biscuit. fletch, you know sweet FA about the WCS scene beyond a petty obsession with digging at gerry.

Why should we have a word 'on the QT' when it's YOU that has the problem with these people. I don't dispute there are people who dance WCS whose ego outstrips their ability but the same can be said of people in all walks of dance and life. You wonder why some of these people may or may not welcome you with open arms? Well, when you post stuff like this is it really any surprise that they might start to feel defensive and seek refuge within groups of their friends?

Thread Information